Beaches South of Ardtoe - proposal to suspend access rights

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Hamish

Re: Beaches South of Ardtoe - proposal to suspend access rights

Post by Hamish » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:11 pm

Well it's on telly tonight... And I think it's a bit boring.

john.ruston

Post by john.ruston » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:39 pm

Part of a birthright well squandered. Also seems about the right low level for Channel 4.

Backwater

Post by Backwater » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:58 am

Pointless. Fatuous. A bit of fun for the participants. A bit of lucre for the landowner. Highland Council sold out for another bit of unreal reality. But we knew that from the start. Grump over.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:48 am

Myself and a couple of friends paddled and camped around Ardtoe and Moidart last week. From what we gathered the locals are curious about the project/program. Most seem interested to see what will happen when the midges and cleggs start in earnest.
Out of curiosity to see what would happen we paddled out from Ardtoe and headed into Kentra Bay. Very quickly a boat appeared and hovered around the south side of the estuary and beaches where it stayed until we paddled back out and a were a good 400 metres away from them. They definitely were there to dissuade anyone from approaching the beaches.
That being said, it is only a small area of an otherwise very large region to explore and not being able to access it did not diminish the enjoyment of the week. It is only for a 12 month period and personally I quite enjoyed the program last night. Hardly highbrow but putting a lot of strangers in an harsh environment for 12 months is an interesting experiment to see how they respond to each other and to the environment.
Should be a lot more interesting in December and January !!
In addition I think it can only be good publicity for tourism in Scotland. Plenty of people will realise how beautiful it can be up there.

Rog.

An0n

Post by An0n » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:29 pm

Thought it might be of interest to this thread that there was a meeting held tonight by KEO Films in Acharacle village to sound out the proposal for a second series of the Channel 4 programme Eden (initially titled Year Zero).
KEO Films have already begun the application for a second year of Section 11 to prevent public access to the beach and dunes near Ardtoe.
When asked if there is any 'end in sight' for this programme there was a 'politicians answer'.
Apart from being a local resident affected by the Section 11 and all the infra-structure of the production of this programme I am also concerned of the greater precedent this sets for access in Scotland: Which is the next estate in Scotland that wants to get rid of ramblers, hill-walkers and kayakers etc?...

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:41 pm

Sounds like this was a very expensive exercise for the company involved, £1.7 million loss, so maybe there will not be a further year of this project.
http://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-scott ... 8787845436
Gary Mascall