inflatable kayak for wave surfing

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
golan

inflatable kayak for wave surfing

Post by golan »

Hi Everyone.
DO you have any recommendation about inflatable Kayak for wave surfing, I do not have the room to hold a rigid one, any ideas?

Cheers.
Goli.

Jim

Re: inflatable kayak for wave surfing

Post by Jim »

You need hard chines to surf, you can't get hard chines on an inflatable, I'd say you are onto a basic incompatibility there!

tg

Post by tg »

I know what Jim means. But anything is possible, apparently...!

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/surfing/st ... on-at-jaws

I've been looking into blow up SUPs (is that a 'topic' of it's own now?). There appears to be a manufacturer who makes a blow up SUP with a seat and foot bar arrangement. I don't hav the link to hand.. might suit.
"I sink therfore I am".

Phizz4

Post by Phizz4 »

No, you can't surf an inflatable? Tell my son that when he was surfing our Gumotex Safari at Whitesand Bay last week. (Sorry, can't insert a picture to prove it). Even I managed to catch a couple of waves.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Phizz4 wrote:No, you can't surf an inflatable? Tell my son that when he was surfing our Gumotex Safari at Whitesand Bay last week. (Sorry, can't insert a picture to prove it). Even I managed to catch a couple of waves.
Sliding down a wave with no control is not surfing.... and will get you a bad rep with surfers.

iSUPs seem to have a moulded rail and fins - I've never seen an inflatable kayak with anything like either. Which is not to say it couldn't be built, but when an HP surf kayak is probably under 2.4m long I really struggle to see the storage issue - I used to used to store 4 boats a bit longer than that (and much heavier) up on end behind various doors in my 3rd floor flat.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

iSUPs seem to have a moulded rail and fins - I've never seen an inflatable kayak with anything like either.
Mine does.....

http://www.sevylor-europe.com/UK/p-225-pointer-k2.aspx
So much sea - so little time to see it.

john.ruston

Post by john.ruston »

http://magicseaweed.com/news/what-happe ... pies/7947/

The tube sequence starts around 4:15

There's waves (Mexican and Big) and an inflatable in here somewhere. For a tow start and folk tired of life !!

username Chris S

Post by username Chris S »

Another Gumo Safari from years ago

Sliding around out of control sure looks a lot of fun (once you turn the sound down)

Hard chines - try the Sea Eagle Razorlite IK

Phizz4

Post by Phizz4 »

Sliding down a wave with no control is not surfing.... and will get you a bad rep with surfers.
As a top notch International surfer my son would be very upset by that comment! He knows what he is doing.

GumGum

Post by GumGum »

Old thread resurretion alert, but I can confirm that the Gumotex Safari surfs (ocean waves) beautifully! Pump it up nice and hard (it'll take it), put the aluminium skeg on (that's a must - I find a slightly cut-down version works best in the surf), use the thigh straps and go for it. There's a bit of an art to using your paddle as a sort of extra skeg at times too to help keep you in the wave.

Sure, you have to adapt to the obvious limitations of an inflatable, and you're probably wasting your time surfing anything bigger than about waist to chest high unless it's very slow and fat or you fancy a good beating (take a board in if it's any bigger!), but they really do go great in small waves. And yes, you're in control (most of the time). I've surfed plenty of times in a bit of a crowd of surfers, I show respect and don't hog waves etc, and it's fab fun. Highly recommended. No other inflatable that I know of will surf waves anything like the Safari. I've even had complimentary comments from people in surf kayaks along the lines of 'blimey it's an inflatable, goes pretty well considering...'