Venture Jura^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
gt900uk

Venture Jura^

Post by gt900uk » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi all. Anyone got one or paddled one? As someone who as lived on the Argyll coast for many years I find my self with a hankering to get into sea kayaking. I was looking at this boat as it seems to be a good mix of features for a sensible price. I think a plastic boat would be best suited to the rocky coast line and would like something that could grow with me as my skills improve. Starting with days out and working up to multi day trips away. I have an old Pyranha Master 2 that I use on the local loch and sea on calm days so can paddle a bit but have no other skills. No clubs particularly nearby so no advice available from that avenue. Thoughts?

swagstaff

Re: Venture Jura

Post by swagstaff » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:16 pm

yes. The one we have is now called the Jura HV and we will be getting the Jura MV in a week or two and there is a Jura LV due sometime.
The HV seems to work quite well for a range of sizes despite having a large cockpit and being 23 inches wide. It's available to demo when it's not out on courses or rentals. It has a very easy to adjust backrest and quite a comfortable seat. Eventually it will probably replace the Capella in the Venture kayaks range? Yes I d take it to Jura especially with the weather we are having at the moment. It's very manoeuvrable and the one we have has e skudder option . I haven't paddled it loaded yet though.
Yes it seems good value at the price.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

gt900uk

Post by gt900uk » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Thanks for the reply, yeah the HV MV is another debate :) I am about 80kgs so looking at the MV. As a total novice with kayaks I'm not sure demoing a boat would reveal much to me other than it fitting OK. Would you say it's a good boat to start out with? Are the stability levels suitable for a beginer hopefully moving to a more advanced level.

uxb

Post by uxb » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:16 pm

gt900uk wrote: As a total novice with kayaks I'm not sure demoing a boat would reveal much to me other than it fitting OK.
You should try as many boats as you can, back-to-back if possible. You will be amazed at how different they all are- even as a novice, which is what I was/still am. I tried about 10 different boats in a week and was astonished in the difference between them.

Oban cant be too far away from you and not only is there Sea Kayaking Scotland and Oban Sea Kayak shop where you can demo a range of boats, There is Oban Canoe Club which has an active sea paddling section.

Try before you buy! That was the very good advice given to me.

gt900uk

Post by gt900uk » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:27 am

Thanks uxb. Yeah Oban is a couple of hours away. Shall have a look at Oban canoe club.

asmar

Post by asmar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:28 pm

gt900uk, I bought one JURA MV (I'm 185cm and 84-85kg) for testing a few weeks ago to see if it feets my business needs and I was suprised by the boat which lead me to order more.

It weathercocks minimal. Even with force 5 side winds I had half skeg down and was able to go in a very straight line easy. A way better than Scorpio or Capella in this.

It is very stable in flat water and up to sea state 4. At sea state 5 downwind seems a little bit tricky as the bow doesn't have enough rocker and going a lot inside the waves. It is however maybe the most wonderful cockpit I've ever tried (have tried more than 25 plastic boats the last 2 years) for my size. It can fit easily paddlers up to 100kg and the outfit is so great which make it great for rolling.

Shoe size 10-11 will not be a problem. At the knee leven the cockpit is very high and is extremely comfortable to cover short or big distances.

I used the skudder very little to check its performance and seems to do the job ok when is windy and not wavy (common to where I leave). The overall build is at very high standards.

I've done until now about 200 miles with it. Got also very positive feedback from a few clients that they tried it.

A lovely boat!

PS: It is already in my roof rack for tomorrow's paddling.

asmar

Post by asmar » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:35 pm

and a short video after a recent 3 days trip with fully loaded the JURA.

PS: How I can include the video in the forums? The youtube tag seems to do nothing.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:41 pm

Works for me----

Seems a terribly unstable boat - you keep capsizing :/)

sanddabber

Post by sanddabber » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:40 am

Asmar. Your video, not a very good demonstration of the jura apart from it is very easy to roll!

gt900uk

Post by gt900uk » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:52 pm

Asmar, thank you for that insight!

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:46 pm

Hi Gt
We now have both the Jura MV and the Jura HV available to demo free of charge at Sea Kayak Oban. The MV is the right size for me at 90 kegs and 6 ft tall. we are open 7 days a week this month. It's worth letting us know in advance or it might be out for the day. Cheers
Stuart
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

gt900uk

Post by gt900uk » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for letting me know, will need to try and get up. Still not convinced I would know a good boat from a bad one with a demo (other than fit). Probably need to get some paddling experience under my belt really.

Kayak Bute

Post by Kayak Bute » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:20 am

Hi, you might like to try one of our free demos with a little coaching thrown in - then buy the kayak that makes you smile most - who ever the manufacturer is. Details of Loch Lomond demos here: http://www.kayakbute.co.uk/demos.php

gt900uk

Re: Venture Jura^

Post by gt900uk » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:39 pm

That's a very nice offer thanks. The tide race boats look fantastic but are massively out of my price range. Might try and come along though wouldn't want to feel like I was wasting anyone's time.