Disposing of flares^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Robert Craig

Disposing of flares^

Post by Robert Craig » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:32 pm

I'm moving house next week. While clearing the attic, I've come across a number of outdated flares which I was trying to forget. Plus rusty but full gas canister ...

What's the current advice on disposal? Bearing in mind I'm moving before 5 November!

ian the badger

Re: Disposing of flares

Post by ian the badger » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:47 pm

Take them to HM Coastguard, I believe they offer a disposal service.

Big Fish

Post by Big Fish » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:59 pm

Put the gas cannister in your stove, light it and let it burn out

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:03 pm

Nearest to me are, I think, Belfast or Stornoway.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:25 pm

Well, when I was in the chandlers at Largs Marina a month or so back they were providing a disposal service. There was a small charge as I recall. Mike.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Took me a couple of readings to work out you meant in the stove it was for..... not in the woodburner in the living room.

COastgaurd will still take flares but only at certain stations and only by appointment (used to be you could just knock on their door and hand them in at any station)
Most chandlers will dispose of them for you, usually for free when you buy replacements.

I wonder if they'd take them in if you were buying a laser flare?
So much sea - so little time to see it.

RescueFlares

Post by RescueFlares » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:10 pm

pathbrae wrote:
Took me a couple of readings to work out you meant in the stove it was for..... not in the woodburner in the living room.

COastgaurd will still take flares but only at certain stations and only by appointment (used to be you could just knock on their door and hand them in at any station)
Most chandlers will dispose of them for you, usually for free when you buy replacements.

I wonder if they'd take them in if you were buying a laser flare?

I don't take flares back but...any forum member looking to buy a Greatland Rescue Laser Flare - i will give you a free carry case !

S.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am

The cross channel and channel island ferries offer a free service. Once confiscated they do not give them back on your return to blighty.

johnb

Post by johnb » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:46 pm

i think the premier league football clubs will also be offering such a service soon....

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:05 pm

There is a commercial marine safety equipment place in Port Glasgow or Greenock whose name escapes me right now but google keeps coming up with Ocean Safety in Greenock who certainly sell flares. The place I am thinking of services ships safety equipment and takes their out of date pyro.

Not all chandlers have pyrotechnics licences these days, many of the smaller ones out this way cannot economically meet the requirements to maintain a license. Duncans sell pyro but I don't know if they take it in (worth a call).
Last time I spoke to the guy at Dunstaffnage he not only sold pyro but had the facility to receive out dated pyro - possibly because he has a charter fleet to maintain, possibly because 1/3 of the vessels in the marina will need to change their pyro each year.
It may therefore be worth asking other, closer, marinas although I'm pretty sure neither Sandpoint or Rhu have the facilities since neither of the chandleries at them had pyro licenses last time I asked.

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:29 pm

PeterG wrote:The cross channel and channel island ferries offer a free service. Once confiscated they do not give them back on your return to blighty.
Now that seems like the easiest solution!

For southerners, the RNLI in Poole will take flares, but only by appointment. The person I spoke to in the gate house implied it was a bureaucratic nightmare for them, but they will take them. It seems that problems have been caused by people dropping off flares that were in such a poor state that the only way they could get rid of them was via Army bomb disposal, and even thy went too happy to take them.
Mark Gawler

RescueFlares

Post by RescueFlares » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Jim wrote:There is a commercial marine safety equipment place in Port Glasgow or Greenock whose name escapes me right now but google keeps coming up with Ocean Safety in Greenock who certainly sell flares. The place I am thinking of services ships safety equipment and takes their out of date pyro.
That IS Ocean Safety , they moved to Greenock

S.

robhorton

Post by robhorton » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:12 am

I seem to recall someone posting here that the police will take expired flares - probably best to phone first rather than just showing up with them though.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:47 pm

robhorton wrote:I seem to recall someone posting here that the police will take expired flares - probably best to phone first rather than just showing up with them though.
Trust me - the police don't.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:56 pm

What Mike means is, that when he phoned the police about flares, they sent the bomb squad round to his house, which made the neighbours somewhat nervous.....

SWPaddler

Post by SWPaddler » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:27 pm

Exmouth tip used to accept flares. Now the website says:

Non-acceptable
••Fireworks, flares, explosives and ammunition - please contact your local police for advice.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Jim wrote:What Mike means is, that when he phoned the police about flares, they sent the bomb squad round to his house, which made the neighbours somewhat nervous.....
Indeed - mind you, by that point we were dealing with two misfires - one of which was "in date" at the time!

Advice from RYA on disposal of out-of-date flares - and details of disposal points is here - http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDoc ... 20FAQs.pdf

Mike.

adrian j pullin

Post by adrian j pullin » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks for this link, Mike. Most useful. At least we are not too far from a disposal site.
Cheers

Adrian J Pullin
-------------------------------------------------------
"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
Kayak lore: "He who capsizes must also roll".

Robert Craig

Re: Disposing of flares^

Post by Robert Craig » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks as well for the link, Mike. Seems the definitive answer. Though did intend just to let off the hand flares on the 5th, but have scarily mislaid them in the house move,

Tried my local council, who said "no", as did the local chandler who does sell flares.

Girvan is the nearest place, apparently.

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:41 pm

Funny I disposed of my Hand flare last night, over 5 yrs out of date it was nice to know it still worked,
This is not the repose you are looking for ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:13 am

Voodoo wrote:Funny I disposed of my Hand flare last night, over 5 yrs out of date it was nice to know it still worked,
My two orange smokes were seven years out of date, and they worked perfectly. They had been submerged in sea water many times over the past 12 years.
Nick.

Daker

Post by Daker » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:17 pm

PeterG wrote:The cross channel and channel island ferries offer a free service. Once confiscated they do not give them back on your return to blighty.
Come to think of it, try getting in to any busy sporting event, airport, ferry, maybe even busy pubs on the weekend with one in your pocket and Im sure they would be happy to relieve you of them ! Great idea !! ;o)

Hywel

Post by Hywel » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:50 pm

I've taken mine to two different firestations, both of which took them without a blink of the eye.