Water in my Werner

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Ligan

Water in my Werner

Post by Ligan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:56 pm

Hi folks,
Just come back from some paddling yesterday and noticed water inside the hollow shaft of my werner pro carbon paddle, its about 5 years old so the warranty is out the window.

Any tips or tricks on how to get the water back out would be appreciated?

Ligan

brianm400

Re: Water in my Werner

Post by brianm400 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:13 am

Hi. A suggestion only.
Drill the smallest hole possible in each end of the shaft. File a very small flat first so that the drill doesn't skid off, and press gently when you drill because the shaft wall is quite thin. You will have to tap the shaft and listen to the sound to locate the extent of the hollow in each end to find the best place to drill. Next tilt the paddle, allow the water to settle at one end, then blow the water out using the other hole, either by mouth or perhaps by rigging up a hair drier set on cold. You won't get all the water out but most of it. If you then plug one hole, then blow again, you might locate the leak and plug it. Otherwise you will have to just plug the holes with a soft filler and repeat this process at regular intervals.
That's how I would tackle this. Hope that helps.

bjoern

Post by bjoern » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:03 pm

Not sure if you need 2 holes. If you drill only one, you can blow into it and find the leak (probably use some leak detection spay).
Then use a hypodermic syringe to get the water out through the hole you drilled, close the leak and the hole...

However I am not sure how much of a weak spot you will introduce by drilling a hole into a carbon shaft ???? I would guess the forces on the shaft are largest, closest to the blade. There will be compression on the back and tension on the power side, so drill in line with the blade???
I am sure we have some carbon fiber experts on the forum, who can comment on this.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:08 pm

Is it a split paddle - and if so, is it it possible to drill through the plug in the shaft and syringe out any water that way? (or possibly even just heat the shaft gently with warm air and let air pressure push the water out)

Were they in use or being carried as spares on deck? I had an old pair of splits in a river boat which would let a bit of water in when there was water in the boat but they were OK when being used as paddles. Standing them blade up in the garage let them dry out
So much sea - so little time to see it.

SJD

Post by SJD » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:27 pm

Did you contact Werner? Even if the paddle is no longer covered by warranty they should be able to give advice on the proper action.

Why drill holes? That means more holes to plug. With a little finesse you should be able to have the water drain out through the same hole it entered. That has worked for me in the past. A little trail is left behind leading to the leak spot.

Ligan

Post by Ligan » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the tips and ideas, I balked at the idea of drilling a hole so opted to leave it beside the radiator in my kit drying room (read spare bed room) with a de humidifier on. It seams to be working gradually but I agree giving werner a call may be worth a shot
Cheers

Garry

Post by Garry » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:09 am

I had a similar problem with my blades in the past. I could hear and feel that there was a small amount of water inside them, but not clear how it got in or how to get it out. I found (mostly by accident) that leaving them in the car on a sunny day did the trick, which is essentially what you appear to be doing with your radiator approach :-)

So a bit of evaporation in a warm environment and enough time seems to work to get it out, so then you need to stop it happening again. I found that some new tape or sealant/resin at the point the blade joins the shaft worked, as this was the most likely place for any "pinprick" type hole to occur.