Space for 2 man tent in lv boat

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Grian

Space for 2 man tent in lv boat

Post by Grian »

Can anyone advise, I need to replace my tent and was thinking about getting a 2-person model just for the luxury of so much space, probably a Vango somethingorother, however I don't know how well this would fit… I have a Tiderace xplore S.

ruralweb

Re: Space for 2 man tent in lv boat

Post by ruralweb »

If its all you are putting in then most tents should fit ok - however if you have other kit it all depends how much room you have left once its all loaded or can you ditch kit to take a bigger tent. VERY difficult question to answer on a forum - its hard enough when you have the boat and kit in front of you.
Mal

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Well, Murty Campbell gets a 2 man Vango something into his original Nordkapp - which cant be much bigger than your T/race.

MartinG

Post by MartinG »

I can fit a three man Vango Tempest in my Aquanaut LV. Goes in the back hatch fairly ok, bit of wiggling about to get it in. Still a bit of room for other stuff around it too. It's nice to have a larger tent, makes sorting stuff out so much easier when it's raining.

Grian

Post by Grian »

Oh wow, well done MartinG! And you still fit other stuff. That settles it… ebay here I come.

I actually feel way less claustrophobic / like axe murderers are sneaking up in a bivvy bag than a tent! I need one with windows, liking the look of the vango with entrances either side that can be rolled up to see out better.

AHPP

Post by AHPP »

You don't have to pack a tent in the bag it came in. You don't have to pack a tent in one bag.

Grian

Post by Grian »

I see what your saying AHPP...

andyE

Post by andyE »

A did the same thing last year, a one man straight jacket, for a two man tent. I Changed a Terra Nova Lazar light & footprint for a Superlite Voyager and footprint. A lot more room to organise kit and and will fit in same 5lt exped dry bag I used for the Lazar light. Not the cheapest of tents but ticks all the boxes for me.

Grian

Post by Grian »

Terra nova seem very well regarded.

Just discovering how many million variations of 2 man tent Vango make… any advice hugely welcome!

There is this one, with 2 side doors… http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Banshee ... 5457138%26 which looks just like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Zenith- ... 0426&rt=nc more expensive one...

and this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Tempest ... 4ad0a2d552

and on and on…!

and this

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

Stear clear of Hilleberg tents - I just bought a two man for £850 and the bathtub floor leaks. Hillebergs responce was we can send some seam sealant so you can see if that fixes it!

My responce - back to the shop and got my money back.

I use a North Face Big Fat Frog - no windows but big porch
Mal

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

If you go to Go Outdoors they have most of the Vango tents set up in a display area outside so you can have a play
Mal

Grian

Post by Grian »

I wonder if they'd let me put one in the kayak…

Bummer about your Hilleberg, thats crap 'customer service', at that price I'd want the replacement chauffeur driven to my camp site!

Jim

Post by Jim »

The poles are the limit. If you pack the pole bag separately, how long a bundle of poles can you get through the hatch at an angle. They will probably need to be the first items packed. Work it out with a broom stick or something, and then measure up tent bags until you find one that fits - you can even squeeze the bags to see if the pole bag is full length.

I have paddled my Sea King with 17cm hatches for several years with a spirit 200+. There were no LV designs when the Sea King was designed but it doesn't have that much room and the small hatches make it difficult to get long poles in, but by putting them in separately first I have never had any trouble.

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

Certainly the Go Outdoors at Penrith would let you take your kayak and see if the tent would fit - so I recon the other shops would as well. Give them a call.

Yep Hilleberg didnt even bother to reply to my further emails on the subject nor did they reply to my post on thier facebook page.

While in the shop we checked other models of Hilleberg tents and they all had the same problem - tested by pouring water into the inside bathtub floor and watching it pour out of the corner stitching - I was shocked that such a high end tent could have a major problem. We looked at several other makes eg MSR & Vango and they all had fully taped seams and were air tight never mind water tight. I often wondered why there was always so many Hilleberg tents on ebay - doing a search I found others who had similar problems and Hillebergs responce was the same.

