I've got a week in Pembrokeshire...

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Kayaks'N'Beer

I've got a week in Pembrokeshire...

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer »

Other than the bitches, what do we have to do if we only have a week? We're heading to warmer waters for the annual Hostellers easter week, travelling down next friday and coming back the friday following. Looking for a mixture of carry-on party water and scenic chill out missions, depending on what the weather chucks at us.

Mark R

Re: I've got a week in Pembrokeshire...

Post by Mark R »

Castlemartin Ranges - contender for best cliff scenery in UK.

Skomer, Skokholm and Ramsey - wonderful islands.

Bishops and Clerks - great offshore adventure.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer »

Cheers Mark! We had a look at the Bishops and Clarks but the nav looked like it would require a slide-rule and a solid grasp of quantum mechanics to get down.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

Check out the caves around St Davids Head after visiting Ramsey Island. You might even be lucky to have a surf at Whitesands...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

and pop in to Fishguard and say hello to Mike Mayberry :)
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

stormkayaker

Post by stormkayaker »

Better still call Mike and see what he is doing!

He has all the answers!But he still hasn't worked out how to control the weather ...yet!

Paul.

EssJayEff

Post by EssJayEff »

The Witches Cauldron is pretty special too.

yippie kayak

Post by yippie kayak »

Best thing to do, is to watch all the "Cardigan Bay Sea Kayakers" Films on Youtube, they cover most of Pembrokshire and Ceredigion then pick a location shown. latest film is Ceibwr/Witches Cauldron

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry »

stormkayaker wrote:Better still call Mike and see what he is doing!

He has all the answers!But he still hasn't worked out how to control the weather ...yet!

Paul.
The weather is proving very hard to tame, I'm still nowhere near close.
Kayaks'N'Beer wrote:Cheers Mark! We had a look at the Bishops and Clarks but the nav looked like it would require a slide-rule and a solid grasp of quantum mechanics to get down.
I might be able to show you the way, depending on whether you mean the Easter holiday week or not?

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer »

Week commencing 14th, Mike. PM me if you have space for 3 bodies. I should warn you, we're on a shoestring so don't get your hopes up.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Kayaks'N'Beer wrote:Cheers Mark! We had a look at the Bishops and Clarks but the nav looked like it would require a slide-rule and a solid grasp of quantum mechanics to get down.
Really not a big deal. Launch from Whitesands whilst the tide is flowing south, ferry out for an hour or so to the northernmost rocks, paddle south along them, arrive at South Bishop Lighthouse at slack water. Ride the tide back the way you came, or suchlike.

Given all the tidal activity thereabouts, good weather is certainly needed though.

http://southwestseakayaking.co.uk/2011/ ... nd-clerks/

http://southwestseakayaking.co.uk/2012/ ... ey-island/

http://southwestseakayaking.co.uk/2012/ ... est-wales/

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Kate D

Post by Kate D »

This is what I did with a week in Pembrokeshire.

http://katespaddlingblog.blogspot.co.uk ... le-to.html

Hope you have a great time, it's a fantastic coastline.

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer »

Cheers for all the tips, guys. Totally stoked for this trip - been watching reports and vids of the famous pembrokeshire coast for years now but it's always come down to ... well ... y'know, I've got scotland, just growing outside my front door.

Couple of questions
Mark R wrote:Castlemartin Ranges - contender for best cliff scenery in UK.
Put in at the big beach and, if it's not raining surf, head south?

Also - witches cauldron - keep hearing about it. Is it on the map or can someone hit me up with a grid?

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer »

Okay, so the verdict is - Pembrokeshire delivers! We set off from Glasgow around four PM on Friday, after stopping off to get a nail removed from my front tyre. Well spotted FNG - that could have really crapped on our trip in a big way! The plan was to drive about half way down then camp somewhere for the night but we ended up just driving and driving and pulling into a campsite near milford haven about 02:00.

We woke up bright and early and feeling sort of jetlagged after the long drive. We broke camp, paid for the pitch and headed north looking for a more central place to make basecamp. Next thing I know we turn the corner and some benevolent Welsh deity had laid on some surf for us.

And a campsite, right across the road.

This seemed to have been purposely designed with us in mind. "Welcome to Wales," it said, "You'll like it here, it's a good place!"

It seemed a pretty messy campsite at first, with lots of rubbish lying everywhere but it was a weird kind of mess. More like the little nuggets of plastic and rope you'd find on a remote beach. Seashells, little patches of weird, aquatic moss. Then we remembered the January floods. Sure enough a quick recce of the shower block confirmed our suspicions. This place was under water a couple of months back!

