Tiderace XPLORE M V P&H Cetus MV

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Sea rider

Tiderace XPLORE M V P&H Cetus MV

Post by Sea rider »

I am looking into getting an expedition boat and have narrowed my choices down to two a Tiderace XPLORE M and a P&H Cetus MV. I am planning on trying both kayaks out but was just wondering what people's thoughts are who have paddled both kayaks. I am interested in comfort and speed of both mainly and amount of gear they can carry compared to each other.
Many thanks in advance

Rogga

Re: Tiderace XPLORE M V P&H Cetus MV

Post by Rogga »

I can't comment on the Cetus but the technical specs for the Xplore regarding construction, speed, storage etc can be found on the Tiderace website http://www.tideraceseakayaks.co.uk/kayak-models/xplore/. But you probably already know that! Having paddled the Xplore I can certainly vouch for it.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I was holding back from commenting in the hope you'd have got a broader response. I've paddled both - well, the L/HV versions - and both are nice craft. Personally, I preferred the Xplore. Which brings me to the oft-repeated mantra that you really do need to try them - and indeed try others too. If your decision making is based upon reading the specs etc then you may well be surprised to find that you end up preferring something else.

I doubt there is much if anything between them in terms of load carrying, both have similar hatch sizes. In terms of overall performance, while I wasn't able to try either long-term, I was quite happy in either boat in some reasonable conditions. However, the Cetus is too small for me so that will impact on my thinking. I was impressed with how well it would take an edge, and the ease it could be turned. That said, a pal of mine who is an extremely competent paddler had one for a while and sold it a year of so back. His preferred sea boat is an Alew Bach these days.

As has been said each and every time someone asks this sort of question, it's a very personal thing, this choice of sea kayak. I'd suggest considering the comfort factor as being high on the list. If you're comfortable, you'll paddle it more and enjoy paddling it more. I much prefer the seat / backrest and knee-brace setup in T/race boats. Conversely, my partner much preferred the outfitting in a Valley Etain when she was going thro a similar process to yours.

Also look at things like skeg controls - the T/race boats are excellent in that respect. The Cetus somewhat less so. Mike.

Kate D

Post by Kate D »

You need to go for comfort every time. You are likely to be spending many hours in whichever boat you end up with. No matter what others say, your body is a different size, shape, build etc and only you will know which is for you.

In terms of practical carrying capacity and speed I suspect they are pretty similar.

P&H boats are custom built and so you can have it just the way you want it, with the front bulkhead in the right place to be a footrest. This gives you a much better seating position than with pedal footrests.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Kate D wrote:
P&H boats are custom built and so you can have it just the way you want it, with the front bulkhead in the right place to be a footrest. This gives you a much better seating position than with pedal footrests.
Good point - something T/race don't offer. P&H / Valley / NDK would all offer such customisation and it could save a load of wasted space in the cockpit, and gain a bit in the forehatch. Mind you. I find the pedal rests in my Xcape to be just fine, but there is much to be said for a "full plate" footrest and I had one in my Nordkapp back in the day.

Kate D

Post by Kate D »

Don't forget that a custom bulkhead not only increases the dry hatch space you have for gear carrying, it also reduces the amount of water in your cockpit if you should need rescuing. This is in addition to the benefit of increased comfort from the full width footrest. You can customise the bulkhead with solid foam to finely tune the legroom needed.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox »

Totally agree with what Kate said above. I have just taken delivery of a new Cetus MV with custom bulkhead and a significant factor in my choice of P&H was the custom bulkhead. My previous camping boat was a Nordkapp LV, which is almost the same volume as the Cetus MV but because it has a standard bulkhead, it has a greatly reduced usable volume. You do need to watch though, with my weight the Cetus MV likes to be loaded about 60%/40% rear/front. With all that usable volume in the front, it is easy to make the boat nose heavy. I put bulky light items in the front and heavy items like Guinness in the rear.
Douglas