Shrike, a lightweight sea kayak for home construction.^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
nickcrowhurst

Re: Shrike, a lightweight sea kayak for home construction.^

Post by nickcrowhurst » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:37 pm

Photobucket, without warning, withdrew the facility to host photos on websites unless payment was made. Effectively this is a ransom, as it applies retrospectively to millions of customers. It was hundreds of dollars a year. Fortunately, you can see all the photos by browsing back through our Facebook pages at https://www.facebook.com/CNCKayaks
It's not ideal.
There are several Shrikes in Canada. and three businesses there are offering kits or completed kayaks. 6,500 copies of the Shrike plans have been downloaded worldwide.
Best wishes, from Nick

PlymouthDamo

Re: A Shrike-R built by Maligiaq Padilla

Post by PlymouthDamo » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:11 am

nickcrowhurst wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:39 pm
A Shrike-R, with lowered gunwales for easy rolling, and with the ocean cockpit option, has just been completed by Maligiaq Padilla, the Greenlandic Champion roller for several years:
http://cnckayaks.com/2017/10/05/maligiaq-padilla-usa/
Nick.
Nick, as a fellow Shrike-R paddler, I'm happy to help Maligiaq out with any rolling tips I can offer. I'm currently working on a new one I called the 'Grand Slam.' It's quite the crowd-pleaser: if you get it right you end up swimming with all your cockpit contents and paddle floating downstream of you in a pleasing arrow formation.

nickcrowhurst

Re: A Shrike-R built by Maligiaq Padilla

Post by nickcrowhurst » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:19 pm

PlymouthDamo wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:11 am
you end up swimming with all your cockpit contents and paddle floating downstream of you in a pleasing arrow formation.
That brings to mind a trip down the (very wide) Potomac in a heavily laden open canoe, heading for an island where Christopher and I intended to climb some cliffs. The canoe filled with water in a rapid, and we sank in a couple of feet of white water while many of our possessions disappeared downstream. As we sat upright on the river bed, only our heads were above the rushing water, we were struck by the comedy of our situation. This hilarity was even shared later by the airport security staff who initially suggested my blurred and wrinkled passport must have gone through a washing machine.
Nick.

nickcrowhurst

Apologies for the diversion......

Post by nickcrowhurst » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:32 am

Back on topic: Vember Expedition at a lunch stop on Sand Island, Apostles, Lake Superior. USA

Nick.

Sheepskin

Post by Sheepskin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:48 pm

Where would I find maximum foot size for these

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:56 pm

You can increase the height of the foot bulkhead, and/or increase the freeboard of the hull. If you download the full-size free plans you can stand on the foot bulkhead drawing and see what increases, if any, are required.
PlymouthDamo, on this forum, has generous feet, and he paddles a couple of Shrikes (not at the same time) that he has built . He has been known to go on skiing holidays without needing skis. He claims size 12, but I suspect he is being modest. You could PM him, although I expect he'll pop up here soon.
Nick.

Sheepskin

Post by Sheepskin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:21 pm

Cheers for the info

nickcrowhurst

Autumn Newsletter from CNC kayaks

Post by nickcrowhurst » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:04 pm

The latest developments in the Shrike and Vember families are in our Autumn Newsletter here:
http://u4h0.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/1ewr4uu4q3f.html
Nick

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:36 am

Just discovered your stitch 'n glue Shrike design and wanted to say thanks for making this available. I've been wondering about a cheap way to get into sea kayaking and this could be the perfect option. A design based on an traditional Greenland kayak is much more interesting than the 2nd-hand plastic "beginners" boats you're sometimes pointed towards. I'm sure you'd learn a lot more too.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:26 am

McGruff, you're very welcome. Building your own kayak is very satisfying, especially as you can tailor the dimensions of the craft to your own requirements. I see you're in Scotland. On this forum, Spikeedog, who lives near Aberdeen, is well advanced in building a Shrike. You might like to PM him to discuss his experiences and where he gets his materials:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=127399&p=800434&hi ... og#p800434
In addition, you can PM me for advice once you've read the Build Manual and website FAQs.

