Holiday reading

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Simongelder

Holiday reading

Post by Simongelder » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:21 pm

Am looking for some holiday reading - unfortunately won't be close to the sea. Have had a search of the site and couldn't see much on sea kayaking books which people recommend. My favourite books are the two by Brain Wilson, Blazing Paddles and Dances with Waves. The Paul Caffyn books have been recommended but are out of print. Am thinking of getting Fearless by Joe Glickman. Any good recommendations which are accessible would be appreciated!

MikeB

Re: Holiday reading

Post by MikeB » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:27 pm

Have you seen this? http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/books/bookshop

"Searching for the Finmen" is good - as is "Something Amazing", also "On Celtic Tides" and if you like war tales, then "Operation Suicide".

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:10 pm

Hi simon,

Try "The Canoe Boys" by Alastair Dunnet (a classic and still a great read), "Argonauts of the Western Isles" by Robin Lloyd-Jones and "Hebridean Waves" by Ewen Gillespie

Not kayaking related but fascinating nonetheless - "The Lighthouse Stevensons" by Bella Bathurst

Kind Regards

Ian

Simongelder

Post by Simongelder » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:45 pm

Thanks for the suggestions so far - some new ones which I haven't heard of here.

Jim - I did check the link in the almanac first but was really after inspirational accounts and travelogues rather than guides and manuals.

Ian - A book which I have re-read many times which sounds in a similar vein to the Canoe Boys is 'Kayak to Cape Wrath' by J.L.Henderson. Worth finding if you are interested in reading another well written 1950s account of sea kayaking up the west coast of Scotland in canvas canoes (kayaks!).

Mike - haven't heard of Operation Suicide but I have enjoyed the Cockleshell Heroes book.

Many thanks
Simon

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:20 pm

Simongelder wrote:The Paul Caffyn books have been recommended but are out of print.
E-mail Paul at <kayakpc@xtra.co.nz> and check with him dirrectly, Kayak Dundee Publications,

Also check on the KASK website under Pubications -

http://www.kask.org.nz/publications/

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:12 pm

secondtimer

Post by secondtimer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:40 am

I've been following the posted links and come across this one. Haven't read it myself but it looks promising.

Paddle to the Arctic: The Incredible Story of a Kayak Quest Across the Roof of the World
Don Starkell
M&S, 2000 - History - 313 pages

After his astounding 12,000-mile canoe trip from Winnipeg down to the Amazon (recounted in his bestseller Paddle to the Amazon on page 48), Don Starkell decided to paddle a kayak from Hudson Bay 3,000 miles through the Northwest Passage. This is Don's diary of this journey from Churchill, Manitoba, to Tuktoyaktuk, close to Alaska, a voyage by kayak (paddled on water or dragged on a sled over the ice) that took him three Arctic summers and almost cost him his life. Through this compelling book we find ourselves sharing his blazing, driving determination to reach his goal, as he closes in on his destination, with his supplies running out and his ocean highway freezing over, making death a near certainty. Armchair travel at its best.

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:32 am

secondtimer wrote:I've been following the posted links and come across this one. Haven't read it myself but it looks promising.

Paddle to the Arctic: The Incredible Story of a Kayak Quest Across the Roof of the World
Don Starkell
I saw a copy in a secondhand bookshop "The Bookshop" just east of Cork (Youghal) yesterday. I didn't buy it. The woman he paddled with also wrote a book "Kahoona in a Yellow Kayak" or something like that (grey and memory slipping?).

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:35 am

"Kabloona in the Yellow Kayak: One Woman's Journey Through the Northwest Passage" by Victoria Jason. Unfortunately she died a few years later due to cancer. She had been due to come to New Zealand to the annual sea kayak forum.

scameron

Post by scameron » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:40 am

"Sticking With It " is well worth a read .

e-wan

Post by e-wan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:54 am

I can definitely recommend
A Thousand Miles in the Rob Roy Canoe on Rivers and Lakes of Europe by MacGregor