I must say that the store The Climbers Shop in Ambelside where 100% about it and refunded my money with no problem at all. They have a few MSR tents which might suit you.
Mal

gnarlydog

Post by gnarlydog »

Stear clear of Hilleberg tents - I just bought a two man for £850 and the bathtub floor leaks.
I see Hilleberg tents as the very best shelters for exposed areas where wind is a problem.
The siliconized fabric of Hilleberg is what sets them apart from the other PU coated nylons that I have to replace every 5 years once the coating fails. But like all high end ultralight gear it does have limitation.
The siliconized fabric is very hard to seam seal with tape and usually the tape peels off after a while.
If I use silicon seam sealer I can perfectly seal any seam on a silicon fabric. Some find hand seam sealing tedious but I prefer a tent that is by far lighter and stronger than most. What stops me from getting a larger Hilleberg tent ( I would love a 3 person) is the price! Too bad no listings for used Hillebergs on eBay in Australia :-(
If I compare the floor of the Hilleberg to a 2 KG heavier tent (same size) it does seem much lighter and more prone to puncture.
I am yet to find a tent that will not leak in the floor, regardless of manufacture or money I paid.
Patching the floor is something that I regard as part of a tent set up.
Of course if use the tent on grass and sand only that does not happen...

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

I also regarded Hilleberg as the top manufacturer which is why I was prepared to spend £850 and never even considered the possibility that it would be IMO of such poor quality. I never even pitched it outside - I had it up in the house and while looking around I saw light coming through the stitching in the corners of the floor. When I looked. Closely I could see that the seam went all the way to ground level and when I poured water in it immediately came through.

I've been camping for 40 years and had several tents and never had a leaking floor, even in my 30 year old VE25 the floor is still good. The hilliberg footprint which alone cost £85 was not sealed either and had stitch hole that let water through. But what really got me mad was Hillebergs attitude to my questions and ignoring my emails - for what I've seen on other forums they clearly know the stitching leaks.

Now I do know that siliconised flys are not taped sealed and I'm happy with that, high altitude tent such as my new VE25 do come with sealant for the seams on the fly if you want to use it but never ever have I seen a tent bathtub floor with unsealed stitching which the manufactuer knows leaks.

Rant over - I've got my money back so now to spend it on a Taran perhaps!!

Back on the subject of tents I've also got a Vango micro 200 which cost £60 and is fantastic, it's 14 years old and still going strong. One of my paddle mates uses it when we go away only because it's a little short for me otherwise I would be using it - seam sealed floor with no leaks! It looks like the blade is the updated version of it which looks quite good.
Mal

gnarlydog

Post by gnarlydog »

I've been camping for 40 years and had several tents and never had a leaking floor
you must be very very careful where you pitch your tent, camp only in dry weather or be one blessed camper :-)
I wish my coated material (PU) tents would last me more than 6-7 years, no matter what brand, before the coating becomes sticky and leaks.
Just this year I binned 4 tents (they were all about 7-8 years old and have been leaking for a while) while Hilleberg and Black Diamond Megalight are the only ones that show no signs of deterioration, incidentally both siliconized fabric.
I understand that I live in a hot humid climate that is known to kill PU coating....
Greg Stamer (world class paddler from Florida) seems to have the same problem as I have

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston »

Hi Grian,

I use a Terra Nova Voyager as my "go to" tent when backpacking and paddling. A bit heavier than some of the very light tents
around, but I'm very happy to trade the extra kilo for reliability, strength and comfort.

The best way I've found to pack the tent is to take the flysheet and poles out of the bag and pack the three components (poles, fly and inner/pegs) in the stern hatch, either side of the skeg box. Rolling the fly and inner into long, narrow shape helps, but the whole tent fits very snugly back there. The boat is an Xcite with round hatches, so it will be similar to your boat.

I have actually fitted a Quasar into the boat that way, which was a bit of a squeeze but it still fitted.