On a broader note, the type of cruising you are considering has been carried out many times in older glass fibre sea kayaks like the Nordkapp HS. If building a Shrike would be mainly motivated by economy, then for £500 you could pick up one of these classic craft.

In response to your other thread about rough water capabilities of sea kayaks, my sea kayaking has felt more committing than my rock-climbing. In climbing there is usually the option to back off, abseil off, lower off a wire, or deliberately jump off and trust the last runner. Occasionally I've been totally committed, but usually after a decision to become totally committed. In sea kayaking it's the unexpected that gets you, like the breaking wake of a distant warship creeping up astern on a placid day in shallow rocky water. Solo sea kayaking requires humility in the face of Nature's power, and the patience to sit in your tent until conditions are commensurate with your skills and experience.
Nick.

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:25 pm

The Shrike might not be the boat I'd need for an extended trip (limited storage capacity?) and I must admit I'm intrigued by the newer ski-influenced designs HOWEVER I'd still love to get to know a more traditional, hard-chined Greenland-style hull. This looks like an important reference point in kayak design which would help me judge any other boats I might try out in the future.

DIY would also let me experiment with some custom options. Maybe a convertible ocean/keyhole cockpit so I can figure out which I like best. I could build the boat in sections to help with transport & storage.

I like making things, when I can. If you go out to buy something, you come back exactly the same person. If you make the thing yourself, you'll be challenged to learn. You'll never be the same again.

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:56 pm

The storage capacity for expeditions is whatever you want it to be - you build the deck as high as you want. I built my first Shrike using the standard dimensions given in Nick's manual and it's pretty roomy - worth checking out before you either opt for a different boat or build a very tall Shrike, thereby increasing the windage. I've also recently managed to install a large recessed oval cockpit into the front of my first Shrike, which allows better access to the available storage.

I recently converted my first Shrike into a 3-piece sectional boat. As you say, it helps with storage and transport: such a boat will take up a metre square of floor space in your hallway, and mine fits inside my hatchback. It wasn't particularly difficult to do, and would have been a doddle if I'd built it that way from scratch. Let me know if you want instructions.

Ocean cockpits are great. My most recent build has one, and now I wish I'd built all three with them. The contact between you and the boat is superb.
Counter-intuitively, I find it easier to get in and out and to self-rescue than in a keyhole cockpit. I think you may struggle trying to convert a boat from one to the other though: you'd have to swap out most of the front deck to get the required curves/angles.

Like you, I'd never owned a sea kayak before building my Shrike. The only real problem I found was back-pain from having my legs out straighter than in my river boats, but that was solved by hamstring-stretches. I had absolutely no difficulty getting used to the wobbly nature of hard chines, and went on to build a far-wobblier rolling version as it's more fun to chuck around.

nickcrowhurst

From Romania, a 3-part polystyrene Shrike

Post by nickcrowhurst » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:42 pm

Constructed in closed-cell 10 mm thick polystyrene. (Not the stuff that falls to pieces and gets riddled with static) Details and more photos here: http://cnckayaks.com/2017/12/14/alec-na ... m-romania/

Nick

TheEcho

Post by TheEcho » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:14 pm

Very interesting!

I wonder if PVC foam board was used instead of the polystyrene, would it be strong enough to not require fibreglassing as well? If so it would certainly be the lightest Shrike on the block, although the material is more expensive than ply.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am

Unfortunately, one bulk supplier of PVC foam board gives a price of £126 for a standard 2440 x 1220 mm sheet, as opposed to £41 for top quality 3 mm marine plywood. It would be a useful experiment to try smaller pieces for bulkheads, glassed on both sides:
https://www.simplyplastics.com/catalog/ ... RWEALw_wcB

My ideal would be a recycled material at minimum or zero cost. My thought experiments revolve around newspaper and cardboard (perhaps corrugated), but these would absorb much heavy and expensive resin. So far, Alec's polystyrene is, IMHO, the best lightweight and inexpensive non-plywood solution when bulkheads are required for safety and storage.
I regularly get queries from residents of countries where good quality 3 mm marine plywood is unavailable, and polystyrene might fill that void. On Monday this week, for example, I received such a comment from a builder in Reunion Island, off Madagascar.
Nick.

nickcrowhurst

Why we turn on the top of a wave....

