Kayak-based Dissertation 2015: Participants wanted

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
kamala

Re: Kayak-based Dissertation 2015: Participants wanted

Post by kamala »

Hi Lisa,

I'm in the process of filling in your survey, but it's been two hours so far and I'm still only on question 10. Am I being stupid, or just over-opinionated, spending so long on a survey you calculate can be done in ten minutes? Do you really just want the one-minute-per-question response? Anyway, I shall plod on and if it's all useless waffle you'll just have to ignore it. However, once I've put in the effort, I for one would definitely appreciate some feedback concerning your results.

This thread seems to suggest two things to me:
1) there's a definite gender imbalance in the sport of forum-posting, and
2) you might want some more reliable statistics on participation numbers and proportions. In which case, have you tried the Active People surveys? https://www.sportengland.org/research/who-plays-sport/ has a shed-load of useful numbers, especially once they put the individual query tool back up.

Good luck.

------------
To the rest of the thread:
is this foodie trip going to be male-only, or good cooks only? I'm afraid I don't qualify on either count but if you want help eating the results (or will take a risk on wildly unpredictable cooking skills), I'm definitely your paddler!

(P.S. I also have opinions on women-only events, but I'm all typed out for now.)

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

Kamala - a kayak and an appetite is all that will be required :-)
So much sea - so little time to see it.

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston »

kamala wrote: To the rest of the thread:
is this foodie trip going to be male-only, or good cooks only? I'm afraid I don't qualify on either count but if you want help eating the results (or will take a risk on wildly unpredictable cooking skills), I'm definitely your paddler!

(P.S. I also have opinions on women-only events, but I'm all typed out for now.)

Hi Kamala,

We enjoy paddling with friends, in mixed groups or not - gender isn't a bar or a requirement on our trips! :o)

Frequent luncheon stops and al fresco dinners do tend to feature a bit though........

http://mountainandseascotland.blogspot. ... -trip.html

http://seakayakphoto.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... point.html

http://mountainandseascotland.blogspot. ... t-out.html

http://seakayakphoto.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... ze-at.html

You'd be most welcome to join us!

:o)

Ian

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Having decided to allow my ever-so-private email to be used in the survey, I guess it took me maybe 10/15 mins overall - maybe that was because I don't see any notable gender bias actually. Which is not to say it doesn't exist, and certainly we have the evidence which says female only symposiums and such seem to meet a need.

Given some of the finest paddlers and professional coaches I know are women, I really hope they will input - even if they don't necessarily comment here. That said, the balance is almost identical between genders these days - but I note this was not the case 10 years ago, and certainly not 20/30 years ago.

Now - as to cooking and such - equality and opportunity in everything. Shall we discuss the distinction between cooks and chefs? Mike

kamala

Post by kamala »

Hi Ian,
what a lovely invitation, thank you!
The appetite and the boat live in North Wales but you've given me an excellent reason to come and explore the paddling in Scotland, some time. Those blogs are absolutely scrumptious.

As for the survey, I won't inflict my long-winded answers on the general public though in the unlikely event anyone's interested they're welcome to PM me. I hope they're a fair representation of the state of paddling as perceived by one female, and that they prove useful to the OP.
Totally agree with MikeB in hoping that some of the many excellent female paddlers will fill it in - but I also hope some of the less excellent female paddlers will fill it in too, because I suspect that people like me who are struggling with competence may be more easily discouraged by factors that the confident expert may not even notice.

Now, bring on the banquets!

Kate D

Post by Kate D »

It's odd how a thread that has become a discussion about women only paddlesport events has been commented on only by men. I'm going to put my head above the parapet and provide the first female point of view.

Lisa, I've completed your survey. I though it was refreshing that you have asked for written answers rather than a set of tick boxes that never seem to apply completely. I'm sure you have designed your survey to give you answers that are meaningful to your study. It would be interesting if you could make some comment on your observations when your work is completed.

I have coached sea kayaking at a number of women only symposia and at all of these events places were fully booked. This makes it clear that these events are wanted and valued. If women want these events, then it is only right that they should be set up, and I thank the people that have taken the time and trouble to organise them. The atmosphere at these events is markedly different from that at many of the mixed events. Perhaps the men should question why this is? I accept that the vast majority of men who attend events and coaches who coach at them do so in such a way as to create an atmosphere of inclusivity. Unfortunately there are a few who don't.

In reply to nigelhatton, could I suggest that given your sporting history, the vast majority of paddlers in any group you paddle with will be less powerful that you.
I am not powerful. I have never done weight training. In fact, other than paddling I don't really do any exercise at all. However, I can paddle further and faster that a great majority of the men I paddle with. This is down to technique and not power. Perhaps the women that you have had to wait for, or shorten trips for just needed a little technique coaching.

I believe that it is because many women lack the power of their male paddling companions, that they have been forced to develop a more efficient paddling technique in order to keep up. Look at a mixed group of club paddlers and it is often the women who have the best technique. There are always exceptions to this.

kamala

Post by kamala »

Kate D wrote:It's odd how a thread that has become a discussion about women only paddlesport events has been commented on only by men. I'm going to put my head above the parapet and provide the first female point of view.
Hi Kate,
I don't mind being told my comments are wrong, ill-informed or irrelevant - I'll stand up for them or adjust them as necessary. But I *really* hate being called a man...
Kamala

(with plenty more opinions to express)

Kate D

Post by Kate D »

Kamala,
Please accept my apologies. I had not read your post carefully enough. Your pseudonym is not gender specific and in a thread dominated by masculine comment I'm afraid I had jumped to a conclusion. Apologies again if kamala is not a pseudonym!

Please go on and express more of your opinions. The men have had their say.

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T »

Hi,
Before I comment I will apologise for being male, but as an observation of ladies who have expressed an interest in ladies only paddling events, these seem to appeal to ladies who can be intimidated by 'macho paddlers' (who are often but not always male), whereas lady 'macho paddlers' do not seem to be attracted to these events. I have been involved in helping lead paddles that are posted as 'softy' (not my choice of word) paddles, which appeal to those of either sex who can be intimidated by 'macho paddlers'. I have also been asked by groups of ladies to lead trips where I have been the only male because the ladies have felt intimidated by some of the other groups that have been available.
Ken

Twix

Post by Twix »

I have booked to go on a women's event. I normally paddle (or do anything else) in a mixed group and don't find that an issue. But the chance to meet a whole lot of women with the same interest sounded a lot of fun. My husband doesn't paddle but he is bringing his bike.