Kayak-based Dissertation 2015: Participants wanted

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Howard.Lisa

Kayak-based Dissertation 2015: Participants wanted

Post by Howard.Lisa »

Hi everyone,

My name is Lisa Howard, I am an undergraduate Psychology student at Aberystwyth University, and have decided to study something I am passionate about in my dissertation: kayaking.

If you participate, or have previously participated, in any discipline of canoeing or kayaking you are eligible to take part in this study

If you feel that you may wish to participate in this study, please read the following information.

Participant information.
The following study, entitled “An exploration into gender participation in recreational kayaking and the effect on the participating community” is aiming to explore any differences in gender participation in kayaking and the effects of this on sports partaker’s involvement.

What is required from you?
Participants will be required to fill in a questionnaire which should take approximately 10-30 minutes to complete and asks a range of questions concerning different areas of the sport. The questionnaire will not require your name, however it will require your gender, age, location and previous experience in the sport, and will then address the matter at hand.

The study is entirely voluntary, and by completing the following questionnaire you are stating that you have given informed consent. Your inclusion in this study involves all personal information being be kept confidential, all data will be kept secure and you have a right to withdraw from the study at any point.

What will happen to the data?
The data may be published and continue to conferences, however as the data is confidential, there will be no way you tracing you back to this study.

I’d like to thank all who participate in this study, and I am extremely grateful for anyone who takes time to participate. Closing date for data entries is Friday 27th February 2015 any data collected after this date may not be included in the analysis. There is a small chance that this date should be pushed back to allow more data entries.

My dissertation relies on participants sharing the link to anyone who they may know who kayaks so please do so, this is to ensure that the participants in the study are from all over the UK and are representative of the kayaking community as a whole.
Participants who take part must read the above participant information first, so send all other participants through the UK river guidebook page, an easy link will be provided below

I have read the above participant information, and I am ready to complete the survey
click here: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1991558/A ... l-accounts

If you require any further help or questions answered, please contact the student in charge of this research:
Lisa Howard
Psychology department
Aberystwyth University
Email: lih21@aber.ac.uk
Phone: 07794157437

Project Supervisor: Rachel Rahman
Details available on request

Howard.Lisa

Re: Kayak-based Dissertation 2015: Participants wanted

Post by Howard.Lisa »

TO RECRUIT MORE PARTICIPANTS, SHARE THIS LINK:
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 3&t=117948

Owen

Post by Owen »

I would do your survey but I'm not giving my email address so I can't.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

Likewise - and I'm not sure what the question "How do you see gender participation in kayaking developing in the future and why?" means. I think I'd have started with Q18 and if the answer was "not a lot" then go to the end as all other answers would be irrelevant.

It looks like there's an axe being ground here - I wonder if the survey has been tested / reviewed?

Q 11 and 12 are identical

Sorry Lisa. I'm sure a better designed survey could get you the answers you need but I feel that parsing free text responses into meaningful data is going to be a bit of a headache to you and would be of dubious value as you would be weighting the answers according to your own pre-determined criteria.
So much sea - so little time to see it.

GrahamC

Post by GrahamC »

I started doing the survey but found my answers to just about all the questions were basically the same, that women and men that I paddle with are treated exactly the same, with experience being the most overriding factor in sea paddling group "hierarchy", and the recognition that some people are more skilled in some aspects than others. In marathon racing - well there are lots of women faster than me so I think they compete on very even terms. As a short, light, man I like the fact that more women in the sport mean that great low volume boats are being built.

Anyway, after writing many answers similar to the above, my lunch hour ended and I closed it down uncompleted.

As a scientist, with a PhD and 25 years research experience, I'd like to suggest that you refine the experiment a bit, it needs to be more directed and not so freeform (as others have indicated) - of course you could be researching for exactly this type of reaction! This would make it shorter and more likely to be completed. I would suggest that the current form will tend to self select a group with an axe to grind as they can use the freeform boxes to rant. This approach may be hard to defend as being unbiassed.

Sorry to be a bit negative, I think its great that you can combine kayaking with academic work, I presume that you paddle :-) , but I think you will get better, more valid, responses with a bit of revision.

Graham

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

pathbrae wrote:Likewise - and I'm not sure what the question "How do you see gender participation in kayaking developing in the future and why?" means. .
Maybe this means "gender SPECIFIC participation"?