The free e-book version available from Project Gutenberg has more illustrations than other electronic copies available on Amazon
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/40238

another good and free read about kayaking it is an inland voyage by Robert Louis Stevenson
also available as a free ebook
https://archive.org/details/inlandvoyage001878stev
and also free from Amazon

not directly canoeing related but I can recommend Island years by Frank Fraser darling. Out of print but available fairly cheaply secondhand & The Brendan Voyage [Kindle Edition]
Tim Severin (Author)
The Brendan voyage is the most amazing nautical journey I have ever read. An account of the voyage in an open leather boot from Ireland to North America via the Arctic recreating What st Brendan was supposed to have achieved

Ewan

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:46 pm

e-wan wrote: An account of the voyage in an open leather boot... Ewan
Wow, that's impressive. If he was the sole person on board, what did he do when it heeled?
Nick ;)
P.S Valerie Fons - "Keep it moving". Truly inspiring account of one woman's courage.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:19 pm

Mac50L wrote:
secondtimer wrote:I've been following the posted links and come across this one. Haven't read it myself but it looks promising.

Don Starkell
I saw a copy in a secondhand bookshop "The Bookshop" just east of Cork (Youghal) yesterday. I didn't buy it. The woman he paddled with also wrote a book "Kahoona in a Yellow Kayak" or something like that (grey and memory slipping?).
It's "Kabloona in the Yellow Kayak: One Woman's Journey Through the Northwest Passage" and yes, a superb read. Not least to get her perspective on her paddling companion. It has to be said that Mr Starkell's achievement was extraordinary - and he appears as an extraordinary person to go on a trip with !

Mike

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:47 pm

nickcrowhurst wrote: Valerie Fons - "Keep it moving". Truly inspiring account of one woman's courage.
She runs a cafe (with a one room kayak museum) and kayak rental on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA and I was talking to her July last year. Her trip from the Arctic to the Antarctic is yet to be written.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:04 pm

Mac50L wrote: I was talking to her July last year
That's good to know. She was receiving treatment for cancer not long back. She's one of my heroines.
Nick.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:18 am

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Crossing ... 1585747300

Excellent - a non-misty-eyed look at people who live in remote places. Includes bestiality.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

usuallycrocked

Post by usuallycrocked » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:58 am

If you're on the west of Scotland, "Hebridean Sharker", by Tex Geddes. Then you'll know why you aren't seeing any basking sharks.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:27 am

"Cove" by Cynan Jones, Granta Books, 2016, ISBN 978-1-84708-881-9
A solo sea kayaker is struck by lightning.
Nick.

john.ruston

Post by john.ruston » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:16 pm

Not kayaks but still some very small boats, some history, some Islands (The Shiants ) and lots of water.
"Sea Room" by Adam Nicholson.
ISBN-13: 978-0061238826, ISBN-10: 0061238821

Murray carp

Post by Murray carp » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:52 pm

"Three men in a raft" and "five months in a leaky boat" by Ben Kozel. It's about 3 20 something blokes with no paddleing experience that paddle the amazon from source to sea and then the Yenesi in Mongolia. Ben is a terrific writer and the books are full of tales of adventure, triumph and near misses.

CharlieS

Post by CharlieS » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:07 pm

I picked up 'The Great Escape: Adventures on the Wild West Coast' by Monty Halls for 50p at the school Christmas fair.
It's not a kayaking book, though one of the key characters is called Kayak Mike. It's about a guy off the telly who spends 6 months doing up a croft just north of Skye. I've found it very funny, and great background to a place I go kayaking.

Charlie

sloegin

Post by sloegin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:41 pm

On a slightly more WW2 historical note some may enjoy Paddy Ashdown's book 'A Brilliant Little Mission: The Cockleshell Heroes'. Its a book on the formation of the SBS and the Cockleshell mission into Bordeaux harbour by Klepper double kayak. For those that are interested I believe Jeff Allan helped recreate the kayak journey recently for the 60th anniversary of the mission (IIRC).
North shore Ocean 17.6

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:10 pm

"How to read water" by Tristan Gooley, published by Sceptre, 2016. A highly detailed aid to understanding the physical clues, signs and patterns to look for in water, whether on the sea, river or in puddles. It's for the lay reader rather than the scientist. Highly readable. ISBN 978-1-473-61520-5
Nick.