FREE FILM>>> Girls Go Round:Corsica^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
erinbastian

FREE FILM>>> Girls Go Round:Corsica^

Post by erinbastian » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:12 pm

elveys

Re: FREE FILM>>> Girls Go Round:Corsica

Post by elveys » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:04 pm

Really enjoyed watching your adventure. Thanks for posting it.

Elliott G

Post by Elliott G » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:33 pm

Cheers - really enjoyed that.

Plan to show my daughters this to inspire them to the joy of paddling and friendship.

Matto

Post by Matto » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:59 pm

Watched from FB a week or so back. Really great.
Matto

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:08 am

Fantastic!

I really liked Corsica even though the rivers beat me up, maybe I took the wrong boats?

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:48 am

Erin,
Did you take the Nice ferrie and if so how much did it cost per person and kayak?
Did you have any problems with the Gendarmerie and their 300 meter rule?
How many hours did you paddle each day roughly?
Excuse all the questions but I live on the french Mediterranean coast and Corsica is on my list this year

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:09 pm

I think Toulon - Bastia was the cheapest route - I honestly don't know what the basic fare was because someone had dropped out and I only joined the trip at the last minute and Mat didn't want me to pay a share of the fares, only fuel and food, and in the end, a share of the cabin since after walking around the ferry we decided a cabin would be better than trying to sleep in chairs (it is an overnight route). We had a transit van with 3 canoes and a kayak on the roof. We didn't exactly do it on the cheap, driving as close to the speed limit as we could all the way through France...

I wouldn't worry too much about the 300m rule. Corsica is owned by France but in many respects it is not French and resists being French, I would imagine the Corsicans probably ignore that rule, and if not, the only times you are likely to be more than 300m off shore you will probably be out of sight of any authorities (there is an air force base or similar very close to the East coast, you might want to behave going past there).
Corsica is extremely rural (so the food is great) and very mountainous - I can't recall seeing any police, although I have heard that the locals reckon crime has increased since the police have tried to stop them carrying guns and dealing with miscreants in the old fashioned way. I can recall seeing a farmer driving around with the end of a rifle barrel leaning out through the passenger window of his pickup.... we were on best behaviour!

It really is like stepping back in time to a much more relaxed place!

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:58 pm

Hi Jim,
Thanks for that, I'll look into the Toulon ferry, it's a little closer for me than Nice. I did paddle past Toulon a few weeks ago and I could see all the grey war ships and the bored stiff water pigs.
I'm going to Corsica this year and Venice May and probably Ibiza in September.
I'll be registering my kayak soon but with the French system and not SSR cos I live here most of the year. I've been stopped a few times by the Gendarmerie and pilots and that's one of the downsides of livingand working down here.

erinbastian

Post by erinbastian » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:37 pm

Hey Nigel,

Lucky you living down there. We caught the ferry from toulon, it was really simple and non expensive. We had no trouble with the police at all, although we were paddling out of the high season. we paddled 30km a day, some times this took us 6 hours some times 8...... it depended on how much there was to explore and what conditions we paddled in.

Corsica is absolutely stunning. I would especially recommend the west coast!!!!

good luck with ur adventure.

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:27 am

Well I've bought my Corsica map now and will look into the ferries from Toulon, four hour drive from here.
I normally paddle around 50 to 60 kms a day but always stop for at least an hour after the first five hours or so.
I think this trip will take about three weeks and cost €1000.
Looking forward to the Corsica trip but I don't always trust myself to stay close to shore. Is there a preferred direction to go clockwise or anti clockwise?

Apart from Corsica another good trip down here for many to consider is the Two seas Challenge between Royan, Atlantica Coast and Marseillan plage, Mediterranean Coast, 560 kms taking in the Gironde Estuary, river Garonne, canal lateral and the canal du midi. I did it in 10 days , easy camping and shopping. This fella did it heading west but unfortunately he died two weeks ago.https://youtu.be/qUe1C7f1_bU

Grian

Post by Grian » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:26 am

That was a fabulous watch! :)

Krautsgalore

Post by Krautsgalore » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:37 am

Hi Erin,

maybe I missed out on that, but which time of year was it, when You went around Corsica?

Frank

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 pm

Found time to watch this, at last.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Keep paddling, keep telling folk about it.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

nickcrowhurst

Re: FREE FILM>>> Girls Go Round:Corsica^

Post by nickcrowhurst » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:32 pm

What a great trip, and an excellent video, thank you.
Nick.

erinbastian

Post by erinbastian » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:42 am

Krautsgalore wrote:Hi Erin,

maybe I missed out on that, but which time of year was it, when You went around Corsica?

Frank
Late september - October. not to hot but the weather does get a little stormy in Nov from experience.