Northlink and Flares^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
orkfay

Northlink and Flares^

Post by orkfay » Thu May 29, 2014 5:31 pm

Anyone travelling to Orkney or Shetland using Northlink:

"Thank you for your email. Since you are travelling with marine flares which are classed as dangerous goods, you will need to declare this through a “Dangerous Goods Declaration Form”. We would require for you to send us your dangerous goods form no less than 24 hours prior to your sailing. You must also carry the original copy of your Dangerous Goods form when you check-in.

All the information you should require including a Dangerous Goods Form which you can download, as well as a guide as to how to fill it out will be in the following link: http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/other ... ous-goods/

If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

Regards

Nathan Omand
Customer Service Assistant"

MikeB

Re: Northlink and Flares

Post by MikeB » Fri May 30, 2014 1:59 pm

And from CalMac, albeit well hidden in the w/site - http://www.calmac.co.uk/journey-informa ... rearms.htm

Robert Craig

Re: Northlink and Flares^

Post by Robert Craig » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:54 am

"What the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over."

orkfay

Post by orkfay » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:05 pm

but NorthLink are now actually questioning any car with kayaks whether they are carrying flares

orkfay

Post by orkfay » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:36 pm

To obey Northlink rules, it is required that you complete a dangerous goods declaration complete with UN numbers.
To save others the hassle the relevant UN numbers are UN0191(red), UN0197 (smoke) and UN0403 (parachute red)
A copy needs to be with Northlink office 24h before sailing and original carried with flares

However kayakers should not feel targeted, Northlink have apparently questioned CO2 cylinders for lifejackets and emergency cycle repairs.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Peter things could be worse. Back in the '70's I have a recollection that the Isle of Man Steam Packet company drained my motor bike petrol tank before letting me on the ferry.

I was the 70's so maybe I dreamed it but it was very real at the time.

Douglas

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:28 pm

Douglas Wilcox wrote:Peter things could be worse. Back in the '70's I have a recollection that the Isle of Man Steam Packet company drained my motor bike petrol tank before letting me on the ferry.

I was the 70's so maybe I dreamed it but it was very real at the time.

Douglas
No - your memory is correct! I was going to go over at some point back in the day and recall being seriously pi55ed off at the thought of having the tank drained.

orkfay

Post by orkfay » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:21 pm

But leaving a teenager about to go on a sailing holiday with life jacket without the CO2 cylinder was not a clever safety strategy!