First Kayak -any suggestion

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
K8yaka

First Kayak -any suggestion

Post by K8yaka »

Hi, I'm thinking about buying my first kayak later this but I'm not sure what kayak I want. I only started kayaking last November. I'm a 2* kayaker but I'm going to get my 3* in August. So far I've mainly used a Perception Expression 15, however I have had a short paddle in a Fibergalss kayak (an Explorer I believe). I love the speed of the fiberglass kayak but they can be difficult during landing so I think I will stick with plastic. My price range is not big so a fansy £1000+ kayak is out I the question (sadly). I'll probably have to get a second hand one. Additionally does anyone know of a site whih sells reasonably priced equipment, wetsuits and the like.

sloegin

Re: First Kayak -any suggestion

Post by sloegin »

If you are looking to stay plastic I would recommend you have a paddle of the NorthShore Atlantic RM and possibly the Tiderace Vortex. You should be able to pick either of those up for sub £1000 - even new.

NorthShore make excellent quality boats which really cover the whole spectrum - its the sort of boat you could buy as a beginner and stick with your whole paddling career.

The Tiderace is quite an aggressive yet fun boat that turns really nicely and loves to have a bit of fun - though it might not be ideal for absolute novices. Having said all that its an excellent boat if you can get away with the paddling position - which I can't.

Hope that helps
North shore Ocean 17.6

Jim

Post by Jim »

Buy secondhand, try to wait a while and see what sort of prices boats are selling for, and if you can't arrange to try before you buy, make sure you are paying a price you can recoup if you decide to sell it on a few months later.

Most of the rest of your kit can be obtained new at budget prices from Lomo Watersports - it is made in the far east to their own specifications so sometimes things can be out of stock for long periods, but they are rarely beaten on price, and in the unlikely event that you do get an item that slipped through QC, they usually replace it without fuss.

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

Hi K8yaka

I saw you expressed interest in a Nordy HM over on sales, lovely classic boat but not really what would be suited to your description. Think: a 1970's "classic" car v. a modern run-about.

Good PE boats would be the Etain, Avocet and even the Nordy RM (different beast entirely) by Valley, or the Delphin or Scorpio from P&H, plus there are a good few others, e,g. Northshore etc.

I rented a Delphin and an Etain on holiday in Spain last month and was well pleased for what they are (I paddle a composite Rockpool normally). That said, I hate the "dishing" on the hull underside, even on newish multi-layer hulls compared to composites.

New RM sea kayaks come in at between £1000-£1500 so you should find a decent second hand at under a grand.

Try Lomo (ewetsuits) for cheap kit, but not paddles IMO, it is worth splashing out (no pun intended) on those, try Celtic Paddles or look for a 2nd hand top-end Werner.

Steve
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

I would get an Expression which you already know well - it's a very capable kayak and quite fast compared to other plastic boats.
Mal

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I know of a plastic Current Designs Sirocco in the Hexham area which is for sale. £750 and in very good condition indeed. That may be an option. Certainly an HM Nordkapp would be a less than ideal boat for your purposes.

If you want the contact details, pm me. Mike.

hants

Post by hants »

Perception Essence 17?

Beautiful, extremely stable, ample room in the hatches.

Maybe a bit soft, when fully loaded for an expedition, but you will notice that only on a big wave's crest.

Find a kayak club or a shop near you and ask members/sellers for a short trials.

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

In fact there is a Northshore RM over in sales for £850!
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

SeaSpirit

Post by SeaSpirit »

Hi, you might want to check out my ad for a Plastic Valley Aquanaut in the For Sale section; it was my first 'proper' sea kayak; good build quality and handles well; I'm only selling it as I have replaced it with the composite version and is no longer used. £675. Based near Southampton.
David

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

K8yaka - Where are you based, and how big and heavy are you?
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

CM2

Post by CM2 »

While all the above suggestions are good kayaks it is impossible to give suggestions without more details. You need a kayak that is suitable for you and what sort of kayaking you plan to do.

As K8yaka asked what height and weight are you?, what size feet do you have. A boat that is too small will be impossible to get in or very uncomfortable, a boat that is too large will be more difficult to control (an analogy I heard is you wear a kayak not sit in one). Kayaks also perform best at an optimum load (though this is also affected by what you carry.

Are you expecting to do mostly short evening paddles, day trips, weekends or extending paddles. While you might not be too sure yet does the idea of spending a week away from it all wilderness camping appeal to you? If so you will need a kayak with plenty of space.

There are other things to consider, whether you want a more manoeuvrable boat or one that goes better in a straight line. Do you want a faster boat or a more stable one (as a beginner I wouldn't recommend the very fast (less stable) kayaks but a middle range one may be a little scary at first but allow you to enjoy it longer as your skills advance).

I would recommend trying as many boats as you can before making a decision.

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig »

Have a think about size. Sea kayaks are a bit like ski books: if your feet are size 9 the important thing is a pair of boots size 9, not the type of boot. Have a look at what the manufacturers say about recommended weight - and get something that fits you.

norb

Post by norb »

My first kayak was sit on top about few weeks.Big No NO :)
My proper first sea kayak was Perception Essence !7 and boat was to big for me.Just another mistake.
3th boat was Xcite S Tide Race an I was really happy
But I move to Scotland and start cover a distances and Xcite was good enough.
Now Im happy owner Pace !7 and wish this boat is slightly faster :)
Its great boat , don't get me wrong great stability but isn't fast enough for what Im planning in future.
Its all about where you paddling where you based.In some places having glass boat is big mistake :) (Northumberland for example )
and plastic boat isn't good for tide race by Penhryn Mawr.
Most importantly is what kind of sea kayaking you fancy.
For example rock hopping or covering distance along the coast