GPS

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
psyalan

GPS

Post by psyalan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi all, I am thinking of purchasing a GPS to take out on the water with me when kayaking, just to know exactly where I am at any time,exactly,any advice or recommendations?

Bards

Re: GPS

Post by Bards » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:27 pm

I chose a VHF with inbuilt GPS and not too fixated on the 'Rule of Two's' so job's a good 'un. I gave up on GPS a while ago - other than as a monitor of speed it served no real extra purpose for me. I generally use an OS map on deck, but then some long/lat grid lines can be drawn over the laminate.There may well be some drawbacks, but they've never become clear to me...
That doesn't address the question directly but I hope it's somehow helpful

Bards

foxtrot

Post by foxtrot » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:02 pm

I bought the simplest I could find, a Garmin Etrex 10. It still can do so much more than I can figure out but at least I know exactly where I am - OS Ref or Lat/Long - at the push of a button, which is all I wanted. Shop around, there are some good prices out there.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:24 am

Garmin Map series. I have had a Map 60C for probably about 7 years and have never had any problems with it. Tough, reliable, intuitive and if you wait for the right moment there are some excellent bargains on the latest versions.
Definitely go for a colour version as it makes everything so much clearer.

Rog.

Erewash

Post by Erewash » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:57 pm

I used an old Garmin etrex which just gave me the distance covered and the position. I found it useful for river kayaking in combination with a river guide that mentions features along the river, for sea kayaking when you want to know where you are along a coast and for checking transits, and generally in case you need to call for help.

Purchased a Montana 600 recently with 1:50k OS maps which in addition shows me the position on a map, so you don't need to fuff around with laminated copies.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:34 pm

An old Garmin summit for me, also used on my hill walking days.
It's supposed to be waterproof but on salt water I tend to put it into a waterproof cover just in case.
It's always fun to download the track info onto the PC after a trip and find out how fast (or, more often,slowly!) I was really paddling, how far I went, how long it took etc.
The only time I've ever really relied on it was when we went out for a night paddle, having put our tents up on the shore. We were fairly sure we would find our way back and find the tents OK with torches but there was nothing to see. GPS led us straight back to our campsite with us all learning just how hard to spot from the water a landing site and campsite could be, even with retro-flective guy lines etc.
If I'm paddling anywhere with mud or sand banks (Tay estuary springs to mind) I'll mark them with waypoints as "keep off" marks to help with navigation, especially on a falling tide.
It's good to keep an eye on your speed over the ground too.
So far the altitude track has always been a bit dull ____________ - if it ever looks like WWWW then I'll know it's been a big day... :-O
So much sea - so little time to see it.

psyalan

Post by psyalan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:19 pm

Thank you all for the replies, yes indeed they have been a great help, I do appreciate the help....I might stick to the maps, paper, for the mo.........although "Dear Santa"...........

Nick P

Post by Nick P » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:41 pm

Just a thought....
Back in the summer I saw a guy who was paddling around the south west and he had a 7" Samsung tablet in a dry case. He also had charts and OS maps loaded on it, which together with the tablets GPS capability meant he had an effective GPS/plotter system on board and could switch between charts and maps. It seemed like the perfect system.
No doubt those more knowledgeable than I will be able to comment on this.

Nick

Mikebelluk

Post by Mikebelluk » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:24 am

Again, Garmin eTrex will tell you where you are, elapsed time and speed etc.... lots going on eBay for around £50.
Had mine for years, still works great, I don't even bother putting it in a case, hang it round my neck and just make sure I rinse it off when necessary. Lithium batteries are best.

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:57 am

ive tried an ipad mini in a case and it was great - you get full gps functions and mapping but you do need to download the maps so you dont have to have a signal - the problems i had were battery life and fragility the ipad is not really built for being out and about in the marine environment.

i now have a Garmin 62s for expeditions in my sea kayak - its very rugged and has built in os maps which are a must have imo especially for navigating in the dark. For my surf ski i use a Garmin 310x watch with heart rate monitor - it gives all the basic info you need and downloads the track onto your computer - good if you want a small light gps
Mal

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:23 pm

I've an etrex sat doing nothing if anyone wants to make an offer. Just sat on a shelf to be used one day at the minute.

CharlieS

Post by CharlieS » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:20 am

I'd also recommend Garmin 62s. I use it tethered to the spraydeck without any waterproof case. Not ever had a salt water problem with this one, or with the 60cs that I had before (lesson learned there was never to put it on the roof of your car 'just to get a signal before I drive off'.)

