Valley Sirona^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Fozzy

Valley Sirona^

Post by Fozzy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:48 am

Anyone seen or better still paddled one of these yet?
I'm particularly interested in the plastic version but they seem to be as rare as rocking horse poo.
Seems to be a repeat of the situation when the Gemini's came out.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks

pathbrae

Re: Valley Sirona

Post by pathbrae » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:10 pm

I paddled one briefly at an Oban Sea Kayak demo day. It had the usuall excellent Valley build quality and finish. It wasn't the lightest of kayaks but that does mean it will take a lot of punishment without causing any concern about it's ability to get you home safely.
I had just had a shot in the new Nordkapp 40, which meant that every other boat I tried that day felt a bit dull and unexciting, however, from what I remember of the Sirona, it had v good static stability, was fairly quick in a straight line, edged reasonably well and seemed like a fairly easy to get on with boat. It didn't reveal any vices - but it was a very brief demo on an almost flat sea. It did pick up a bit of a push from a few small surf waves and was very easy to turn on edge before it hit the beach. It didn't have me reaching for my wallet but I didn't put it in the "bit of a stinker" category either.

However, if I didn't already have an old HM Nordkapp I would certainly be in the Q for the 40....
So much sea - so little time to see it.

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:03 pm

Thanks for that. Very interesting.
I'm heading up to Skye in May so will check out both the Sirona and the 40. Might be an expensive trip!!

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:16 pm

The Sirona comes in 3 sizes 15.10, 16.1 and 16.4. All available to demo. Plus in a few weeks time the RM version of the 16.1 hopefully in time for the March 6 th Sea kayak Oban demo day at Killington Lake just off the M6 . The other RM versions will be a bit later.
You could tie it in with a look at the new Kokatat sea kayakers drysuit with switch zip technology the Radius.
Sea Kayak Oban does at present have 3 stock 16.1 as well as the Nordkapp Forti in kevlar .
We are heading down to Valley this coming week to get even more stock but there is still space for a few more boats.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

Matt P

Post by Matt P » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:05 pm

I wonder how many people will associate the name with a (creepy) song instead of a Celtic goddess

TheEcho

Post by TheEcho » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:15 pm

The Perception Carolina reminds me of an annoying song, and that has sold squillions, so maybe it is a conscious marketing strategy.