kayak tragedy on chilean lake

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
lg18

kayak tragedy on chilean lake

Post by lg18 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:47 am

Very sad news - a man has died after capsizing in southern Chile (he was the founder of North Face)...

http://news.yahoo.com/north-face-founde ... 57465.html

JB-NL

Re: kayak tragedy on chilean lake

Post by JB-NL » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:00 am

The founder of TNF...
JB
--==Never go faster than your Angel can fly==--

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:36 pm

Such a tragedy. By all accounts, conditions were pretty awful. http://www.outsideonline.com/2041301/no ... pkins-dead

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:30 pm

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:02 am

Having recently had 2 die in a New Zealand lake a few months ago it is interesting reading the 2 links that Mike provided. In the first they all capsized in 9 foot waves and some got to an island. In the second link one kayak capsized in the 6 foot waves and the rest got round a peninsula.

It was the same with the NZ incident, lots of erroneous reporting. Wind from the NW, really from the east, they all capsized when only 2 out of 11 capsized, etc. etc.

Does anyone know what make of double it was, with the faulty rudder, that capsized?

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:36 pm

While not wanting us to start speculating - - -

I've no idea what make the double was, but I can report having paddled in the company of a guy whose rudder failed (a Feathercraft single) - iirc the cable either jammed or broke - and this left him unable to control the boat. My pal had a minor epic on Loch Etive as a result of whatever happened. I've heard of a rudder jamming on full lock as well.

One comment on F/book - arguably less than helpful - and critical - suggested that they should have been able to control the boat even without the rudder. I can only assume he's either insensitive or has little experience to draw from. I've had the rudder refuse to come down on an Aleut (the control lines were fouled on the hatch cover - operator error - I should have checked before launching) and even in calm conditions, with moderate wind, and two strong and competent paddlers, it was a challenge to control.