Feedback from sea kayak survey

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Grian

Feedback from sea kayak survey

Post by Grian »

At very long last…! Apologies for incredibly slow feedback, and thank you again to those who participated - you probably don't even remember completing a survey last year!

The reasons for delay are two-fold, firstly I immediately began a PhD and my time is totally devoted to panicking and staring at my blank screen blankly... and secondly the dissertation apparently has the potential for one or two published papers, and so I need to [write and] submit those before I share the findings in their entirety, along with those of in-depth interviews. However, I thought I'd post the survey responses in one thread as I revisit them question at a time, and you can share the 'blood out of a stone' experience, and it might allow for comment or discussion when we come to interesting topics.

Moderator if you would rather I post them eventually in one document please let me know!

There were 124 completed responses, but not all respondents answered all questions, some were omitted intentionally due to filters, others may have been accidentally missed, so I will indicate the number of respondents alongside each table, chart or graph.

So to begin with… the first question was one of several trying to elicit an understanding of why we kayak, and what elements are important to us.

Grian

Re: Feedback from sea kayak survey

Post by Grian »

The second question asked respondents to rate the importance of a number of different elements of their sea kayaking experience, on a scale from very important to very unimportant. I have amalgamated the important and very important responses in the following table.

It was interesting how these related to findings in existing literature… but more importantly, do they resonate with you?

Grian

Post by Grian »

There are about fifty more questions, including what we do with our poo! Watch this space :)

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Excellent!

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox »

Thank you Grian and I wish you success with your PhD studies.

Douglas

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston »

Hi Grian,

Thank you for starting to put the feedback up here -I think there at least a couple of papers which could be written from your findings! Have you considered (once your academic work is complete) summarising some of the findings in an article or similar?

Look forward to following this thread and seeing more of your results

Kind regards

Ian

Grian

Post by Grian »

The third question explored broad patterns of use, particularly in relation to a popular 'honeypot' location, and asked respondents to indicate where they had paddled in 2012.

Its interesting to relate this to the country of residence of the 88 UK-based respondents who completed the question regarding their country of residence during 2012.

Grian

Post by Grian »

If the respondents were representative, then almost half of nights away from home on kayaking trips are spent wild camping - how well does this reflect your accommodation on trips away?

Grian

Post by Grian »

If anyone is colour blind, or finds the presentation of this data otherwise offensive I will change the format!

Do the results surprise you, and do you agree or disagree with the majority?

Jim

Post by Jim »

It surprises me that although a minority overall, so many of us perceive a lasting impact on the environment.
Of course taken alone we don't know whether they perceive the impact as positive or negative, or even neutral?

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Jim wrote:It surprises me that although a minority overall, so many of us perceive a lasting impact on the environment.
Of course taken alone we don't know whether they perceive the impact as positive or negative, or even neutral?
Fire pits - -

Grian

Post by Grian »

Good point Jim. The question had the preamble below, and face-to-face testing at the pilot stage as well as comments received with the survey responses suggest it was understood as relating to negative impacts, but it would have been simple to just add the word 'negative' in the choice statements to make it clear!

These questions relate to opinions regarding the sustainability of sea kayaking. For the purposes of the study ‘environmental impact’ concerns the local impact on wildlife or the physical resource, such as camping sites etc, rather than the wider impact of travel to the location or production of associated equipment.

Jim

Post by Jim »

MikeB wrote:
Jim wrote:It surprises me that although a minority overall, so many of us perceive a lasting impact on the environment.
Fire pits - -
Of course. I see very few but I guess depending on your experience that would shade your view.

It is however a matter of education, if all sea kayakers learned how to practice low impact camping (covering fires and waste of all types) is there any other reason it can have a LASTING negative impact on the environment? After all, camping is an important part of kayaking for many of us but it is not intrinsic to it and doesn't feature at all for others....

Grian

Post by Grian »

Participants were invited to choose all of the options they felt appropriate.

Grian

Post by Grian »

Fifty-three percent of the sixty-six participants who answered the relevant question had encountered fire rings in wild camping areas that they accessed by sea kayak during 2012 (it was highlighted that these need not have been caused by sea kayakers).

Grian

Post by Grian »

The percentage of sea kayakers who camped as part of a camping trip within a three year period would suggest camping is an integral part of the experience - would you agree?

Grian

Post by Grian »

Several questions were asked to better understand the experience participants sought when making a sea kayaking trip.

