Views on the Ocean Signal PLB1?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
alisonwall

Views on the Ocean Signal PLB1?

Post by alisonwall » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:18 pm

I'm about to purchase a PLB for both sea kayaking and mountain use. I've read previous postings about the McMurdo FastFind 220, which looks like a good option.

However, I've also seen the Ocean Signal RescueMe PLB1 with GPS, which looks to be smaller and only 116g, so I'm tempted to go for this. If anyone else has purchased or looked at this PLB, I'd welcome views on how it compares and if you would recommend it.

Many thanks,

Alison

dhkayaking

Re: Views on the Ocean Signal PLB1?

Post by dhkayaking » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi Alison,

I have one and its great. Very small compared to others on the market. Its also got a 7 year battery which is 2 years more than most.

Luckily I have not had to use it, but I am very happy with my one.

David

alisonwall

Post by alisonwall » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:42 pm

Thanks David for your reply which was very useful to see. I've brought one now and its arrived very quickly. It does look nice and small and easy to fit in/on my buoyancy aid.

Unfortunately the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency aren't working on the same timescales. I've just registered it on-line and was dismayed to see this message:

406 MHz Beacon (EPIRBs, PLBs or ELTs), new or change of registration
Your application to register your 406 MHz beacon has been sent to the Beacon Registry and it will be actioned as soon as possible. Unfortunately, due to staff shortages there is a current delay in the input of registrations of around 8 weeks, therefore if you have an urgent registration it is recommended that you contact the Registry on Tel: +44 (0)1326 211569.

Looks like I might need to phone to make sure its registered when I first take it out - I hope in a few weeks.

Thanks,

Alison

Phizz4

Post by Phizz4 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:34 pm

I posted my registration document in June 2014 and received the registration details last week!

alisonwall

Post by alisonwall » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:25 pm

Thanks Phizz4. On reading of your experience, I emailed the Beacon Registry on Sunday. I received a reply on Monday morning to say they had my on-line input and would make sure it was processed in the next couple of weeks.

In case anyone else needs the contact details, the email for the Beacon Registry is ukbeacons@mcga.gov.uk and the on-line registration is now at http://www.gov.uk/406beacon .

Thanks,
Alison

dhkayaking

Post by dhkayaking » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:39 pm

Great to hear you are happy with your new PLB.

Thats a pity about the slow processing speed of the registry.

Fortunately no issue here in Ireland. Main thing is they come for you if you need help!