I'm brand new to all this..

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
hopnut

I'm brand new to all this..

Post by hopnut » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:54 am

Hi -

Complete novice here... having a go at this for the very first time.

I want to get on the river, and to also mess about in the sea, just off the beach.

I have just joined the forum hoping to get some basic advice from some experts in the field! ...as I know nothing.
I have been reading bits and pieces, but can find little in the way of good solid advice.. just lots of marketing..

I am looking to buy a cheap inflatable kayak.
I seem to have set upon the Intex Explorer K2 for £130, if slightly over my £100 budget :-)

I am also in the market (obviously) for buoyancy aids x2.

I guess my questions are:
1) Is the Intex Explorer any good? Are there better brands / models in the price range?
2) Are these inflatable kayaks really ok for sea use?
3) Buoyancy seems to vary greatly in price. Is there a recommended entry level kayaking BA, on a budget, or is budget buoyancy a waste of money?

I don't want to spend a lot at this stage, as this may just be a passing interest, but also don't want to buy a load of old tat, which will ruin the attempted experience, and put me off..

I am about 180lb and will be using this with my ten year old / thirteen year old sons (in turn), and also my 200lb stone brother in law.

Any advice gratefully received!

Cheers..

Eggy_the_Viking

Re: I'm brand new to all this..

Post by Eggy_the_Viking » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:42 pm

hi,

Welcome to the paddling club :)

From my own experience, join a local canoe/kayak club as it can save you a small fortune and more importantly it's the safest option. I started paddling 3 years ago, after a days white water rafting in Bala, joined my local club - Liverpool Canoe Club (LCC) for a small fee and paid £10 for a 3 night intro course. All I needed to do was wear suitable clothes, as they supplied boats and BAs. That way I wasn't spending a small fortune on a possible passing fad and was safe at all times.

Brought my first second hand boat last December from this very site, after being able to try different boats (white water, sea kayak) for over 2 years, the knowledge gained from that is invaluable, as I at the beginning I was set on getting a Pyanha Fusion and now own an Ammo, which is different beast altogether.

Hope that helps some. Keep well and stay safe,

Eggy

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:07 pm

Others may disagree but I'd echo what's been said above and suggest you stay away from cheap inflatable kayaks. Most clubs will let you hire boats from them for next to nothing once you're a member too

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:08 pm

That is good advice, join a club and use them & thier equipment to see what you enjoy doing the most, and get some good safety advice and experience from them too.

I would not like to use an inflatable on the sea though, I had to call the coastguard a few years ago when I witnessed a double inflatable being blown on rocks in Cornwall, those guys in it were paddling like fury but the wind just blew them all over the place. A Sit on Top would be a much better bet for you.

Learn from a club and you will enjoy it that much more!

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:07 am

Hi & Welcome,
I would echo the advice above & recommend joining a club. If you do buy an inflatable only use it in light onshore winds. There are fairly capable folders, but they are usually more expensive than a hard shell & require more TLC.
Ken

hopnut

Post by hopnut » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:19 am

Thanks for the replies guys.

All good solid advice thanks.
Think I will take it.

Last thing I want to do is take my kids out to sea when I don't know what I'm doing.

Will look into joining local club and see what they offer.

Might just invest in a decent dinghy for the hols instead!

Cheers.

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:13 am

Clubs are even better for kids. My 5yo loves going to the local club sessions