I think there will indeed be a continuation of FEMALE specific participation. As evidenced by the increasing plethora of female-only trips / gatherings / festivals and such. Whether that is appropriate is another matter entirely. Whether it is actually legal may be yet another matter.

I too tried to do the survey - like Owen, I balked a little at the requirement to provide my email addy - I then just got bored with the free-text questions, and also wondered as to how these were going to be of any real value - and went and made a spaghetti carbonara instead.

As noted earlier, I too apologise for any perceived negativity, but didn't really feel I could make a meaningful contribution as the survey stands at present.

Mike.

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton »

Did it and gave an email address, I have so many!
Last question I answered "women lack power in general", I told the truth!

Nick-C

Post by Nick-C »

Hi Nigel,
I wonder if you could clarify your phrase ‘women lack power in general’?

Do you mean ‘all women lack power in general, when compared to all men’?

Or:
‘Some women lack power in general, when compared to some men’?

Or, is the phrase ‘women lack power in general’ based on some non-gender specific reference?

Also:
In using the word ‘power’, do you mean ‘physical power’, in terms of ability to overcome resistance in a specific period of time?

Or:
Does ‘power’ mean ‘tactical power’, in terms of ability to select and apply appropriate actions based on knowledge and experience, in challenging outdoor environments?

Or:
Does ‘power’ mean ‘emotional power’ in terms of ability to identify and respond to interpersonal dynamics within groups, in challenging outdoor environments?

Or, does ‘power’ mean ‘societal power’?

Or, all / some of the above?

I’m trying to develop a better understanding of your phrase ‘women lack power in general’.
Sometimes repetition aids clarification - so here goes:

‘women lack power in general’

No, I still don’t get it. Help needed here.

Thanks,
Nick

Bazza S

Post by Bazza S »

nigelhatton wrote:Did it and gave an email address, I have so many! Last question I answered "women lack power in general", I told the truth!
You didn't tell the truth, you just voiced your opinion. I'm wondering why this is the only one of your answers that you've mentioned.

Barry

Backwater

Post by Backwater »

Lisa. The danger with putting questionnaires on kayaking forums is that you find out the level of gender participation on kayaking forums, not paddling! The statistics are a bit skewed to one side it would seem. I wish you good luck with your degree and good fun in your paddling.

Nick-C

Post by Nick-C »

MikeB wrote:
I think there will indeed be a continuation of FEMALE specific participation. As evidenced by the increasing plethora of female-only trips / gatherings / festivals and such. Whether that is appropriate is another matter entirely. Whether it is actually legal may be yet another matter.
PLETHORA
'a large or excessive amount of something' http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... h/plethora

This thread appears to be concerned with female-specific participation in sea kayaking and research design. To develop the discussion in an interesting direction, perhaps the UK Rivers sea kayak community could work together to produce a comprehensive list of female-only sea kayak trips and events / gatherings. I suggest that we organise the data into two categories:

1. UK-based female-only canoe / kayak events / gatherings (in 2014 and/or 2015)
2. Female-only sea kayak trips undertaken by UK paddlers (in 2014 and/or 2015)

Clearly, this latter category will require further sub-division, accounting for intent or otherwise in the gender-specific group compositions.

It might also be helpful to indicate the longevity of each listed event / gathering, to better establish the 'increasing' nature (or otherwise) of the 'evidenced...plethora'.

Once complete, we might be better able to test the hypothesis that there is an 'increasing plethora of female-only trips / gatherings / festivals and such'. We could then establish the necessity or otherwise of discussing the 'appropriateness' and 'legality' of the situation.

If approached with sufficient academic rigour, a dispassionate, balanced discussion might reach conclusions that will be of benefit to the OP in their current area of academic study.

I'll make a start:

Festivals / gatherings:

Ladies paddle symposium, North Wales (since 2013): http://ladiespaddlesymposium.com/
Women's sea kayak festival, South Devon (new in 2015): http://www.womensseakayakfestival.co.uk/
Women's Scottish sea kayak festival, Bute (since 2012): http://www.kayakbute.co.uk/date-details.php?id=408

Thanks in advance for any additions to the above list.
Nick

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Scottish Women’s Paddle Symposium, Findhorn - not exclusively sea kayaking. No idea how long it's been run.

Many of the more interesting aspects of why there is a need for a female specific event were discussed here some years ago. http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... il#p629332

Of the 28 or so events noted here http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk/Mi ... 20List.pdf for 2015, 2 are "female specific".