We spent the afternoon on the beach, surfing some messy 4 footers that got real mean and dumpy around high water. No shots of us getting caned but I did nip down later for some beach pics

Sunday, beat up and still feeling a bit woozy from the last couple of days, we opted for a chilled out bimble (somewhere) Regret to inform, I can't even remember where the hell we went but someone more local will probably recognise it. Was gorgeous wherever it was, and we sauntered a couple of K up the coast and back, in time honoured - take-it-easy - mode.

Monday we decided on a lap of Ramsay Island, launching Whitesands and catching the last dregs of the tide, past the bitches and around the island.

We saw a million (approx) puffins, a bunch of seals, some other kinds of birds and some of the most awesome cliffs and caves and arches. The level of exposure down here, compared to my usual stomping ground makes for some epic big and towering geography. And the weather was the icing on the cake. The whole time there was a constant, mega long period swell, sneaking in and making some neat little water features from the battered rocks.

Tuesday, with the forecast wind coming in a bit earlier than anticipated, we figured this was our best shot at Skohlm and Skomer. After FNG took a swim in the tiderace, coming back from Ramsay the day before, we ruled out the Bishops and Clerks mission, figuring it would be rougher out there and neither myself or Neil fancied towing the inevitable raft all the way back to shore.

So we headed for Martins haven, with the plan to run the last hour of the tide down to Skokholm and then punting out round Skomer and back. On arrival, Jack Sound was still looking pretty busy

We paddled round for a look but it was obvious we were risking another FNG-Swim scenario. Swims are fine on the way back but they can be a pretty crappy way to start the day so we opted to head back to Martins haven, chill out on the beach for an hour or so then cross over to Skomer and go round that. Jack Sound would be starting to pick up on the way back but, like I said - swims are fine if it's the return leg.

Skomer was, if anything, even more awesome than Ramsay. Although, truth be told, it's too close to call.

Crossing Jack Sound it was indeed beginning to pick up but we made it over without incident, sending FNG out, round the back of the race, while Neil and I kept a high line, ready to shoot down the rapids, if required.

Wednesday we opted for Witches Cauldron. The tides were against us all week with some ridiculous slack water times. We opted for a short little day, putting in at Ceibwr Bay and nipping down for a wee look. Sure enough, about a k down the coast, Neil headed into a cave and never came back. We'd found it!

We got out for a look about and so we could say we'd stood on the beach and we could hear a waterfall. The inevitable dumb touristy photo opportunity presented itself and I'm proud to say we siezed it with gusto.

So then it was Thursday. What to do, what to do? There was something we'd forgotten but what was it? Oh, yeah - Ramsay Sound. On a spring tide. Line of rocks in the middle. Again the tides hated us. Up and on the road to Whitesands at frankly outrageous o-clock in the morning. Launching just as the sun was coming up in an appropriately ominous looking leaden sky. We only missed slack water by half an hour or so (not bad considering exactly when I'd started muttering swear words at my alarm) we grunted across the sound and into the eddy next to the playspot. Unfortunately our day was cut short when Neil tore the nose off his Nordkapp, surfing a warm up chute, so we never got to see full-tilt. Not too disappointed, tho, since half-tilt was an absolute barrel of laughs.

I never got any photos but, whaddya know - I'd saved my Gopro battery all week, just in case we ended up in exactly this situation.

So, yeah, Pembrokeshire. Lots of love from your newest three fans!

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry »

Glad you enjoyed your time in God's County!

The beach you've forgotten the name of is Aberieddy, it looks like you turned right from there towards Porthgain?

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer »

That sounds about right, Mike. We went past Porthgain then about the same again. On the way back I made the mistake of running a little river into the big lagoon/quarry thingybob and then almost gave myself an embolism, paddling back out.

Amazing part of the country and warm, too!

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry »

Past Porthgain about the same again would almost be to Abercastle. Definitely a nice area.

The Blue Lagoon was a venue on the Red Bull Cliff Diving World Tour for the past 2 years. They're not here this year but might be back next. Apparently it's the only venue they have used in two consecutive years. It's much easier to paddle into at high water; but then the seal launches are lower!

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper »

Definitely a time for carrying a reel of Gaffer tape in the boat so that you could do an instant repair at sea to stop water getting into the front compartment of your mate's Nordy!!

Rog.

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer »

rockhopper wrote:Definitely a time for carrying a reel of Gaffer tape in the boat so that you could do an instant repair at sea to stop water getting into the front compartment of your mate's Nordy!!

Rog.
We usually have at least 1 between us but whaddya know - the one time we need one, they're in the car. We ended up stuffing the front hatch with all the drybags and paddle floats but, to be honest, getting back was flat calm(ish) so it wouldn't have filled anyway. Surfing a standing wave however, would probably have had cleopatra's needle going on pretty quickly, with or without duck tape.

In our defense - we had remember the first aid and hypothermia kits.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper »

In our defense - we had remember the first aid and hypothermia kits.
would have looked very funny with 26 first aid plasters stuck over it's nose.... well worth a photo!

Rog.