A Pembrokeshire Epic

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark R

A Pembrokeshire Epic

Post by Mark R »

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

MartinW

Re: A Pembrokeshire Epic

Post by MartinW »

A fascinating and very sobering read. Thanks for sharing this so candidly. Glad you're still here to tell the tale!
Rockpool Alaw Bach

jet

Post by jet »

As Martin says, thank you for being so candid.
It seemed fairly inevitable to me that…even if we didn’t both end up swimming (which was not outside the realms of possibility)…we were going to need assistance, sooner or later.

I am aware that these are very difficult questions to answer as there is no simple answer but....

At what point would you feel it would have been necessary to call for assistance?
Do you think you would have been able to get assistance, e.g. were you in a position to operate radios, were you in range of anything etc?

If there was one lesson that you would pass on from this what would it be?

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

At the time I was thinking (if we cleared the races intact) we'd be too far downstream to make Whitesands and would have to attempt a landing at North Bishop and wait for the turn of the tide before crossing to Whitesands in the dark; if this had happened I would have notified the CG of our situation.

There was actually another (better) emergency option I later realised - go another c14km to Abereiddy and land there.

Other stuff...

...when I called the CG on our safe arrival, my radio ran out out of juice. Hmm, glad I didn't have to use it in anger.

...we were both carrying lights and cyalume sticks for night paddling, but had not dug them out and put them on before we got into the hairy stuff.

Lesson? Never to underestimate the sea. I know the area well and was sure I was fully conversant with the power of the tides thereabouts (I've been playboating the Bitches since the late 80s!), but was simply blown away by the size, extent and complexity of the races pulling us NW across the Bishops and Clerks...just awe-inspiring.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

PS I'll be back, though. Grassholm is worth it.

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I think it's called "being alive".

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry »

Looking at Eurions map, it seems that you were being sent NW between the gaps in the reef suggesting that although the tide was running NE it was being diverted though those gaps where it was flooding against them.

Would you have found the overhead waves fun if it hadn't been at the end of a big trip in failing light or would it still have been worrying Mark?

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

A depth change from 40m to 5m is going to run pretty damn quick, and kick up really big where it gets deep again...

Great writeup!
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Mike Mayberry wrote:Would you have found the overhead waves fun if it hadn't been at the end of a big trip in failing light or would it still have been worrying Mark?
Knowing what I know now, I think there is potential for some very exposed fun...but pre-planned, in my Delphin not a racing boat, and not at sunset at the end of a 33 mile trip.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK