2 Double kayaks stolen

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Peter Holgate

2 Double kayaks stolen

Post by Peter Holgate » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi all
Sadly I need to post the fact that we have had 2 very expensive Double touring kayaks stolen.
Both are quiet rare in the UK so please could you keep your eyes peeled.

The first is a
Taha Marine Double . Red deck , White hull with rudder. Carbon Kevlar

The second is a

Prijon Posidon double all red , plastic model.

If you can help please PM or call 01425 655240

Pete

Peter Holgate

Re: 2 Double kayaks stolen

Post by Peter Holgate » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:28 pm

The Tahe boat is similar to this but Red top , black lines , white hull.

The Prijon is this one

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:46 pm

They were stolen 12/2/14 ( the day of all the high wind ) and were driven off on the roof of a Dark green Vauxhall 5 door hatch, Reg No YT59 SRV perhaps heading to Manchester or Leeds area.

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:19 am

Warning for any one looking to bu a double kayak in the Manchester area. One of our Double kayaks that were stolen is currently for sale on GUMTREE http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/tahe- ... 1048497818

I have tried very very hard to get Manchester/Cheshire Police to follow this up but at this moment I have had no luck.

BEWARE THIS IS A STOLEN BOAT and the people that have it have probably been involved in other crimes.

Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:02 am

Why aren't the police following this up? You could phone the police, say you're going to collect it from the seller of gumtree and kill the thieves with a gun- they might show up then?

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:21 am

The Police are currently too busy to take my call to update the information or to follow it up.... I don't much fancy getting shot by the Police trying to claim back my own goods to be honest!

journeyman

Post by journeyman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:26 pm

Wonder what your insurance company would do with the information?

stormkayaker

Post by stormkayaker » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:14 pm

Peter,

We all sympathise with you having been stitched up in this way and you should continue to hassle the police to do their job!
Lets face it, you have tracked down the stolen goods for them, all they have to do is attend, check the facts, and if the seller is believed to be guilty then arrest the persons concerned!

It must be really frustrating when someone blatantly steals your property then tries to sell it on as theirs!

I guess the same also applies to 'Intellectual property' such as boat designs .............

Good luck getting the boats back and maybe this would be a good time to reconsider your stance re Skim Kayaks?

Paul

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:32 pm

I have no wish to dig up that stupid argument any further Paul . I am not nor have I ever been Skim . I am aware of far more of both sides of the discussion that you will ever know or ever have access to . More than enough to make a very informed decision and to date I have made no decision on them ... So kindly don't go there it is not relevant to this threat and pretty petty to link them together to be honest.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:00 pm

Peter,

What a scumbag thing, to advertise such identifiable stolen goods so blatantly. I very much hope that A. the boat is returned undamaged and B. the thieves are caught and taken to court.

Douglas

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:04 pm

Thank you Douglas worse still they posed as a group doing a charity paddle . They truly are scum.

Graham T

Post by Graham T » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:18 pm

Sounds like a case of going to buy them back with a few very large friends

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:30 pm

The thought of driving 350 miles and into a criminal den manned people that have burgled houses to get the credit cards / stolen cars etc is not really a great prospect . Lets hope for a better outcome.

Kevin Cooper

Post by Kevin Cooper » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:58 pm

Are there any members on here close to the location the boats are being sold from that could also call the police and try to get the local force involved? Seems like easy crime figures improvement to me and surely won't take much resource to effect?

It's damning for all of us if our boats which appear to a be magnet for scum cannot be recovered with the help of the authorities even when we have identified where they are. Is it any wonder some people take the law into their own hands.

Any merit telling the local press about poor response from the police, media seems to drive most public office decisions these days.

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:18 pm

I would welcome any help on this, if local awareness of the situation can be raised with police or press then it would be great ..... However, I wouldn't want or wish for people to put themselves at risk.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:14 pm

Err, while I sympathize with the loss from fraud and theft, can I ask how you know for sure that actually is the same boat? That's clearly a stock picture.

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:28 pm

We are the only company to have imported them is the easiest answer . There are other reasons I don't wish to put on here also .... But It's ours .

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:44 am

When we discovered two of our kayaks that had been stolen a couple of years ago (serial numbers matched) we called the police who said to just go and collect them. They said if we were given any trouble to then call 999. Could be an option?

Greenlandpaddler

2 Double kayaks stolen

Post by Greenlandpaddler » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:56 am

"Just go and Collect them" - sorted then.....not! What are the police there for? Please remind me!

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:14 am

Dear Detective etc...

I was disappointed that you are unable to allocate resources to this crime...

I have taken the step of contacting the newsdesk of a national tabloid newspaper. They have expressed an interest in the story, particularly given the involvement of my company in working with disabled ex-servicemen etc etc

They have asked me to appraise them of the outcome of your investigation etc etc

Yours etc
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:31 am

It's a very good point and line to take . I can't even get a detective though so It will have to go direct to a press contact . You would not believe how crap this system is.

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:39 am

Pete,

I'm assuming a crime report was submitted for the initial theft, which if so, have you made that investigating officer aware of one of the boats turning up for sale ?

That officer should instigate an immediate investigation by Manchester, before the boat is sold, rather than you trying to get them to act.

Even if the current seller is not the original thief, there is at least a 'handling of stolen goods' offence, but once it gets sold on, any subsequent buyers may be buying it in good faith and the handling offence is harder to prove.

Failing that, start at the top, with a call or an email to the Police & Crime Commisioner's office for Manchester, where they should have a complaints team.

Good luck.

Mikers

Post by Mikers » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:09 pm

Legally the goods are still yours. You are entitled to go and collect them.

I would inform the local force that you intend to do so, and that by chance, you will be in the local area with a dozen friends at beer o'clock on the umtpeenth of February. I would cordially invite the police to attend as you have reason to believe that the people you are collecting from are the thieves and as such, they may be inclined to cause a breach of the peace.

The Police can't stop you from doing this, they may try to say you can't as YOU will be the one causing a breach of the peace, but that's gibber rubbish. You are going about your business legally. Take (copies) of whatever proof you have that the boats are yours. One for the Police and one for the people selling.

Grahamd

Post by Grahamd » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:51 am

To be fair to the police they have other more important things to do, such as, framing politicians.
It is disgraceful that they cannot be bothered to follow this up.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:39 pm

Mikers wrote:I would inform the local force that you intend to do so, and that by chance, you will be in the local area with a dozen friends at beer o'clock on the umtpeenth of February.
Unfortunately, this is the actual real world, and not a Guy Ritchie movie.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:56 pm

I noticed that the advert is no longer on Gumtree.

Any progress Peter ?

Phil

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:11 pm

This is indeed disgraceful. In addition to insisting on making a formal complaint, and having it formally logged as such, I would contact the DVLA and require to be given the name and address of the Registered Keeper of the vehicle whose number plate was noted. You are entitled to this information in these circumstances, and the procedure to follow, posting a completed Form V888, is outlined here: https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla
This would give further ammunition to shame those responsible into some more appropriate action. For example, you could then make a request that the Registered Keeper be interviewed. It would be more difficult to fob off a specific request.
Nick.

MarkEb

Post by MarkEb » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:34 pm

Might also be worth contacting your MP, especially of they are from an opposition party. They would love something like this.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:58 am

Forgive me if you've already done this, but rather than phoning, is it worth while dropping into the local cop-shop and asking to see the inspector in charge?

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:20 pm

Bump. Sorry . Still need to keep the awareness to help locate these boats.