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton »

Last question I answered.
"Please comment on anything else that is relevant to your own experience, the experience of others, or how kayaking is perceived in relation to gender."
This question is a three part question. So what is relevant to my own kayaking experience with women is they they lack power in general. This is because I am a former multiple national and international powerlifting champion that trains in the gym four days a week and has competed in many flat water and sea kayak and ski races. So I am pretty strong, fast etc and when paddling in a group we go at the speed of the slowest paddler who is normally a woman, not really a problem for me.
On one occasion three of us paddled from Herne Bay to some wind turbines five miles offshore, we never got there because I made the decision that we turn back to shore just half a mile short when the the female paddler was very tired and aching shoulders and fog looming. I towed her back to Herne Bay but when I looked behind me she was not paddling. I asked why have you stopped paddling and she said you're going too fast! Her husband also helped to tow.
In my old BCU training days in Brixham Devon, the ladies would lack power getting around a headland we call Berry Head. At my old club, Palavas, in the south of France the ladies struggle against the current in the canal returning to the clubhouse.

I gave an honest answer to the question based on my experiences. Please feel free to ask for any other explanations I may be able to offer.
By the way, I agree with Mike Bs comment " whether it is actually legal may be another matter" some might be thinking of sexual discrimination.

Big Fish

Post by Big Fish »

Excellently designed flier on this page by the investigator. The hypothesis seems to be that there is an imbalance in gender participation in sea kayaking. The lab rats flock into the maze, and.......taadaa!.......all of the respondents on the thread are men. Almost certainly reaches statistical significance without having to go any further. Congratulations. Quod erat demonstrandum

Nick-C

Post by Nick-C »

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your honest reply. I've read your response and have formed this understanding. I'll paraphrase here; please correct me if I have misunderstood you in any way.

In your personal experience, and based on your perceptions of events arising during your time afloat in various kayaking disciplines, all female paddlers that you have encountered lack physical power in general, when compared to the physical power that you possess. In addition, all female paddlers that you have encountered in clubs at which you have been a member have lacked physical power when compared to all/most (not specified) male paddlers.

This, as I understand it, is your truth, based on your perceived experiences.

Regarding your closing comment, I am not sure that MikeB has overtly stated a belief that female-only events and gatherings would fall short in a legal sense; his comments earlier in this thread are ambiguous. I understand that you believe female-only events and gatherings to be grounds for sexual discrimination. It's clear that you are not the only forum member who holds this point of view, given the posts contained in the thread linked above. Whether such opinions fairly represent the balanced view of the wider paddling community is 'another matter entirely', to borrow an earlier-used phrase.

I've asked you to clarify your comments, and you've taken the trouble to do so. It's only fair to explain my reason for doing so. I've worked in the outdoors for a long time, in a variety of roles. I've been occasionally involved in the organisation of female-only outdoor activity provision. I've studied the research into gender differences in involvement in competition- and recreation-based sport, including outdoor activities. I've been a private-sector employer of outdoor instructors, female and male. I also deliver paddlesport coach education courses for our national governing body. Finally, I've paddled with a wide range of female and male paddlers across the years in a variety of disciplines.

I don't recognise your position in my perceived experiences, so we disagree. I understand, and fully support, the decisions female paddlers might make to attend a coaching or participation event structured to best suit their needs. I appreciate the impact that an arrogant male can have on the confidence and desire to participate of 'less powerful' individuals of both genders. I also find the assertion that female-only events might be inappropriate or illegal to be self-serving, ignorant and laughable.

I was motivated to contribute to this thread, rather than to follow my instinct and enjoy the entertainment value of opinionated ignorance, for one reason. The OP, Lisa, projected only enthusiasm and expectation of a positive response in her request for help from forum members. I groaned when I read the title of the thread, anticipating exactly what would happen next. First, the criticisms of her research design, understandable from old hands familiar with the issues of collecting reliable data.

(Incidentally, the impatience of some forum members with the problems of 'parsing freetext responses into meaningful data' melt away when, for example, asked to provide 'when I...' stories of their shoulder injury histories. No issues with the qualitative vs quantitive debate on those occasions.)

I'm sure that the Lisa will have found the research design-related responses helpful, for the most part. But then, inevitably, the thread slides towards the old 'sexual discrimination' argument. I'm only surprised that no one has mentioned Rosa Parks or Steve Biko yet. I just hope that Lisa sees some of the comments contained in this and related threads as exactly what they are, and finds suitable entertainment in them.

