Hernia and sea kayaking

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
nigelhatton

Hernia and sea kayaking

Post by nigelhatton » Thu May 07, 2015 11:09 am

I have been putting off writing about this subject, probably through being in denial that I could be affected by a hernia.
I have what's called a mild inguinal hernia, I have had it for two months and it's not getting better and I doubt it ever will. With all the stresses and strains of work and everyday life getting out in my kayak is weighing heavily on my mind, I haven't paddled for some time let alone on rough seas.

So my question is, does anyone have experiences of paddling with an inguinal hernia and also when it was rough water?

Krautsgalore

Re: Hernia and sea kayaking

Post by Krautsgalore » Thu May 07, 2015 12:04 pm

A while ago I suffered from a groin strain, initially it was suspected to be an inguinal hernia, but that was ruled out by the surgeon.
Tenor principle for the hernia, I was told by him, is to avoid further strain on it and have surgery at the earliest possible date,
as the longterm outcome and load-bearing capacity of a repaired smaller hole is better than the repair of a larger hole. Also on a larger hernia the risk of strangulating your intestinals is much higher, which could result in a lifethreatening condition.

journeyman

Post by journeyman » Thu May 07, 2015 12:48 pm

Nigel - I feel your pain. Been there.
Had to keep pushing it in while paddling - not a good thing - strangulation is a real possibility that you want to avoid.
It doesn't get better, only worse. I had surgery and have been absolutely fine since. Paddled up to the op and then waited 6 weeks I think before paddling again. No issues.
Eurion

The Shiner

Post by The Shiner » Thu May 07, 2015 7:10 pm

I had three hernias repaired 18 months ago, and apart from a little ache on one side if I over do it, my paddling hasn't been affected.
Before the surgery I used to just get a very annoying ache in my right groin, I put it off for a while but then had to concede and go to see the doctor.
I thought I only had one (did it lifting something heavy that I was taking to the tip), but on examination there was a trio!
I had a bi lateral inguinal (groin, both sides) and an umbilical (belly button).
Like Eurion I paddled right up to my op and was paddling again about two months later.
Mine were done laparoscopically, and all at the same time, I walked into the hospital at 0930, I walked into the theatre to be knocked out at around 1200, and got wheeled out to the car around 1800 (?).
If I'm honest I was really worried about it before I had it done, but looking back it wasn't too bad, the worst bit was sitting around at home for two weeks!
Good luck!
Rich

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Thu May 07, 2015 9:35 pm

A surgeon I saw in the local hospital says to leave it and if it's no better in three months to return for a MRI scan, he thinks it could be a strained tendon, I think otherwise.
I really want to do the full canal du midi this year, from the Atlantic back here to Séte. However, I'm just a bit worried that it'll never happen.
Did anyone have a kind of burning sensation in the groin after walking?, those with a pre op inguinal hernia that is.

ian the badger

Post by ian the badger » Tue May 12, 2015 8:18 am

I too feel your pain, get it fixed.

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Tue May 12, 2015 7:23 pm

this afternoon I returned to the hospital here in Perpignan where I saw another doctor about this lower groin pain. I'm set for a MRI scan in a few days. But she said it's 90% probable I have an hernie inguinal.
Dont good canoeing, dont lift weights, don't ride your motorcycle or bicyle. I need my fix of sea kayaking and I can't see what harm could become of it seeing as I'm sat down.

soundoftheseagull
Location: Lives in a Pineapple but NOT under the sea, Prestatyn, North Wales

Post by soundoftheseagull » Tue May 12, 2015 9:58 pm

I had a double one, I continued to paddle right to the end. I avoided carriage and also continued with gym and spinning. It would ache and swell slightly. I,m convinced that for myself that with training it aided in my recovery which was fairly quick. You have to be guided by your body.
If it hurts then stop, aching well I put up with that, I also bought some compression sports type shorts which also helped. Good luck and hope you get the op soon.
Dave

Rockpool GT

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Fri May 29, 2015 4:15 pm

I had the operation Thursday morning but was admitted Wednesday afternoon. The surgeon came to my room today and told me I had two hernias on the same side. I have three scars where he put a camera and some other tools through. He suggested there was probably a week ness there all the time and has said the other side may go the same way unless I change to a less strenuous lifestyle and also to loose weight. I stayed in over three days and had to have medication due to problems with my blood clotting, I also wear tight white elastic stockings for the next week.

I have made a bespoke xp18 kayak carrier and all I need now is a car then I'll be out on the sea and the canal du midi, down the road. The flat earth sail, new design, will be fitted when its in stock and I'll be off. Weightlifting competitions will have to stop but I think sprint paddling will stop too.

If anyone feels pain or a heaviness in their groin then see your doctor sooner rather than later. Thanks for the info from all of the above.