Of the 78 respondents who chose from the categories reading choice of campsite, the majority (64%) preferred to wild camp.

MartinW

Post by MartinW »

Some interesting reading. Thank you for your work on this and for sharing the results in such a clear manner.

Martin
Rockpool Alaw Bach

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

MartinW wrote:Some interesting reading. Thank you for your work on this and for sharing the results in such a clear manner.

Martin
Yes - x 2 - it's great when the person who asked "us" to contribute to their work comes back with the results. Interesting reading. Mike

Jim

Post by Jim »

Grian wrote:Fifty-three percent of the sixty-six participants who answered the relevant question had encountered fire rings in wild camping areas that they accessed by sea kayak during 2012 (it was highlighted that these need not have been caused by sea kayakers).
That certainly explains the impact perception.

Wow!

Grian

Post by Grian »

That certainly explains the impact perception.
And some respondents listed multiple locations where they had encountered them. Are polls possible on the forum, would it be interesting?

Jim

Post by Jim »

Grian wrote:The percentage of sea kayakers who camped as part of a camping trip within a three year period would suggest camping is an integral part of the experience - would you agree?

Not entirely.

I love camping whilst sea kayaking and prior to about 5 years ago I would estmate that almost all my sea kayaking was done on week long trips. Since then I have started day tripping a lot more, last year we had to cancel our week trip (managed a weekend or 2) and for a couple of years before the weather was so bad we ended up with fixed car-camps and only doing day trips from them.

At the moment most of my sea kayaking trips do not involve camping, nor do the trips of most of the people I paddle with. I even know a few people who enjoy sea kayaking but have never camped on a sea kayak trip.

A lot of sea kayakers I know would truthfully answer that they had camped on a sea kayak trip within the last 3 years, but if asked a different question it might have been revealed that camping accounted for 2 or 3 trips in 3 years out of perhaps 100 trips undertaken in the same time.

So I will agree that camping is something many sea kayakers like to do, but I don't think the stats prove it is an integral part of sea kayaking - I would hesistate to use my ideas of what my friends do as a sample to prove otherwise (they might do lots of camping trips that I'm not invited on :-) ) and I know we do all like camping trips. I think if you asked people about the total breakdown of their trips, they actually wouldn't even know and would probably answer based on what they feel they would like to do more, er, which may well indicate that camping is integral!

I'll be quiet now :-)

Whether it is integral or not is not that important - the stats show that 88% of kayakers are using their boats for camping trips and that I think is good to know!
Now when people ask why big 'expedition' style boats are prominent in the market place, we know that it's because 88% of sea kayakers have made use of all that volume to carry camping kit!

Definitely interesting, thanks for sharing!

Grian

Post by Grian »

Please don't be quiet, I hoped the findings might generate some discussion!

A similar figure of 85% of respondents had camped in 2012. It's interesting to consider that the majority of the nights under canvas in 2012 (figure 1) were undertaken by people camping for 10 days or fewer (figure 2).

Figure 1.

Figure 2

Grian

Post by Grian »

Have you ever moved on in order to find a less populated campsite?

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Grian wrote:Have you ever moved on in order to find a less populated campsite?
Yes indeed - and on one occasion wished another group had done so! Most of the interactions where I / we've ended up on a site with others have been very positive and we've enjoyed good craic - but I've had one instance where we were already in camp, another group arrived, pitched "amongst" us as space was quite limited, and then ignored all our attempts to be friendly and join our campfire etc. I can only assume they deeply resented us being where they had intended to camp. Very strange indeed.

Mike.

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig »

[quote="Grian"]Have you ever moved on in order to find a less populated campsite?

Yes, but probably only one time in 50 or so. I tend to be out-of season and in obscure places.

I keep a score comparing otters seen with kayaks seen. Away from the Clyde, I usually see more otters than kayaks.

It worries me that, careful though we are, we disturb a lot of shoreline wildlife, just by paddling along the shore. Offshore, I'm happy that the impact is negligible - but the shoreline is the fun place to be, 'cos there's more to see.

frontsurferboy

Post by frontsurferboy »

I wonder if the biggest environmental impact is the drive to the sea...

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Not to mention all that plastic, f/glass, nylon and such like ---

Grian

Post by Grian »

Respondents were asked to indicate the extent to which they agreed or disagreed with a number of statements about wild camping and group size.

Grian

Post by Grian »

Continued.