Nick

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton »

Nick c,
Let's be absolutely cristal clear and understood. I am not in anyway superior minded or the slightest anti_ female. I participated in the questionaire but wasn't expecting to be questioned about one response I gave. I am not superior to any woman in a kayak apart from being more powerful. A few years ago I and a few others organised sea kayak races and we had women competiters.Before that I organised weightlifting competitions with classes for both sexes. The problem with forums like this and many others is that they do not convey emotion so therefore can be misinterpreted.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

"(Incidentally, the impatience of some forum members with the problems of 'parsing freetext responses into meaningful data' melt away when, for example, asked to provide 'when I...' stories of their shoulder injury histories. No issues with the qualitative vs quantitive debate on those occasions.)"

Not sure what this refers to?

Matt P

Post by Matt P »

It refers to this thread / topic - link

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Clearly my attempts at a combination of light-heartedness / irony / rhetorical questions have (for some, at least) completely missed the point / gone over their heads.

So.

1: It clearly seems there is a place for gender specific (women only) events - largely, I suspect, because of some of the attitudes expressed here and in other posts. Such events are popular, well attended and valued.

2: There are two this year. (That was my attempt at irony). Failed.

3: The Equality Act clearly makes it acceptable to do so. (Although I was hoping for a discussion).

It remains, however, perhaps unfortunate, that in the 21st century, with legislation such as the Equality Act in the background, and a generally far more inclusive approach to life in general, that there has been a notable increase in the number of "female specific" events offered within our sport. Go back 10 years, and see how may such events existed. And the answer will be less than 1.

As to this "power" business - there is physical power - and there is technique! Just a thought. Far too many male sea kayakers make a thing of their physical prowess.

Mike.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

OK - to be clearer -- I'm not sure of the relevance.

From my own experience of this forum (and remember, this is only my perception and is not backed up by anything as dull as some statistics...)

Paddling with mixed groups on the sea - it is seldom a lack of power or ability which has caused groups to fragment on an open passage, especially if the conditions are fairly calm. It tends to be due more to small groups of paddlers getting too engrossed in having a good blether. The gender of these groups is as often all female as it is all male - but seems to be less often of mixed gender.
Does this mean anything? If a couple of women start having a chat do the blokes assume they are talking about frocks and cakes and give them a wide berth? If a few blokes start having a natter do the ladies believe that football and cars will be being discussed and so do likewise. Granted, there are many blokes who can discuss the finer points of fashion or the best recipes for proper pancakes (drop scones elsewhere I think they are called) and there are many women who are passionate about their footie and their cars - but let's just go with the generalisation for now - the end result often seems to be a same sex group getting caught up in conversation, putting the world to rights, and falling behind. Does that tell us anything useful?

Looking at the posts on this forum, and splitting us into three groups - again it's my perception but I'd say that, in general;-
The female members of the group are less likely to voice a strong opinion on the forum. They are less likely to challenge anyone's statement or belief. And they are considerably less likely to offer good advice when none was asked for!

The male members of the group are fairly likely to voice a strong opinion. They are fairly likely to challenge someone else's statement or belief. And they are quite likely to offer "good advice" - even when no advice was asked for!

And finally - the third group - the "professional coaches" who are extremely likely to voice a strong opinion. Are extremely likely to challenge someone else's statement or belief. And they are extremely likely to offer "good advice" - even when no advice was asked for!

There is only one question left really - which of these groups has the best (or worst) sense of humour? At the end of the day, I'd rather paddle with the group that was having a laugh and having a bit of fun - regardless of gender, race, colour of creed. :-P

Sea kayaking, to me, is completely open, inclusive and welcoming - and that's what makes it such a fantastic sport (if it is a sport?) Let's not spoil it by trying to divide the paddling community up along any kind of arbitrary lines and just get on with paddling together, or alone - whatever floats your boat.

Nick-C

Post by Nick-C »

Hi Nigel,

It's a shame that you feel challenged by my request to clarify one of your answers. It's none of my business what you choose to contribute to Lisa's dissertation. But here's the thing - you put your answer on the internet. This forum is not a closed group, it's for anyone to read. So, I read it and sought clarification. Thanks for your honest answers.

