Peveril Point tide race

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark R

Peveril Point tide race

Post by Mark R »

A few pics from Saturday...

http://southwestseakayaking.co.uk/2013/ ... the-races/

Incidentally, the Coastwatch station people kept blowing their stupid airhorn at us. No idea how to respond to that sort of thing...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Dave Thomas

Re: Peveril Point tide race

Post by Dave Thomas »

They clearly thought you were in mortal danger ...

Coastwatch folk do seem a bit of mixed blessing. I've had one instance of real helpfulness - Wooltack Point relaying a routine VHF message to Milford Haven MRCC - but a few less helpful/negative ones - including once at Perverill Point. Perhaps there's an opportunity for a paddler in that area at least, and maybe at other coastwatch stations, to offer to go and 'educate' them on paddlers' activities and capabilities!
Dave Thomas

Bards

Post by Bards »

Coastwatch at Peveril can be contacted prior to shenanigans on 01929 422596.

Obviously neither 'phone nor station are manned 24hrs a day, but any contact should keep the trigger fingers from twitching unnecessarily...

Bards

Jim

Post by Jim »

Mark R wrote:A few pics from Saturday...

http://southwestseakayaking.co.uk/2013/ ... the-races/

Incidentally, the Coastwatch station people kept blowing their stupid airhorn at us. No idea how to respond to that sort of thing...
They were obviously running the Peveril Point Rodeo when you gate crashed, that's the horn to signify the start of each heat. Hope you managed some good rides, I'm sure if you ask nicely they will tell you who won. :-)

Looks a bit more fierce than when I paddled it a couple of years ago, mind you we had a long day planned and caught it near the start of the tide.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Thing is...just supposing we had been in mortal peril...what difference would blowing that stupid irritating air horn at us have made?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr »

Mark R wrote:Thing is...just supposing we had been in mortal peril...what difference would blowing that stupid irritating air horn at us have made?
It seems to be catching on. Douglas and I experienced something similar when approaching Machrihanish, only this time from a birdie bloke in a lookout hut.

Thinking of getting one to give them a taste of their own medicine ! ;-0

Phil

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston »

PhilAyr wrote:
Mark R wrote:Thing is...just supposing we had been in mortal peril...what difference would blowing that stupid irritating air horn at us have made?
It seems to be catching on. Douglas and I experienced something similar when approaching Machrihanish, only this time from a birdie bloke in a lookout hut.

Thinking of getting one to give them a taste of their own medicine ! ;-0

Phil

Hi Mark & Phil,

I tried with every fibre of my being to resist posting this but......

I've got access to a rather large, erm, horn for responses to Coastwatchies. It's on a 40,000 tonne tanker..... :o)

Kind Regards

Ian

MYSSAK

Post by MYSSAK »

Jim wrote:... Hope you managed some good rides, I'm sure if you ask nicely they will tell you who won. :-)

Looks a bit more fierce than when I paddled it a couple of years ago, mind you we had a long day planned and caught it near the start of the tide.
Natalie always likes to be at the front. So maybe she was a winner of the day?

Michal

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr »

Hi Mark & Phil,

I tried with every fibre of my being to resist posting this but......

I've got access to a rather large, erm, horn for responses to Coastwatchies. It's on a 40,000 tonne tanker..... :o)

Kind Regards

Ian
Wonderful !!

Two questions Ian : 1/Would anyone notice it had gone ? and 2/Would it fit on the fore deck of my Quest ? ;-0

Kind regards

Phil

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston »

PhilAyr wrote: Wonderful !!

Two questions Ian : 1/Would anyone notice it had gone ? and 2/Would it fit on the fore deck of my Quest ? ;-0

Kind regards

Phil
Hi Phil,

Yes, pretty quickly.....

and

No, well, at least not without fouling your sail!

For well-meaning coastwatchies, can I recommend this? http://www.howstuffworks.com/lrad.htm Having seen it first hand, it does get the required attention.

For the birders of Macrihanish Bay, the ideal solution would be this baby http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minigun. It will deliver a snappy and timely response at 6000rpm (that's rounds, not revs...) It would fit on the foredeck of a Quest quite well, though you'd need a slightly bigger battery than the one for an electric pump... :o)

Kind Regards

Ian

Jim

Post by Jim »

MYSSAK wrote:
Jim wrote:... Hope you managed some good rides, I'm sure if you ask nicely they will tell you who won. :-)

Natalie always likes to be at the front.
I got that impression chatting after the Oban race, she certainly got in front of me!
MYSSAK wrote:So maybe she was a winner of the day?
What sort of moves would you do in a sea kayak rodeo? I guess Old school stuff like loops and pirouettes, or maybe just front surfing with a paddle twirl or shudder rudder?

I remember paddling back towards Ellenabeach on Seil with some good chop, accelerating, rolling my boat on edge and at the last minute remembering I was in a sea kayak and that the wavewheel was not going to happen so aborting it! Can't really envisage anyone being able to cartwheel a sea kayak, except by accident in a massive overfall!

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Jim wrote:What sort of moves would you do in a sea kayak rodeo? I guess Old school stuff like loops and pirouettes, or maybe just front surfing with a paddle twirl or shudder rudder?
This would have secured my place on the national team, back in the day...

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Aled

Post by Aled »

Jim wrote:Can't really envisage anyone being able to cartwheel a sea kayak, except by accident in a massive overfall!
All you need is a decent sized wave... :-)
Kayak Designer at Tiderace

MartinW

Post by MartinW »

But Aled, you weren't supposed to break it! :)
Rockpool Alaw Bach

Jim

Post by Jim »

Aled wrote:
Jim wrote:Can't really envisage anyone being able to cartwheel a sea kayak, except by accident in a massive overfall!
All you need is a decent sized wave... :-)
I don't even need to click the link, It's a memorable video!

In rodeo terms though, it counts as an 'unintendo', which means Mark's shudder rudder still beats it!

Grahamd

Post by Grahamd »

Aled
At the time the kayak was a prototype with limited photographs. Can you say now which kayak it was a prototype for?