North Shore Atlantic RM vs. composite^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Tom the Dane

North Shore Atlantic RM vs. composite^

Post by Tom the Dane » Wed May 07, 2014 9:05 pm

Hello Everyone,

I finally got around to it and ordered a North Shore Atlantic HV in PE. I was wondering how much difference there might be between the RM version and the composite version of the Atlantic regarding performance and handling. And is there any diffence in packing volume/loading capacity. Which of the boats has more volume in the bulkheads for tent, sleeping bag etc. ?
I am just being curious as I want to use the boat for day tours, but also for camping trips, say 2 - 4 days. So I do not know if I miss out a lot by choosing the RM version over the composite version. But as I am gonna use it on rivers and coastline with rocks and pebbles, I do not want to worry about a delicate gelcoat!

Sincerely

Tom the Dane

Owen

Re: North Shore Atlantic RM vs. composite

Post by Owen » Wed May 07, 2014 10:05 pm

I have the RM version and many friends paddle the glass boat. I think the plastic is very slightly lower volume but not by much. I have packed mine with food and camping equipment for a week with no problem, I guess it depends on how much kit you deem as essential.

allan09

Post by allan09 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:18 pm

I too have the plastic version. Have done a 5 day trip loaded with tent (2man) food etc. there is plenty of room in it. I pack with 3 thoughts in mind,

I don't want to be cold
I don't want to be hungry
I don't want to run out of alcohol!

so on that basis I do tend to pack a lot.

I have paddled the composite version and it is just an easier paddle in my opinion. It responds to small amounts of edging better and is easier to propel through the water. Mind you I find the same anytime I paddle a composite kayak compared to my plastic one.

Size wise I think they are similar , just basing this on looks.

rhysie

Post by rhysie » Thu May 08, 2014 10:51 am

I have an Atlantic RM, the original version with single skin and a rod that runs down the inside of the keel to strengthen it.
I have had a quick paddle in the composite version and found it very tight especially my thighs and the thigh bracing. The composite definitely feels as though it glides through the water better than the RM. I found the handling about the same although I do find that the more aggressive plastic thigh bracing in the RM gives better contact with the kayak.

From the North Shore website.

COMPOSITE
Front 56L
Cockpit 168L
Day 38L
Rear 59L
Total 321L

RM
Front 45L
Cockpit 200L
Day ----- (27L ?)
Rear 58L
Total 330L

It didn't state the Day hatch volume for the RM but simple maths says 27L.

The composite has an oval Valley rear hatch while the RM has a larger more circular oval hatch which makes it easier to load.
I only use my Atlantic as my day and fun kayak as I also have a Clear Carbon/Kevlar P&H Cetus with skeg and rudder. It also has a Flat Earth Kayak Sail mounted on it, so I tend to use this for overnighters and longer trips.
I have used my Atlantic for a couple of overnighters and it took all my gear easily. It was a bit slower than usual but much more stable.
If you put an under deck bag in and some saddles to tie down a 10L water bladder on the cockpit floor I don't think there would be any difference in gear carrying ability between the RM and the composite versions.

Tom the Dane

Re: North Shore Atlantic RM vs. composite^

Post by Tom the Dane » Mon May 12, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi Owen, Allan 99 and Rhysie,

Thank you very much for your answers and useful information. I am now the happy owner of a red North Shore Atlantic HV RM. I picked it up this Saturday, but I have not had the time yet to test it. I am not sure how much gear I can squeeze into it. It's packing volume seems limited compared to my Prijon Marlin. But the Atlantic is gonna be my dayboat/playboat I think, maybe used for a single overnighter and I will use the Marlin for longer trips. But the Atlantic ist the nicest looking PE boat I have seen for a long time. I cannot wait to test it!

Sincerely

Tom the Dane

rhysie

Post by rhysie » Wed May 14, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi Tom
Congratulations on your new Atlantic. I think you will be very happy with it. Just had a quick look on the North Shore website and can only find the Atlantic RM and the Atlantic LV RM. Do they now make a larger version?
In my book I think that you are right about it being a nice looking boat. The only other plastic kayak with as beautiful lines may be the Nordkapp RM.
I use my Atlantic more than my Cetus because for me it is the rough water/ play boat / rock garden kayak that has really built my skills up. When I first got it, it felt very tippy but now that is the feeling that I enjoy. The Atlantic is a great rolling kayak and I feel confident that it most situations I can roll it back up when things go wrong. That feeling of security that I get from my Atlantic gives me more confidence to go paddling with much better rough water paddlers than myself.

Tom the Dane

Post by Tom the Dane » Thu May 15, 2014 8:13 pm

Hi Rhysie,

No, I think you got confused that I was refering to the Atlantic Composite, which according to North Shores Homepage, has more packing volume the the Atlantic HV RM!
Based on my virgin tour I am total happy with my new boat. I did not find it tippy, but I had no waves at all. I will report back to you when I have experienced a little "wave action". Maybe I will then change my mind. And yes, the Atlantic i a beautiful boat. The Nordy too! A Nordy or composite Atlantic some day!!

Sincerely

Tom the Dane