Head torches!

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
RichJ

Head torches!

Post by RichJ »

Hi team,
I'm seriously fed up with crappy head Torches! Well known brand names that simply fail .. And just when you need it! Usually due to a pathetically thin piece of metal that just might have been exposed to a damp (not wet) environment.
Now come on folks, what's the dogs danglies of waterproof head torches?. Reliable, resonably powerful and a piece of kit that just won't let me down ( again)?

Richard

jamiemagee

Re: Head torches!

Post by jamiemagee »

I keep seeing the petzel emergency ones getting a good name but no good for serious stuff I suspect

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox »

Hi Richard

I use the Petzl Pixa 3. It is decently waterproof and guaranteed for three years. I got the version that works with AA batteries but there is also a rechargeable version.

Douglas

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

Pixa 3 for me as well - had one for several years ands it's the toughest head torch on the market.
Mal

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

What do you want it for? Pottering around in camp or hill-walking / kayaking? I've been a Petzl fan for years, and still have my 20+ year old Zoom. Up until recently, I've been using a Myo which has served me well, and my partner has one of the latest ones, which is really rather good! So good in fact that I started researching what's what and ended up with a Princeton Tec Apex.

It's a beast of a headtorch! Superb output on the highest setting, (275 lumen - 120m beam) and it throws a great beam as well as having a lower setting on main, two settings on flood (and a flash function). Although I note that the run-time won't be long if used constantly on full. But that's to be expected. In reality, too much output for general use, but for route finding, it's superb on that setting. On the lowest setting, it's fine for general use and even on the highest of the flood settings, it offers more than adequate output - the lowest setting is fine for general use around camp etc, or for going outside in the dark to bring in logs, coal and general work outside the house. I have no external lighting where I live.

It seems well made, although I have noted some older reviews which suggest that some people have experienced cracks in the lamp unit. Hopefully this problem has been solved, and it may apparently have been some screws which were a little too long.

I've made a point of retaining the receipt, just in case. This proved useful when I had to return the original but having bought from Amazon that was easy of course. Originally, I didn't like the buttons all that much - while they are nice and large, they require a firm press - which does of course mean that the chances of it being accidentally turned on when in a rucsac or a drybag are low. With heavy gloves, it's quite hard to turn on/off although I note that having had to return the original one as it had condensation forming despite only being used briefly in light rain, the replacement is much easier to use.

It's supposed to be waterproof - iirc to IPX7. Certainly the battery box is far better sealed than the one on the Petzl. I never had any problems with the Petzl's I've had, but I doubt the Myo would like being immersed. I suspect the Apex would be fine and the replacement isn't showing any signs of the problem the first one had with condensation.

It would be nice if it could be started on the lower settings - but this may be a personal thing. I like that it runs on AA batteries - which means I can use rechargeables. and on Eneloops I can get over 2 hours of run-time on full spot. Maybe an hour on standard Duracells. Most of the time I'm just using the flood LED's and the data suggests that will give more than adequate regulated run-time and then quite a bit to spare after that.

I like it - http://www.princetontec.com/apex

Phizz4

Post by Phizz4 »

Coming at this question from a caver's point of view (which can be pretty damaging to head torches) I have used all of the suggested items at some point and I now use a Fenix HL55. Full metal body, takes re-chargeable batteries or disposables, three light levels adjusted with one switch, plus a boost mode. A good, wide spread of light, good battery life and waterproof. Just heed the warning not to shine the light on boost close to fabric surfaces as it can burn a hole!

Mainline

Post by Mainline »

I have a 2600lm (extremely bright) cree LED head torch that I purchased from a website called Gearbest (chinese I think) and have had it for a year but not used it on the water as it would require a mount to be made for a boat/helmet. I have used this head torch whilst walking at night and the area it illuminates is incredible. This is claimed to be waterproof to 2m (IPX8) and has a very sturdy aluminium construction. I was originally looking for something branded but none of them could offer anything near the performance for the value (it cost about £35 inc delivery). Take a look:

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_15259.html

RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Thank you for all the advice! Really useful information.

All the best,

Richard