Post by nickcrowhurst » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:36 pm

This post is to celebrate that the forum now has the facility to upload photos, independently of outside companies such as Photobucket, which demanded a ransom of $400 (U.S) a year to release previous photos. My thanks to Mark Gawler. I'll gradually repeat my deleted photos for the possible benefit of any newcomers to this thread. Any of us who wish to help defray the expenses of the forum can donate here: viewforum.php?f=12
Nick.

nickcrowhurst

A Vember begins in France

Post by nickcrowhurst » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:21 pm

PasImage

Pascal, somewhere in France, has begun to set out the forms for his CNC Vember sea kayak.

nickcrowhurst

Pascal's progress

Post by nickcrowhurst » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:04 am

nickcrowhurst

Pascal proceeds

Post by nickcrowhurst » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:03 pm

nickcrowhurst

Encore!

Post by nickcrowhurst » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:08 pm

nickcrowhurst

All the photo are back.

Post by nickcrowhurst » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:52 pm

I've now re-constructed this thread with all the original photos.
Nick

PlymouthDamo

Ugly Shrikes are good too...

Post by PlymouthDamo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:35 pm

As Nick's reposting all the photos in this thread, now's my chance to write about the last of my three Crowhurst boats - a Shrike-R, as designed by Nick's son Christopher. In order to squeeze a lanky bloke into an extremely low-volume boat, mine ended up with a freakish deck, so I didn't bother writing about it on this thread when I launched it a year ago. But over the year, it's become far-and-away my favourite boat: cheatingly-easy to roll and the tricks you learn easily transfer onto other boats. And it turns out that it's good for more than just rolling: it only weighs 11kg, shrugs off strong winds without the need of a skeg and seems to enjoy big seas and surf. Even though it looks like it's sinking at the best of times, it paddles surprisingly well with a fully flooded cockpit. It took me less than a month, working evenings/weekends, and £300 worth of materials to build it - I don't think I could have bought a boat that so exactly met my needs.

I didn't want to upset Nick and Christopher with any close up photos showing the freakish deck, so here's a video of a Plymouth scene with the boat doing what it does best, shot from a safe distance:

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:35 pm

In a basement in Minnesota today we applied the glass cloth to a Vember.

Remigius

Post by Remigius » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:11 am

It's an amazing project! It looks great and it seems like handling is great too! I am located in sunny Malta and I'm seriously considering building one in spare time. Keep on doing great job guys!

nickcrowhurst

Another one in Malta?

Post by nickcrowhurst » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Remigius, that's very kind, thank you. There is already one beautiful example of a Shrike built in Malta by Catalin Pogaci. Photo and details in our Gallery here:
http://cnckayaks.com/2017/03/06/catalin ... rom-malta/
If you would like to contact Catalin I will speak to him to get his permission to send you contact details. You can PM me via this forum.(Contact tab just under my avatar photo)
Please let us know if you decide to build - and we love photos :)
With best wishes, from Nick.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:57 pm

Here I'm removing any excess epoxy resin from the glass fibre cloth on the hull of a Vember for my daughter-in law, here in Minnesota. A warm basement is a grand place to hide when it's 42 degrees F below freezing outside.

Nick.

Spikeedog

Post by Spikeedog » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:36 pm

Transport Minister for Scotland announced that no-one should go to work this afternoon (heavy snow) but I've always been a rebel. Decks fitted and trimmed - just the coaming and finishing coats to do on a 95% Shrike Too. Check out my recessed deck fittings :-) Spring launch I think...

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:10 pm

Spike, she looks great. Good work. I'm also working on the cockpit of my daughter-in-law's Vember:

Nick.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:01 am

Nothing like a bit of varnish to impress the daughter-in-law:

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:38 pm

Patrice Duval, a French Polynesian sea kayak guide has just completed his Shrike on Reunion Island, south east of Madagascar.