is this a record?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Owen

is this a record?

Post by Owen »

I know people like to look down on Lomo kit because it's not posh or gucci and their drysuits don't cost a grand so "can't possible be what I need." For a very gentle paddle across the bay to sit on the sea front eating ice cream? But, I brought my Lomo drysuit at the end of 2007, today I took in into Lomo's shop to get a wrist seal replaced. It's a bit faded, one of the velcro patches has come off and it's worn in places but it still keeps me dry and as I don't get very sweaty in it it must still breath. I just thought I'd big-up Lomo and see if anyone else has a Lomo suit older than 8 and a bit years.

Douglas Wilcox

Re: is this a record?

Post by Douglas Wilcox »

When it comes to sea kayaking security...there is only one person to call.

This looks like a job for LOMO-MAN!

There are no leaks on LOMO-MAN!

Douglas

Owen

Post by Owen »

Nice one.

RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Delighted (truly) for you!
....But delamination 'did' for both of my suits after a very short life time.

Rich

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

...But delamination 'did' for both of my suits after a very short life time.

Rich
Did you wash them carefully after each use?
So much sea - so little time to see it.

RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Hi pathbrae,
I have used, but looked after all my suits with meticulous care. The Lomo suits were washed and dried carefully in dark conditions. Went back to lomo once and suit replaced. After that, lomo advised and supplied tape to stick over de-laminating areas and I bought quite a lot of glue from them. By now, I was getting very bored! Bought a Palm suit. Within warranty they replaced; neck and wrist seals, bum panel, back tape and under arm panels. Very leaky but just out of warrenty..even more bored! Following considerable satisfaction with Kokatat separates, matched only by failed Palm separates, I have finally taken what I hope is a dry plunge to a Kokatat dry suit!

Rich

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

I have finally taken what I hope is a dry plunge to a Kokatat dry suit!
Excellent -- I'm loving my Kokatat cag and dry trousers..... however - stop washing them! chuck them in a corner, leave them bundled up in a hatch or a bag, ignore them completely... and I bet they last a lot longer.

More seriously - over the years I've found that gore-tex (or it's equivalent) really doesn't like being washed too often. These days I give mine a rinse in a bath of clean warm water after every dozen or so wears (when it starts to get a bit smelly) and I've stopped having seam tape failures, de-lamination etc.
So much sea - so little time to see it.

Owen

Post by Owen »

Hose mine down with cold water, dry, put away.

kayakski

Post by kayakski »

Nice one Douglas! Mark at Lomo will like these!

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston »

Hi Owen,

I think my Lomo Renegade suit was purchased at about the same time as yours. Like yours, it's still dry, has never leaked and the only maintenance it's required has been replacement of the neck and wrist seals.

I've always found Lomo kit to be functional, hard-wearing and good value for money. I'm aware that some of the later suits may have some issues, but certainly the suit I bought has served me very well. After a good long while of saving up, I purchased a Kokatat Expedition drysuit, which is lighter and more comfortable on a long day. It does seem a bit unfair to compare the two though, the Lomo suit is around a third of the cost of the Kokatat suit. the Lomo suit remains in my kit cupboard for use by friends etc, and I expect it to still be going strong for years

Kind Regards

Ian

RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Hi Ian,
Like you, I have to save hard for my paddling kit. The wife counts, you know? My first Lomo suit was a very special Birthday present! Now, I truly understand your sentiment and I have been and indeed I still am a 'fan' of Lomo. ... BUT, I do think we should compare. I paddle around a day each week and really look after my kit. The lomo suit did not last a year on this basis before delamination.... And Lomo replaced the suit. Next suit lasted less and they replaced the first tube of glue. Subsequently, Palm kit has been no better. All Kokotat purchases thus far have truly 'worn out' . I so hope the new mortgage on my Drysuit lasts as long!
Previously, I would never have posted such findings. However, having spent so much money on kit which frankly, has not been fit for purpose, I have lost my earlier reticence and want fellow paddlers to be aware.
Now, always consider.; How many times has the reviewer owned / used the kit? I suspect and many will shoot me down, all this stuff is fabulously overpriced! So why spoil the ship for 'happeth of tar' ( please note, Palm) ?? Maybe, just maybe this is why Kokotat can ask such a silly price and regular users (no, not sponsored people) are prepared to pay?

Richard
Ps this Expedition Dysuit had better bloody last! .... (or I will be sleeping with one eye open!)

Mark Steel

Post by Mark Steel »

I too have an early Lomo Renegade drysuit, it is of a heavier material than the ones produced nowadays, it has served me well and is still going strong as one of my back up suits, although I have had it serviced at Lomo a couple of times. If my Kokatat last as long I shall be happy, the Kokatat does not seem to sweat as much as the Lomo or either of my other 2 drysuits but you would expect that.

Jim

Post by Jim »

I got mine at the beginning of 2008, it had a lot of use over the years (no deliberate abuse, but you know how things are). A couple of years ago I had some seals replaced and seams retaped although the interior was beginning to delaminate in some strategic areas (so it might be down to me rather than the suit). My biggest issue was that the zip started popping open at random and then later would randomly do it whilst being closed. I haven't used it for about a year, and bought an IR suit in the Autumn. The IR is a much better cut and lighter fabric and I like it lots (I've even raced in it a couple of times), only time will tell how well it lasts - the key thing for me is that the zip is streets ahead of the type Lomo use, still a TiZip, but a better style.

That said, the Renegade is about half the price so if you are on a budget, well, the IR would probably need to last 10 years based on my experience, 16 for Owen..... for Kokotat double that again.
Fortunately I am able to save up and buy the kit I am a bit more comfortable in, I really couldn't face another 5 years in a suit as heavy as the Renegade.....

tpage

Post by tpage »

Ah Douglas I still remember you taking that picture.. at least that's what I think you were doing?

lg18

Post by lg18 »

I don't care how much cheaper the Lomo Renegade is compared to other "posher" brands - mine let water in from day 1, and not just a little trickle - it poured in, big time, through the zips mainly. Wondering if I'd some how done the zips up "wrong", I tried again, and again, and again (wet rescues etc) over the course of a summer and the same happened each time. Completely useless. I could have saved the money by just jumping in the sea with just normal clothes on. At least my old Reed suit was dry to begin with, then after a lot of wear began to allow a seepage of water through the feet and bum. The Kokatat suit has so far been 100% waterproof (but the seals have gone hard after just 1 winter in a dark, cool, dry place, so not massively happy about that either!). My Lomo booties on the other hand have been absolutely superb!

Lucy