GPS

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Chris Bolton

Re: GPS

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:34 pm

do you know if this will work solely on a tablet/phone or do you need the desktop app to manage the android device?
I think it should be possible to copy the chart files from the CD and load them onto the android, but I haven't done it. You might need the PC software to manage the licence. I will try some experiments and post back.

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:26 pm

I use Viewranger for maps and think i paid about £50 for full 1:50 OS maps. For charts I use Navionics Uk and Ireland which was free! Just remember to put your phone on flight mode so it's not spending all day searching for a signal, wifi and bluetooth devices.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:32 pm

Just a quick update/word of caution regarding my post to Daker on 12th Feb.

Last week I was on a nice day out in the sun, paddling off the West coast of Anglesey heading for Rhoscolyn Beacon. I had kind of not noticed how much I (subconsciously) use the App on my Garmin Fenix 3 to keep tabs on my speed and position, until I went to check how far I had to go to the butty stop and I scrolled through my screens to check my current grid ref only to find it said "Outside UK?"
Strangely, although it was flat calm, I was with a trusted companion and I could plainly see the bay I needed to get to - I was temporarily thrown by the failure of my technology!!
Don't get me wrong, I don't spend my paddling time staring at my watch and in no way do I rely on GPS or electronic devices for navigation or safety BUT for a second, being devoid of the information I was used to kind of niggled me.

Anyway, I soon got over it but once I got home I wanted to find out what had gone wrong. So here's the word of caution to anybody using downloaded data fields on your devices. As I am always getting updates for Apps on my phone, I wondered if the data field I had downloaded and embedded in my App was up to date or even possibly withdrawn all together. I checked the downloads in my phone and sure enough there was an "update available" for the UK Grid Ref data field I had chosen to use. I updated the data field and re-synced my Garmin and BINGO! everything is now good again. I had NOT received a warning or notification that updates were available for any of my data fields so this is just a word of caution - CHECK YOUR TECH!!

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:00 pm

Three posts back, I wrote that I'd check whether Memory Map charts can be loaded onto an Android phone. The answer is Yes. The Memory Map website has instructions for copying onto an SD card and activating the licence. I had already registered the licence on my PC and the licence covers five devices so I could activate one of those. If you haven't activated it before, I think you will be asked to enter the serial number from the package.

Fast Pat

Post by Fast Pat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:31 am

I have a Garmin Oregon 450 loaded with 1:50 OS GB (not NI) sat on my shelf gathering dust, I've also got a couple of bike mounts for it somewhere. They seem to sell on ebay for £180 or so, so £150 ono incl postage if anyone wants it.