I take the back off, batteries out and rinse it after each use, then towel it and leave to air dry.

Having had two very different dry cases fail recently (for a phone) I'd far prefer a GPS that's reliably waterproof in its own right than something else in a bag.

Charlie

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:48 am

I apply lots of vaselene to the back seals of my Garmin 62s and its also not in a case - plus they float !
Mal

Spikeedog

Post by Spikeedog » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:49 pm

So what's the latest best buy with downloadable OS maps?

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:17 pm

I use a Garmin Fenix 3 wristwatch with my own App designed for sea kayak journeys. The watch is fully waterproof and being on your wrist it is easy to see at all times even when holding tight onto your paddle!!
The Fenix allows you to customise the screens on your App, it is very simple. On my home screen I have displayed Time of day, distance travelled and time elapsed. On screen 2 (toggle by pressing a button) I have speed in knots, speed in kmh and average speed in kmh (you can customise your units) On screen 3 I have OS map grid ref numbers (very useful for coastal paddling and estuaries) on screen 4 I have Lat and Long (for Coastguard/RNLI) and on screen 5 I have a digital compass for direction of travel. So in one wrist top device I have everything I need to tell me where I am, which way I am going, how fast I am moving, how long it has taken me. When you get back to shore, all the details of the the journey are automatically downloaded to 'Garmin connect' or 'Strava' for a permanent record of your trip.
The only shortfall (if you see it that way) is that there is no map display - but I carry maps for that purpose. My eyes aren't good enough to see the tiny display on most of the hand held GPS devices mentioned so far and the area covered by a tiny screen is hardly worth having anyway. A real map is still best in my opinion, and used in conjunction with the wrist top GPS is brilliant for tracking and real time journey info.

Daker

Post by Daker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:31 pm

seawolf856,
is your app available for others to download please as sounds interesting, particularly the Grid Ref as part of the display options without having to go into a separate navigation menu ?

I have a Fenix5 Plus which actually has the mapping software built in but I wouldn't use if for real navigation purposes, but find some of the standard screen options a bit limited.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:19 pm

Hi Daker,

The Fenix 5 is perfect for doing exactly as I have done with my Fenix 3. There were no downloadable Apps in the Garmin IQ store for kayaking (SUP, Rowing, Open water swimming - YES! but nothing for kayaking), so I decided to have a go at making my own and it was surprisingly easy. I agree with you, my main motivation for making my own App including a grid ref page was the need to have a grid ref and lat long screen without having to go to a separate navigation App/menu and it works a treat.
To create your own App, on your watch press and hold the middle left button to enter a menu screen. Select 'settings' and press the main top right button to enter. Select 'Apps' and press main top RH button to enter. Scroll up (or down) using mid left or bottom left buttons and select 'Add new'.
Then you really can just select what you want to display on any of your screens and design your own App with any number of data fields and customise these to suit yourself. Save your new app calling it whatever you want. 'Sea kayaking' seemed most appropriate to me.
To get the Grid ref info, you will need to go to the Garmin IQ store and download any one of the free data fields or widgets listed on there. When you find one you like - I just picked a very basic 6 figure UK GR data field - then download it to your watch. Once this has been done you can import it to the page you are creating, it sounds complicated as I am describing it but seriously if I can do it, anybody can. There are also loads of YouTube clips showing you how to make new Apps for the Fenix so don't worry.

Good luck, and maybe Garmin (or somebody) will eventually create a kayaking App so we don't have to do our own. Actually I love my own wrist top App, it is fantastic having the info at a glance and cool being able to share statistics and real time info with your fellow paddlers without having to fumble with your GPS/phone. You can watch them gasp in admiration haha! Let me know how you get on.

Daker

Post by Daker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:35 pm

Thanks for the reply.
On looking further I realised I can do that from the existing data fields available on the Fenix 5. Map reference comes up onthe nag widgets but it can be added to any of the others as acustomdata field.

The more I thought about it, I realised Grid Ref May come in useful in any other activities in case of an accident, so I have also added it to my data for MTBing, running etc.

Thanks for the suggestion.

TheEcho

Post by TheEcho » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:32 pm

I have a Fenix 5 as well. I have used the nav screens to give me a bearing and distance to my destination which was great when crossing a fast moving tidal stream and only 1 landmark ahead so no parallax. Seeing the distance always decreasing was reassuring. I don’t think adding a new destination waypoint on the water would be possible though as entering data on a device that small is fiddly and I could only find entry of a particular format of lat long, not grid ref.

