A Jiggle of Jellyfish

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Kate D

A Jiggle of Jellyfish

Post by Kate D »

Yesterday, paddling near Cromarty I came across a soup of jellyfish. It was hard to paddle without hitting them.

Jim

Re: A Jiggle of Jellyfish

Post by Jim »

Lucky those ones don't sting (humans, they sting prey obviously) :-)

I've seen pretty big rafts in the Kyles of Bute and around Cumbrae but much smaller/younger jellyfish - those looks to be pretty mature and really densely packed in.

secondtimer

Post by secondtimer »

The Marine Conservation Society is doing a survey at the moment at http://www.mcsuk.org/what_we_do/Wildlif ... YB,9NDG1,1. Apparently it's been a good year for jellies.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Cracking pic, Kate.

We came across a lot of jellyfish out in the open water last week, and one conversation we had revolved around the sensory awareness of jellyfish; are they moving to/ from locations deliberately (and if so, why?), or do they just drift randomly on wind and tide?

Despite having a PhD Biologist to hand, we couldn't answer this?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Jim

Post by Jim »

They do have a kind of jet propulsion system, but largely they are at the mercy of the currents and drift around the world with relatively little say in the matter. I believe there is some connection with leatherback turtles (which eat jellyfish), the gulf stream and jellyfish on the west coast.

Saw a few Lions Mane on the way to Ailsa Craig last week, not a surprise to me, I used to plough through hundreds of them kitesurfing at Troon in the summer (I find the sting similar to that of a nettle, but some people do react more severely).