I'm all for spirited debate, which is why I've posted in this thread about a subject that is of interest to me. I've enjoyed the exchange and found it a worthwhile experience.

Incidentally, the UK Climbing forum has 'The Pub': a less-strictly moderated forum where more 'edgy' comment and opinion can be exchanged - only available to registered users. Basically, if you sign in, you know what you're in for. If this forum had such a place, it might be a comfortable home for ribald comment, free from the concern that humorless killjoys like me might spoil the party.

Hi MikeB,

I don't think your rhetorical questions went over my head. I can also find amusement in genuinely funny comments on internet forums. And I recognise irony when I read it. I'm pretty sure I haven't missed your point.

I'm all for discussion too, which is why I expressed my view (and only a view) that there is a positive place for female-only events, especially those that provide coaching activities. It's possible that some females, some of the time, may wish to experience their sport in all-female groups with female leaders / coaches. If you'd like a discussion, let's keep the thread alive. We may even read a few female perspectives, given time.

Hi pathbrae,

It's great to read your perceived experiences too. A sense of humour is important, it's all about having the best time afloat.
Regarding your observation about 'professional coaches', I'd disagree with you (in my experience, and based only on the sea kayak element of this forum).

I would contend that very few 'professional coaches', through posts on this sea kayak forum, are: 'extremely likely to voice a strong opinion... are extremely likely to challenge someone else's statement or belief... (or) are extremely likely to offer "good advice" - even when no advice was asked for!'

In fact, it seems to me that very few professional coaches ever post any content on this forum. I once became curious about this fact and asked a number of my colleagues why they avoid the forum. The consistent responses spoke to a reluctance to express 'opinion' in such an environment - quite the opposite of the assumption made here.

Of course, there are some 'professional coaches' that do contribute and, in reading their posts, I often find them reasonable, balanced and useful. To take a specific example, Simon Westgarth is a regular contributor to the inland forum. No one could accuse Simon of lacking conviction! But his posts are often excellent and a reflection of his great experience.

I have posted only a few times on this forum, and would be disappointed to be considered 'opinionated'. But I'm all for healthy debate, so do please go through my posting history in search of unsolicited advice or extremely strong opinion, beyond that typically found in this forum.

So - let's get back to the debate! Are female-only kayak events a good thing? Or are they to the detriment of UK sea kayaking? I've come down on the 'good thing' side, and look forward to reading the supporting and counter-arguments.

And feel free to challenge me on any the comments I've made thus far - I'm willing to stand corrected where necessary.

Finally, boys, in case this whole thread is becoming tedious - well, you brought the subjects up!

Nick-C

Post by Nick-C »

Hi boys,

Check out this link - you'll love it! Unironic humour, a great message, and an entirely appropriate (and legal) take on the UK Rivers sea kayak forum scene. Enjoy!

Time for me to leave the dance floor...
Nick

PSK

Post by PSK »

pathbrae wrote:best recipes for proper pancakes
125g plain flour
300ml skimmed milk
1-2 eggs
pinch of salt

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

I find a wee dribble of oil in the mixture helps too.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Isn't self raising, with a touch of castor sugar good too?

PSK

Post by PSK »

I always thought salt was for pancakes and sugar was for crepes, but may be wrong...

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

Wrong kind of pancake Mike?? -- Not these big things done in a frying pan...... Drop Scones like your granny used to make, hot off the griddle with just a bit of butter.
(I always got griddles and girdles mixed up in my youth. Now I'm older and, possibly, wiser I'd almost certainly prefer a partner to posses a good gridle)

For the frying pan variety... chop and cook a rasher of bacon in a hot frying pan with a splash of oil, cook the pancake in the same pan with the bacon bits and serve with Maple Syrup. Scrummy!

We'll have to have a cook camp paddle sometime before the midges get too ferocious.

Any venue suggestions?

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Ah - my bad. I see what you mean - them drop scone things are more of a Scottish thing though, and only being a Scot by adoption I suppose I've missed out on a whole swath of cookery expertise. But I DO like the sound of your bacon pancake idea!

Yes - a cookery trip - what a very good idea.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox »

Ocean Paddler #44

Hello Lisa, good luck with your project. I have been pleased to complete the questionnaire. I like sea kayaking as it is something I can do with my wife and daughters.

Douglas

Nick-C

Post by Nick-C »

Lacking kitchen confidence? Let Jamie show you the way! Some of you boys might find this very useful, next time you're preparing drop scones...