Ideally I would like a companion phone app which accepts a location in any of half a dozen formats, or you can click on a map, and the waypoint is synced to the watch. I haven’t found one yet.

G7AFM

Post by G7AFM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:07 pm

You can get apps for mobile phones for gps coordinates if you only want to carry one device & want limited detail
but they do use battery life quickly if running continually.
try grid ref for android similar names on windows/i phone & they don.t eat into your data allowance.

adventureagent

Post by adventureagent » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:42 pm

I use a Garmin GPSMAP64st. It has a few routes, a few way points and “stuff” like dams that don't have gates, hence no water movement risks, launch parking, eagle nest sites, and such.

This unit replaces the GPSMAP64s that I probably kicked off one of my takeout docks. To whomever found or finds it, it should be a wonderful toy and in good shape. I had it in a nice, expensive waterproof case, even though it's supposed to be waterproof. It had a nice, florescent security cord on it, too, so I could find it easily. (Ha)

That unit replaced the GPSMAP that, like Charles S, I placed on the car roof “for now" while I carried on loading the rest of my gear into the car. The peculiar expressions on the faces of the British accented tourists to whom I spoke, makes me think they found something useful, like a cell phone. They seemed happy to see my little rig vanish to the horizon.

I haven’t bought an sd card for my present unit, as I still sting from the loss of routes etc on the two predecessors. So, maybe my generosity is declining. This unit has been in my possession for almost two years now, so ... things are looking up. I'm learning about gps kayaking.
CELEBRATE LIFE: PADDLE by ALL MEANS !

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:05 pm

I use a waterproof "tough" phone which I loaded it with Viewranger OS maps and Navionics. Use it in flight mode and it will last 3 days with the gps tracking and has a much bigger screen. I used to have a Garmin Oregon 450 and this is definitely better than that, and more accurate as it also has glonass, which I know the later GPS units also have.

Spikeedog

Post by Spikeedog » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:46 pm

Fozzy wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:05 pm
I use a waterproof "tough" phone which I loaded it with Viewranger OS maps and Navionics.
Interesting - what's a waterproof tough phone and how big is the screen?

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:54 pm

Spikeedog wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:46 pm
Fozzy wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:05 pm
I use a waterproof "tough" phone which I loaded it with Viewranger OS maps and Navionics.
Interesting - what's a waterproof tough phone and how big is the screen?

There are a number of tough phones available, Doogee, Armor, BV6000 etc. Mine is a Homtom Zoji Z8 with a 5in screen 64gb memory etc etc. IP68 rated cost me £93. Probably not great for gaming but as I've never played a computer game since space invaders I'm not bother by that.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOMTOM- ... 4c4dx28IC7

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:20 pm

Mine is a Homtom Zoji Z8 with a 5in screen 64gb memory etc etc. IP68 rated cost me £93
Thanks, Fozzy. I use Memory Map, and I think their app will run on that. Your link doesn't work, but I found it on Aliexpress - that's in the US, did you get it from there and if so did you have to pay import duty on top of the advertised price?

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:20 pm

Chris Bolton wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:20 pm
Mine is a Homtom Zoji Z8 with a 5in screen 64gb memory etc etc. IP68 rated cost me £93
Thanks, Fozzy. I use Memory Map, and I think their app will run on that. Your link doesn't work, but I found it on Aliexpress - that's in the US, did you get it from there and if so did you have to pay import duty on top of the advertised price?
Hi Chris
I got mine from China, just add a note to seller asking them to mark the package as low value. I've bought lots of stuff from them and never had a problem, including full carbon paddles.

Spikeedog

Post by Spikeedog » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:46 pm

I actually need a replacement phone but hate the hype about new models and the Apple approach etc. I just want a basic phone with a long reliable battery so this looks a great option if you can load OS maps onto it and they are readable. How much do you pay for that bit?

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:03 pm

How much do you pay for that bit?
You can buy the 1:50k maps for the whole of GB (not UK, NI is not included) for £50 from Memory Map. The android app used to be £10 but I think it's free now. Memory Map also sell a full set UK marine charts for £25, which is a real bargain. (They were £50 when I bought them).

Spikeedog

Post by Spikeedog » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:49 pm

That's just amazing! Thanks.

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:58 am

Chris Bolton wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:03 pm
Memory Map also sell a full set UK marine charts for £25, which is a real bargain. (They were £50 when I bought them).
Thanks for the tip. Linux user here so I can't run the mac/windows desktop app: do you know if this will work solely on a tablet/phone or do you need the desktop app to manage the android device?