Helmets

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
JimT

Helmets

Post by JimT »

Might seem like a daft question from someone who is returning to paddling after 30 years but, does everyone wear a helmet now? We'd never have even thought of them back then and it would seem a tad strange now. I can see why you would on white water (but again never did back then) but is it expected that everyone paddling in open water does these days?

Chris Bolton

Re: Helmets

Post by Chris Bolton »

They tend to be worn when only when there's a risk of banging your head. BCU guidance (as explained to me on 4* training) is that they should be worn for surfing, rockhopping and rescue practice. Not sure what the BCU say about actual unplanned rescues. Also, in cold and windy conditions, a helmet may just be worn as a hat that doesn't fall off.

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee »

On my level 1 coach we were advised to get new comers to wear them as they'd normally be paddling in shallow water.

I think generally use common sense

Jim

Post by Jim »

You will often see helmets worn in conditions that don't require them since they double up as GoPro mounts.....

JimT

Post by JimT »

Jim wrote:You will often see helmets worn in conditions that don't require them since they double up as GoPro mounts.....
Oh yeah, something thats not going to trouble me.

JimT

Post by JimT »

jamiemagee wrote:On my level 1 coach we were advised to get new comers to wear them as they'd normally be paddling in shallow water.

I think generally use common sense
Yes I think that'll be my approach, I just wasn't sure if it was now something that any club I may join would insist on.

Sticky_wave

Post by Sticky_wave »

I always wear mine whatever kind of paddling I'm doing - as my nose plugs and ear plugs are attached. Feels a bit silly for a gentle paddle on flat water though.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst »

In addition to the occasions listed above, I also wear a helmet if I'm practicing a few rolls in shallow water which I haven't inspected at low tide, especially if I'm solo. I've banged my helmet several times doing this.
Nick.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Many of my paddling pals (who are much better than I am) seem quite happy to rock-hop sans helmet. I guess that coming from a rivers background, I'm less inclined to, even if I have to wimp out of some of the things they do if I've not got a lid with me.

Then again, one of my pals (who is seriously good!) had a little mishap last year and ended up upside down with his head scrapping off a rather nasty sloping, barnacle covered slab. He was, I noted, quite pleased he'd been wearing a helmet. So were we. I didn't have one on that day, and didn't follow him through what hadn't looked like an especially nasty gauntlet, and I had been contemplating it !

MartinG

Post by MartinG »

Any reason why I can't wear my climbing helmet for kayaking? It's lighter, better ventilated and more comfy than my kayaking helmet.

Another thing, it doesn't have any metal parts unlike my kayaking helmet which has rusty bits.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Have you retired it from climbing use?

Climbing helmets are designed around a single impact, and should then be replaced. Kayaking helmets are designed to take a lot of scrapes and bumps - although you shouldn't take many on the sea compared to WW, you should be nervous about using a helmet for climbing after it has been subjected to scraping along rocks in the boat.

You can get better ventilated kayak helmets without too much searching....

MartinG

Post by MartinG »

Thanks Jim, those are good points.

It's not retired yet so I'll keep it just for climbing. The kayaking one will have to wear out or break before I consider a new one.

coldwind

Post by coldwind »

MartinG wrote:Any reason why I can't wear my climbing helmet for kayaking? It's lighter, better ventilated and more comfy than my kayaking helmet.

Another thing, it doesn't have any metal parts unlike my kayaking helmet which has rusty bits.
Check out the range of Gath helmets, the helmet of choice for the majority of surf kayakers. They are light, comfortable and warm. The convertible model works great for moderate rock hopping, surfing etc. Some of the padding can be removed to free up the vents in the summer and the ear pieces are also detachable. Peaks and visors can also be added. You really do not realize you are wearing them, they are that comfortable. I wouldn't recommend one for white water tho

Aled

Post by Aled »