EPIRBS on sale

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Jim

EPIRBS on sale

Post by Jim »

Just spotted this through an email this morning, no idea how much they usually really cost so you'll have to work out for yourself if they are bargains or not.

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/epirbs.bhtml

ajof

Re: EPIRBS on sale

Post by ajof »

Be advised, the £204.99 device on top left is not an EPIRB, it is whats known as an AIS SART. This will mean that if activated you will show up as a search and rescue contact on nearby ships AIS (Automatic Identification System) unit and potentially on their electronic chart system. It uses VHF frequencies and so is limited to the VHF range of approximately 40 miles however this is likely to be reduced due to being in the water, particularly if there is any swell on.

If paddling in areas with plenty of shipping traffic, then the AIS SART is fine and you may get rescue quicker as it is alerting ships in the vicinity directly. If not however you may not get detected at all. The conventional EPIRB however will get a response world wide but it may take longer to be rescued as it first alerts a land based rescue centre (usually MRCC Falmouth) which may be miles from where you are.

It's also worth noting that EPIRBs with a built in GPS will allow the MRCC to locate you instantly, where as those without require a few hours to allow your position to be calculated using doppler shift as the satellite passes over.

andyE

Post by andyE »

McMurdo Fast Find 220 PLB is a good price, however what date has the battery pack got? I understand that they are replaceable but, no idea how much, so may not be a cheap as it first appears .

journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Cost of replacing the fastfind battery was less than £25 - but factor in postage as it is a manufacturer replacement job - they also test it before returning back to you. For current price give them a ring.

Mark Steel

Post by Mark Steel »

Could you please tell me Where I can you get a fastfind replacement Battery for £25, The cheapest I can find is £75 or am I looking at the wrong Battery.

journeyman

Post by journeyman »

I contacted McMurdo direct in the UK - to enquire about the technical and practical differences between some of their PLBs. Some were user replaceable batteries - while the fast find 200 I was not user replaceable - has to be done by McMurdo as far as I know - and I'm sure I was quoted less than £25 for it (2-3 yrs ago) - so not sure how you've managed to get the battery for it on it's own.

Mark Steel

Post by Mark Steel »

journeyman

Post by journeyman »

This is the one I was talking about

http://www.fastfindplb.com/images/docum ... manual.pdf

definitely not user replaceable - try giving these guys a ring

Orolia Ltd Silver Point, Airport Service Rd, Portsmouth, PO3 5PB, United Kingdom Tel: +44 (0) 23 9262 3900

be interested in what they say

neil.farmer

Post by neil.farmer »

I am thinking of buying the fastfind220 for diving (& mountain/mountain biking days alone - often end up a long way from civilisation!). I know it has GPS for quicker location, the price is good-ish at 189, but what do people think of it? Are there any good alternatives that I should consider?
Neil Farmer (from mobile)

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I have one. Terrible value for money - I've had it years, and never used it once.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo »

neil.farmer wrote:I am thinking of buying the fastfind220 for diving (& mountain/mountain biking days alone - often end up a long way from civilisation!). I know it has GPS for quicker location, the price is good-ish at 189, but what do people think of it? Are there any good alternatives that I should consider?
I've got the Fastfind Max G, which is bigger than the 220 - but still fits into the McMurdo pressure canister, so I can take it diving with me. Other differences are that it floats whereas the 220 doesn't, and it has a user-replaceable battery, whereas I believe you have to send the 220 off to get it changed. I think you'll be alright with the 220 though - it should be much easier to stow in your BA. For diving, you'll need to get a decent pressure housing for it - I believe there are cheaper, smaller ones available than the McMurdo one. Also, attach a float to it - you'd be sick if you were stranded in the middle of the Atlantic and it fell overboard while you were trying to get it out!

neilfarmer

Post by neilfarmer »

Mark R wrote:I have one. Terrible value for money - I've had it years, and never used it once.
mmmm, when I told the wife what I was thinking of buying, and more importantly the price, she said "you had better make good use of it...."......
Neil Farmer.

neilfarmer

Post by neilfarmer »

PlymouthDamo wrote:
neil.farmer wrote:I am thinking of buying the fastfind220 for diving (& mountain/mountain biking days alone - often end up a long way from civilisation!). I know it has GPS for quicker location, the price is good-ish at 189, but what do people think of it? Are there any good alternatives that I should consider?
I've got the Fastfind Max G,
OK, had a look at the FastfindG, what are the advantages over the Fastfind220? Both seemed to transmit on 406 and 101 frequencies, both sent the GPS location...... A confusing world of EPIRB's out there!!
Neil Farmer.

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo »

neilfarmer wrote: OK, had a look at the FastfindG, what are the advantages over the Fastfind220? Both seemed to transmit on 406 and 101 frequencies, both sent the GPS location...... A confusing world of EPIRB's out there!!
Nothing that I'm aware of other than what I've already written - i.e. it floats and you can change the battery yourself. I bought my Fastfind Max 5 years ago, when I don't think the 220 was available. If I was to be buying one now, I'd seriously consider the 220 as it's so much more compact and therefore easier to stow. (The Max costs a lot more, so it may have other advantages, e.g. better battery life or power, but I've never bothered finding out.)

Jim

Post by Jim »

neilfarmer wrote:
Mark R wrote:I have one. Terrible value for money - I've had it years, and never used it once.
mmmm, when I told the wife what I was thinking of buying, and more importantly the price, she said "you had better make good use of it...."......
But will she let you go paddling or diving without one now she knows about them?

I get infinite value for money by never having bought one, but it only holds out up to the point I need to use it......

norb

Post by norb »

I paid for my McMurdo about 270 . Paddling most weekend in year:) Battery is good for 6 years minimum.I both this one last year after long swim on tide race. My PLB need replace battery in 2020 but 6 years is good enough for me.6 years and 52 weeks per year is about 312 weeks. that is about 84 p per week.

stewh

Post by stewh »

I wonder what the Fast find 220 costs in the USA?