Kind regards

Ian

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

I camp in all weathers - a few weeks ago I was On Loch Lomond for 5 days with water logged ground, Ullswater in December in F8 and heavy rain & 1 inch on water under the tent, Loch Shiel in November with heavy rain for three days and round Bute last feb in rain and sub zero temps. I camp about 30 days a year and the worse the weather the better!

My old VE25 has seen hundreds of nights out in all weather conditions and the only issue I had is a bent pole and a slight tear in the fly both of which were repaired under warranty. My current main tent Big Fat Frog has seen 40 ish nights with about 10 of those in rain - this tent I've been using a footprint with and that I would recommend to be used with a tent as it protects the floor, adds insulation, keeps out ground water and reduces condensation so well worth the effort.

I would say to anyone who has a floor leak - do not accept it as normal and take the tent back - the last thing you want is to be lying in the dark and rain thinking you are going to get wet.

I've been to Go Outdoors looking at the tents pitched out all year and have been impressed by the vango tents - even when the display area was sodden the floors in all the tents were dry. I also carry a vango ground sheet for my porch and again it's totally waterproof - cost £8!
Mal

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

I pack my poles and pegs in separate bag and store them in the back hatch along side the Skeg box, the inner and fly I store in separate dry bags in the front hatch.

Many tents come with quite thick guy lines which take up quite a bit of space and absorb water when wet so if you can afford it you could replace them with thin dynema lines which will help packing. Also consider taking a few sand pegs if you intend camping by the shore as the ground is always loose and small pegs have trouble holding.

Consider a geodesic free standing tent which is easier to pitch on loose ground - the Hilleberg I had I picked because it did not need any pegs at all to pitch which was my idea tent design. Also think about porch size as tents are designed for people with less kit than us paddlers and no dry suit to set out of at the end of the day.
Mal

Grian

Post by Grian »

Thanks for suggestions on tents and packing, the broomstick idea is very sensible, I'll do that. I expect the Xcite is almost identical to the Xplore so I will try packing that way, and poles in first.

So long as there is room for the bear essentials… :D

For £850 I would want seams hand-sealed by organic virgins using extract of unicorn horn. But regardless of the problem, how it is dealt with is what makes the difference. Poor retailers who are stuck with the leaky gear, they probably don't have much luck with the company either!

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

Has anyone ever seen a long thin dry bag suitable for tent poles - I'd like to keep them as dry as possible and away from salt water
Mal

Jim

Post by Jim »

Can you get inorganic virgins?

Grian

Post by Grian »

Can you get inorganic virgins?
Yes indeed… Organic virgins consume only Soil Association (or international equivalent) accredited food and drink and wear a minimum of 70% organic fibres. They remain .5km from the nearest non-organically accredited farmland and must observe these conditions for 3 years prior to commencing seam-sealing. Its very stringent actually...

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

They would never get a job with Hilleberg!
Mal

Jim

Post by Jim »

But surely to be alive a thing must be organic?

e-wan

Post by e-wan »

the footprint of a vango force4 is very waterproof. I've had a couple of inches of water all around the tent and stayed dry inside. but they are a little heave/large and it might be hard to get the poles through a hatch.

Ewan

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I echo the "pack the bits separately" comment - although I'll add that it's worth considering the weight distribuition as I found my Xcape X to dislike being stern heavy. I use a big Vaude, which goes crossways in the front hatch, right back against the bulkhead. Poles, in a dry bag, go underneath, in the V of the hull, with pegs beside them and the footprint as well.

I too am searching for a suitable long, thin, dry bag but without success. I just use a 15 ltr bag and wrap the excess round the pole set. I certainly recommend the poles being in a bag!

Very interested in the comments regarding Hilleberg - certainly not what I'd expected to hear about this premium brand. Perhaps things are slipping - several friends have them and think they are fantastic.

Mike.

e-wan

Post by e-wan »

Lomo do a very long drybag. Originally designed to keep your rifle dry on deck for shooting poler bears if in danger of atack

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

e-wan wrote:Lomo do a very long drybag. Originally designed to keep your rifle dry on deck for shooting poler bears if in danger of atack
Looked at that - way too big for a pole set though.