Battery Boxes

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Easle100

Battery Boxes

Post by Easle100 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:05 pm

I recently got a sea kayak for paddling the great glen. After watching some youtube vids I decided that I would make a battery box for charging my cameras, phone, etc, while on the trip. I want to take loads of video and until I seen the battery box idea I was racking my brain as to how to keep my cameras charged.

I think it will be very useful for my Great Glen trip. I have seen that some people use them for other uses like fish finders, bilge pumps, lighting etc.

I certainly went all out with a waterproof otterbox style box. 12V 24Ah battery. I also found a fantastic USB, Voltmeter and cigarette lighter socket combination panel which will have loads of uses and looks fantastic. I made a vid of how I made it, costs , design etc, and would like to share it with the people on here.

Maarten Z

Re: Battery Boxes

Post by Maarten Z » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:39 am

Looks good! Nice build.
Where did you find the voltmeter/carplug/usb connector combo?

Thanks,
Maarten

gnarlydog

Post by gnarlydog » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:24 am

how long is this Great Glen trip?
and how many days are you going to be away from mains supply?
what are your daily power consumption?

For my trip of 6 weeks I did not have the room for such a large battery box like yours so I used a solar panel hooked up to much smaller 12V battery but I was counting on having a fair bit of sun.
I recharged my two DSLR cameras (still and video) and two GoPro by using a 2.2Ah SLA.

Easle100

Post by Easle100 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:50 pm

Hi guys, I am not on much as you can probably tell. I didn't see those questions until now.

I was planning on being away for 5 - 6 days but we did it in 4. The battery box was for charging cameras and phones.

I only took up sea kayaking as a means to get fit for the great glen trip. I love it and have since bought another composite tiderace xplore m ck sea kayak.

Here is the footage from the trip:

I found the voltmeters on ebay. Around £14 ish for the 3.

We are doing another paddle this coming May (2016) which is about 80 - 90 miles. It is from Helensburgh near Glasgow in Scotland to Oban on the West coast. My trusted proven battery box will be coming along.