Got me a SOT beach toy...

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark R

Re: Got me a SOT beach toy...

Post by Mark R » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:08 pm

Managed to survive a paddle around the harbour without mishap yesterday...

http://southwestseakayaking.co.uk/2014/11/15/surfski/

I must say, I really do enjoy paddling this thing. It just glides along amazingly smoothly and as long as you don't think about anything much, it seems to stay upright by itself. The Sit-On-Top aspect is quite good fun...no faffing with spraydecks etc, and you can just pop your legs out and dangle them in the water when you feel like a break.

I frankly have no idea how folk paddle them in rough water though...guess I'll be giving it a try soon.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:10 pm

vintage wrote:Dawid Mocke has a book and dvd on surf ski.
I bought a pdf of this book, thanks.

It is indeed pretty basic...but given that I haven't a clue, that is probably no bad thing.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:14 pm

Mark R wrote:The Sit-On-Top aspect is quite good fun...no faffing with spraydecks etc,
Also one of the reasons I'm enjoying paddling OC1.

Just make sure you don't get so used to it that you hike up some burn with your creek boat before discovering that you haven't put your spraydeck on. I may have done this on the Allt a Chaorainn, but only if there are photos.

EK Sydney

Post by EK Sydney » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:22 am

I frankly have no idea how folk paddle them in rough water though...guess I'll be giving it a try soon.
Find a bay that gets a little bit of chop, wait for a wind that will blow you back to shore if something goes amiss, then paddle 5 minutes into the teeth of a wind you're comfortable in, turn & paddle back with the waves. Those big loch thingys would be perfect!

You'll have the most problems turning, but if in doubt hang your legs over to swing it around.

You'll also notice the boat's stability really hardens up downwind, or even slightly off the wind. Ideally you want waves about a boat length apart, so there's no point jumping waves, but they're going fast enough so they push you along.

Nobody paddles skis in multidirectional water if they can help it, it's just not fun, doesn't matter how good you are.

A few 'out & back' sessions like this & you'll never want to paddle your ski on flat water again....

Mark.

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:32 pm

EK Sydney wrote:
Find a bay that gets a little bit of chop, wait for a wind that will blow you back to shore if something goes amiss, then paddle 5 minutes into the teeth of a wind you're comfortable in, turn & paddle back with the waves. Those big loch thingys would be perfect!
Not that Mark, or Mark, need it; but generlly I would urge a little caution with respect to "those big loch thingys" - you'd be surprized how many people get caught out paddling on big lakes and lochs because they don't realize they can be as serious as the sea, obviously sea lochs are the sea.
Deep fresh water is often colder than sea water, people don't realise that on a warm summers day when they could happily play in the sea in speedos (although they should wear something more acceptable) they could be hypothermic in minutes in a big deep lake just a few miles inland wearing the same.
The advice in this case is about looking for chop, so this will seem obvious to most, but to many occasional paddlers this comes as a big surprise, typically it is families in open boats (canoes, dinghies etc) who get too far from shore and discover the waves are much bigger and want to lap into the boat and sink it.

Anyway, Mark doesn't have any big loch thingys near him in the S of England (there are some big lakes but definitely no sea lochs), but he does have some big harbours to play in which are every bit as good.
Ultimately though, I can see that as soon as he develops a bit more confidence (maybe has already) the Ski will be heading out to K-bay for some waves....

EK Sydney

Post by EK Sydney » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:29 am

Thanks Jim, there was me thinking it was just the distilleries and monsters that could get ya....

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:40 am

EK Sydney wrote:Thanks Jim, there was me thinking it was just the distilleries and monsters that could get ya....
You have clearly never seen a Haggis attack then! :)

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:35 pm

Of some interest to me right now...

http://surfskipaddling.com/2015/01/10/s ... gh-winter/
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

journeyman

Post by journeyman » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:07 am

Getting out from under my warm toasty duvet to go for a paddle doesn't seem quite that attractive anymore.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:37 pm

Hopped in my skinny horror for a quick try at some real surf today, after a session of major beatdowns in my sea kayak.

I stuck to the small stuff (2-4 foot) within swimming distance of the quay. It certainly needs no encouragement to scream down a wave, indeed stopping wasn't much of an option. Interestingly I felt more stable surfing than paddling around in the line-up. Steering by rudder whilst surfing was a new one on me, but it worked fairly well in fine-tuning direction (as opposed to changing direction, which just isn't going to happen with a 6.4m boat). I tried leaning back (as recommended by all and sundry) and whilst I was still surprisingly stable, it made no difference to anything in this context.

Biggest challenge was turning to paddle back out - 30-40 mph onshore winds combined with the fact that you can't turn the thing unless you are moving meant that I had a few close calls with the rocks.

Still enjoying learning to use this thing, indeed I commend trying one to other old dogs wishing to learn new tricks.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Krizzy

Post by Krizzy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:15 pm

How you been getting on with the ski Since the last set of pics Mark. Feeling more comfortable on it yet? Run it down the face of any decent clean swell yet? I'm missing mine big time and looking for some vicarious ski action any way I can!

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:00 pm

Haven't used my SOT for a while as I've generally been busy using my other long boat... http://southwestseakayaking.co.uk/categ ... -kayaking/ ...but now the sun is shining, I intend to make a whole lot more use of it.

Currently trying to work out how practical it is/ isn't for longer day trips, where you need to carry food and liquid. How do those who do such things manage?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK