Advice on Clubs on the East Coast of Scotland

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
LewisC9

Advice on Clubs on the East Coast of Scotland

Post by LewisC9 »

Dear all,

Hopefully this is the correct place and you all don't mind me asking for help.

So I am looking to take up sea kayaking, as I've enjoyed myself a great deal on the several opportunities I've had to do it. However I am for all intents and purposes a complete beginner, though as a regular hill-walker/wild camper I understand the dangers the outdoors poses by not having that experiences to back you up. To that end I decided joining a club would certainly be the best idea.

Which brings me to where I hope you'll be able to help me out, I live in the Montrose area on the east coast of Scotland and from what I've found out Montrose itself does not have a club of its own, does anybody know otherwise? Secondly I know that there is definitely a club up in Stonehaven, so is anybody familiar with this club and how accepting they are of putting up with beginners?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Lewis

owain harris

Re: Advice on Clubs on the East Coast of Scotland

Post by owain harris »

Hi Lewis,
Try this link - I know my brother belongs to that one, and I have paddled up there with him,
Owain.

http://www.stonehavencanoeclub.co.uk/Se ... yaking.htm

Ian_Montrose

Post by Ian_Montrose »

Hi Lewis

I'm in Montrose as well and can confirm the town does not have it's own club. I'm a member of the Stonehaven club (http://www.stonehavencanoeclub.co.uk/) but haven't been particularly active with them this past year or so but they are beginner friendly. They usually have some coached sessions for beginners both during the winter indoor pool season and also from the harbour in spring.

Another club that operates out of Stonehaven is Integrate Paddling (http://www.integratepaddling.org.uk/). I'm not so familiar with them but I know a few of their members and they are meant to be a good club. They also have winter pool sessions and active coaches so I expect they will be beginner friendly also.

I'd suggest you email both clubs and find out what their plans are for beginner sessions next season and take it from there. You could always join both!

LewisC9

Post by LewisC9 »

Thank you both for your replies. That's a shame that Montrose doesn't have their club but thanks for the info on Stonehavens Ian as it's good to hear that their open to newcomers. I'll definitely take your advice and give them both an email so I can hopefully sort something out for the following year, though I think joining both may be getting a touch ahead of myself haha.

allan09

Post by allan09 »

I am a member of the Integrate Group. As stated we do winter pool sessions and in the spring we do run beginner sessions at Stonehaven harbour. Most of our evening trips (April to September) are out of the Stonehaven area (Cove,Catterline etc) with additional weekend trips to north and west coasts. Also weekend day trips to Moray coast and down to Arbroath area.

If interested drop me a line or e mail the club address.

Again as stated above there is the Stonehaven club. You should contact them also.

NESKY operates out of the Aberdeenshire area too. I am not sure of their contact details

LewisC9

Post by LewisC9 »

allan09 wrote:I am a member of the Integrate Group. As stated we do winter pool sessions and in the spring we do run beginner sessions at Stonehaven harbour. Most of our evening trips (April to September) are out of the Stonehaven area (Cove,Catterline etc) with additional weekend trips to north and west coasts. Also weekend day trips to Moray coast and down to Arbroath area.

If interested drop me a line or e mail the club address.

Again as stated above there is the Stonehaven club. You should contact them also.

NESKY operates out of the Aberdeenshire area too. I am not sure of their contact details
Thanks for the info, its great to hear I have plenty of opportunities around me. I've given both Integrate and Stonehaven an email so hopefully I'll get something sorted.

lg18

Post by lg18 »

Most of NESKY's meets and sessions are N of Aberdeen, so might be a bit too much of a trek for you from Montrose of an evening? I can definitely recommend Integrate, I used to be a member - a lovely club.
Lucy

LewisC9

Post by LewisC9 »

lg18 wrote:Most of NESKY's meets and sessions are N of Aberdeen, so might be a bit too much of a trek for you from Montrose of an evening? I can definitely recommend Integrate, I used to be a member - a lovely club.
Lucy
North of Aberdeen would indeed be a bit too far, however Stonehaven is perfectly located for me given that it takes a little over 20 minutes for me to get their so here's hoping I can get something sorted for the following year.

allan09

Post by allan09 »

North of Aberdeen would indeed be a bit too far, however Stonehaven is perfectly located for me given that it takes a little over 20 minutes for me to get their so here's hoping I can get something sorted for the following year.
You're sorted then. It takes me 50 minutes to get to Stonehaven which is ok. 20 minutes would be a doddle.

uxb

Post by uxb »

I've paddled with the Stonehaven club and they are a fine, welcoming bunch of folk with superb paddling on the doorstep.