Recomend me a tarp - -

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
MikeB

Recomend me a tarp - -

Post by MikeB »

Been considering a tarp for a while - thoughts please on what to get, size, etc.

Is 3x3m big enough for two people? This is just as a general shelter / cooking / getting out of the wind space, none of this using it as a tent substitute nonsense. And certainly not to create a cover for a hammock! I envisage it being used with some form of telescopic poles rather than slung from paddles.

Price is a consideration - bulk perhaps less so. Quality is important.

Dougie Shannon

Re: Recomend me a tarp - -

Post by Dougie Shannon »

I just bought one from Decathlon. Only cost £21 and came with poles. Used it in Morocco for sleeping under. 3 x3 was ample for 2 folks. I didn't take the poles I used paddles, but they are useful to have.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Used basha - I have a couple in desert camo. Fully siliconised and with strong webbing handles so you can use it as a stretcher if you need to. Not quite 3m x 3m but I've found them to be a useful enough size. When car camping I take a couple of cheap steel telescopic poles, probably gelert or similar brand from almost any camping shop. You will need your own guys and pegs too, although it may come with a ridge line (one of mine did, one didn't).

Jim

Post by Jim »

Or if you prefer a fancy looking tarp, I would reccommend UK Hammocks on account of the fact that I go boating with Mat. You don't have to hang the tarp over a hammock, we used one to shelter our washing line in Corsica (although there was also a siesta tarp hanging under it which I lost myself in for a couple of hours), had almost dry gear every day despite it being cooler than we had hoped :)

foxtrot

Post by foxtrot »

Robens Tarp 3m x 3m from Taunton Leisure £35.99. I cannot fault it and make a wedge shaped shelter with an old walking pole. Big enough for 2.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Ordered - thanks to all - -

flat earth sails

Post by flat earth sails »

I replased my tarp a while back, i got one with contilery cut or curved in edges, it piches grate and rerly flogs in the wind.

gnarlydog

Post by gnarlydog »

if there are no bugs and the wind is low I find a tarp to be my favorite shelter to sleep under. But bugs and wind are often present :-(
I use a siliconized nylon tarp (silnylon) to shelter from the rain.
Since the store bought ones were way too expensive (the real silnylon ones that pack down half the size of PU coated ones) I decide to make my own.
I sourced the fabric from USA (I cold not find it in Australia) and sewed together two lengths of fabric (1.6m wide) of 3 meters ending up with a 3.2X3.0m

Here are some details: http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com.au/20 ... -tarp.html

Mikebelluk

Post by Mikebelluk »

Decathlon one is good value. I've had one for 7 yrs and it's used a lot especially in the summer, and it's still going strong.

uxb

Post by uxb »

Mikebelluk wrote:Decathlon one is good value. I've had one for 7 yrs and it's used a lot especially in the summer, and it's still going strong.
Me too. The poles are a bit heavy but apart from that it's been good- especially for the money.

Also, if anyone is in Decathlon I HIGHLY recommend some Ovomaltine biscuits- buy two packs 'cos they won't last long....

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

I gave up on tarps years ago - I use one of these for two people http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... dium-p1570 or the smaller version if I'm on my own.
Mal

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

The Robens tarp - and associated telescopic poles - arrived and although I've not had the chance to use it "properly" as yet, I have played with various configurations in the garden.

First impressions are good - it's reasonably compact when packed - seems decent quality material and construction, although more pegs and guys (6 of each!) would have been nice. That was easily fixed. It doesn't have a ridge re-inforcement or any attachment points along the ridge line - I knew that when I ordered - but subsequently think having some would be useful.

The 3 x 3 size is fine, certainly for 2 people, using it as a "wind shed" shelter - or for maybe 6 to shelter under when configured as a ridge or wing overhead set-up.

The poles are massive! Which makes them versatile in that I can configure a variety of heights, and also use them for our "bungalow" tent's door / awning - but make packing in the boat a little challenging although they will go in. I didn't want to use paddles as supports. I note with interest that there are other poles available, but some seem dubious quality, and others, like the Hilleberg ones, excellent and more compact, but eyewateringly expensive! (Over £100 for a pair of H/berg tarp poles!). So, as with everything, the Robens poles are a compromise.

Mike

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

The tarp's first outing, a trip from Arduaine to Luing, the Garvellachs and Belnahua. Here, it makes an excellent wind shelter on a rather breezy evening on Luing.

On the Garvellachs we were spared what turned out to be a slightly damp end to the evening.

And on Belnahua, on a truly dreich and wet evening, being able to cook, eat and chill without being stuck in the tent was awesome. It was also very useful to have somewhere other than the tent to leave all the extraneous kit, cooking stuff etc etc. You'd need to be fairly confident the wind wasn't going to shift overnight though.

The poles proved to be a bit of a pain, although they do slide into the boats and we had one each in the back of each boat, beside the skeg box. Better poles are on the shopping list though. These Robens tarp poles are especially irritating in that although the top section will lock in the "down" position, the middle section is reluctant to engage at anything other than the fully extended point. This makes setting the tarp lower a bit difficult, but also means the wretched things will extend while being removed from the hatch, or being carried.

Despite these niggles, we now reckon it's one of the most useful bits of kit we've got, especially for a multi-day outing.

kayakski

Post by kayakski »

MIke, I got a set of telescopic poles for the same idea in Perth. The old shop of army and outdoor supplies Fergusons use to sell them.