Capella 173 and Quest - help with choice please

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
simmsy

Capella 173 and Quest - help with choice please

Post by simmsy »

Hi Folks,

Is the quest just a bigger version of the capella, and as the 173 is the HV capella is there actually little difference between that one and the quest?

Which is best suited to sailing, day tripping and a few nights away?

Many thanks in advance to any thoughts

Ian

Kate D

Re: Capella 173 and Quest - help with choice please

Post by Kate D »

The answer to all 'which boat' questions is always going to be to try before you buy. Your kayak should fit you like your favourite jeans so try and have a go in the two boats to decide which suits your shape best.
The Quest is not the same as a big Capella. Both are big boats, suited to the bigger, taller paddler but will handle differently. You might want to look at the Cetus HV too.
Either of the boats you mention will be suitable for day trips, sailing and multi day trips as long as they fit you.

simmsy

Post by simmsy »

Thanks Kate, I do appreciate your comments but trying both to compare is not a realistic option.

In terms of favourite jeans, I haven't even got to what type of troos yet!

Without a test paddle the Capella seems the safer option although the Quest could be a boat I could grow into ( skills wise)

I was just after an indication of their differences really.

Cheers

Ian

Jim

Post by Jim »

If you want a boat to drag up stony beaches and over rocks without worrying about damage, buy a capella, if you want something a little more refined and are going to be careful about landing on non-sandy beaches and will carry or trolley it everywhere, consider a quest. But don't get hung up on whether PE or composite is better or faster - the old capella is suprisingly fast for a boat that composite snobs would sneer at....

I've never compared the 2 back to back, I would think the capella is a touch wider at least below the waterline, the quest as I recall has a transition from rounded hull to almost chined hull (a bit like the romany/explorer range, but differently) and the capella more of a shallow arch hull. People can discuss at lengths the pros and cons of different hull forms, but I think both capella and quest will be reasonably comfortable hulls for beginner-intermediate paddlers, if you become an advanced paddler you may outgrow the handling of the capella, but that will probably several kayaks down the line.

As you will be buying secondhand you won't see much if any depreciation, so if you can't try both out, just buy one, paddle it a while and if you don't get on with it, sell it on and get the other....

nickcrowhurst

PE/composite??

Post by nickcrowhurst »

Jim wrote:But don't get hung up on whether PE or composite is better or faster - the old capella is suprisingly fast for a boat that composite snobs would sneer at.
Isn't the Capella 173 composite, rather than PE? :
https://sweetwaterkayaks.wordpress.com/ ... pella-173/
Nick.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Beats me Nick, it's not current and P&H don't seem to have any info about discontinued models on their website. If the 173 is the big one and composite, it must be king huge - the PE one is massive!

That link describes it as V hull with soft chine, I'm sure that doesn't describe the PE one from my memory, sounds more like the Quest! Is it some dodgy US naming difference? It is completely possible of course that I am muddled up and not picturing the Capella hull shape at all but something else!

simmsy

Post by simmsy »

Hi guys thanks of the comments,

yes both composite, I'm still not sure I'm ready for a delicate composite though! Will I feel that much difference?

http://www.northeastkayaks.co.uk/item/1 ... 63-167-173

Yes even with plastic kayaks I try to take care but end up bashing rocks and getting a few scratches here and there - no dragging though!

Jim you're right - will take your advice - stop faffing and just get one of them and enjoy it - going to have a go for the quest when I get the chance and go from there.

Cheers

Jim

Post by Jim »

I'm totally confused now, definitely not on the P&H website!

Assuming you are a bigger guy based on the boats you are looking at, the larger Northshore designs might also be worth checking out, they have similar V hull wih soft chines.

Composite is not necessarily delicate, it doesn't like being smashed into rocks and you will wear the gel coat down quicker than PE by dragging it, but if you go for a durable expedition type construction rather than ultra light racing construction it will handle plenty of little knocks which new owners expect it not to :)

My boat is lightweight carbon/kevlar so I have to be a bit careful with it, it's nearly 4 years old and has a few chunks of gelcoat missing from accidental encounters with reefs and the like but it is still completely intact and watertight.

As to whether you will feel the difference between composite or PE, that depends on how in tune you are with your boats and what designs you are comparing. One of the main things is that PE boats flex more which is wasted energy, but unless you are paddling to the very limit of your energy all the time how would you really know? There are some great PE designs out there, and some complete dogs, but the same is true of composite designs....

bearshead

Post by bearshead »

I have also looked at both these boats and I think the Quest is more of a distance boat and the Capella more of an all rounder? Also the Capella has a bigger cockpit than the Quest!

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff »

Sea kayak Oban does have a new Capella 173 in stock and it does accommodate a larger paddler than the Quest HV. yes it's available to demo and it is a really good deal at about £1700. Not everything is on the online shop. Give them a call on 01631 565 310 to discuss .
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

The Capella is a good boat - for me, the Quest was a better boat. Bigger too.

nickcrowhurst

Capella 173 on Ebay today

Post by nickcrowhurst »

beachbum

Post by beachbum »

Looking for a new day and weekend boat, I was trapped in the triangle between Cetus, Quest and Etain about two years ago. My final choice was/is the Lettmann Biskaya (HV for me), and I never looked back.