sea kayak for big guys

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
scaniaman

sea kayak for big guys

Post by scaniaman » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:42 pm

Hi there,i'm wanting to get into sea kayaking and i'm looking for some tips on a boat for the larger gentleman!! i'm 18.5 stone and 6 ft tall. What boat would be suitable and where is a good place to buy from,i'm based in mid wales,thanks in advance

MikeB

Re: sea kayak for big guys

Post by MikeB » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:53 pm

Take a look at the larger versions of the Tiderace range - Mike.

Big Ade

Post by Big Ade » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:51 pm

Funnily enough,
I've been having the occasional rant on here about sea kayaks for big blokes.
And I mostly get ignored by the designers.

I happen to have two of the best big boys boats in my garage, namely the Tiderace Xplore X and a Valley Aquilla.
So if you're willing to travel to Wirral, then next time I'm playing out, I'll bring them both to the water and you can try them out.
If you're unsteady, we can maybe play out at Bala.
This would probably save you a great deal of cash in the long run, because the wrong boat, and most of them are anthropomorphically wrong for big people, are just near enough useless for the likes of us.

I liked to paddle a Valley Skerray XL, now that would be a good boat, but it has a really low front deck and a comparatively small cockpit, so you'd need to be quite bendy. Even rarer is the Valley Aquilla, longer, narrower and the mistress in our love hate relationship. It's an old school Nordy hull in XXL.

The X is just bombproof, probably more available, and gets better the rougher it gets.
Boats like the big P & H Capella 173 have been stretched beyond a competent hull form to become unbalanced.

People will tell you they're 25 stone and paddle a pencil happily so why can't you.

Ooooh, I can feel a right rant at boat design coming on.

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:12 pm

I too have been looking for a larger kayak, not that I'm massive but there is one problem I have with many. When surf landing I would like to get both my legs outside the cockpit rim before I hit the beach and then be able to get out quick. I have a slight problem with both my feet and this would be the prefered method of getting out quick without skinning my shins. I tried a PH Orion and a Perception essence 17 but both unsuitable. I guess a big kayak would be ideal but which?

bearshead

Post by bearshead » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:16 pm

I paddle an Venture Easky 15 footer, it's not a proper sea kayak, but I've taken it out to Flat Holm island in the middle of the Bristol channel, rock hoping and in moderate conditions, don't have a problem keeping up with longer boats either.
I am 6ft and 17 stone 8 pounds, plenty of room and easy to paddle,
You can pick them up fairly cheap second hand too!

dpround

Post by dpround » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:33 pm

SKUK's romany excel (XL) is worth a look if you want a larger boat with a large cockpit. I am very pleased with mine.

All the best

David

Geebee

Post by Geebee » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:06 pm

I'm 18st and 6ft3" so similar in size, I have a Mega Soverign which I've paddled for years as it is so comfortable, but for a recent 850 mile expedition I changed to a Mega viking which was genuinely superb. Both boats have really suited me, allowing progressive paddling without feeling cramped or bathtub-esque.

You're welcome to try them both if you find yourself in North Devon or Cornwall.

Best of luck in finding something.

Glyn

asmar

Post by asmar » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:47 pm

dpround wrote:SKUK's romany excel (XL) is worth a look if you want a larger boat with a large cockpit. I am very pleased with mine.

All the best

David
David what are your dimensions?

Kate D

Post by Kate D » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:07 am

If you are based in mid Wales, you might consider going to see Pete Baars on Anglesey. He offers demo weekends where you can try a whole variety of boats one after another, and then take the one you prefer out on a journey. Pete trades as Summit to Sea.

http://www.summittosea.co.uk/

As others have said in countless 'which boat' threads, the main decider is your comfort. Your paddling will develop to suit the boat you choose so don't get too hung up on how stable it is or how well it turns/tracks etc. Choose the one you can sit in all day.

zec01

Post by zec01 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:47 am

I'm 6' 4" and 20st, I have the Romany Surf and its fits well, I have the foam seat not glass, the Excel would also be a good choice as would an Explorer HV.
Give Pete at Summit to Sea a visit or call
If it hurts, you are still alive!

scaniaman

Post by scaniaman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:54 am

Thanks for all the replies, Big Ade,i might just take you up on that offer,i'm off back to work in a few days and will prob be away till xmas but i will let you know if thats ok,cheers

Big Ade

Post by Big Ade » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:57 pm

Yep, you'd be most welcome. Just drop me a PM.
Cheers,
Ade

Joe S

Post by Joe S » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:38 pm

6'3, 18 - 19 St (ish!) been paddling an Explorer HV for several years. Plenty of volume for me and kit. As ever - try as many different boats as you can.

Joe

Roddy McDowell

Post by Roddy McDowell » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:32 pm

If that Scottish dimension works for you happy to put a Tiderace Xplore X or Xcape X out for demo at Loch Lomond or on the Isle of Bute http://www.kayakbute.co.uk for details.

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:52 am

I'd like to throw the Tahe Marine Reval, The Zegul Searocket and the Aquarius Dimension 535 . You'll fit in one of those or all. We have stock in Fordingbridge.

Mikebelluk

Post by Mikebelluk » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:05 pm

There's a new Tahe Marine Reval HV out, not sure if its available in UK yet

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:58 am

Reval HV is released in Europe in October. We will have one shortly after.

johnysmoke

Post by johnysmoke » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:24 am

I'm 6'3" and 230lbs (not sure what that is in stones) and I paddle a Nigel Foster Shadow as my distance paddling\gear hauling boat. Also surfs really well for a boat that is close to 18 feet long.

quattro570

Post by quattro570 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi Scaniaman

I am 6ft 3in and 19st.

I have a Tiderace Xplore-X and I absolutely love it.

It is extremely comfortable and build quality is simply bulletproof.

Chris

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:23 pm

johnysmoke wrote:I'm 6'3" and 230lbs (not sure what that is in stones)
Divide by 14.

TimL@Pyranha

Post by TimL@Pyranha » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi

You should consider the Cetus HV - loads of room and still loads of performance. Give me a call because we can get an HV to any PH dealer given enough time. Other than that Pete at Summit to Sea will be a great place to see and test an HV.

thanks
Tim
Pyranha
Runcorn

journeyman

Post by journeyman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:44 pm

If you ever down South Wales and want to try out a Cetus HV, get in touch. I love it, can paddle all day in it with ease, and can easily extract legs/feet or landings.

beachbum

Post by beachbum » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:00 pm

6'5 and 18 stone (had to look how to convert; 115kg in the real world).

2 1/2 years in a Prijon Kodiak, now in a Lettmann Biskaya HV. It beats the Etain 17.7 and Cetus 1710, but those two are good and comfy boats as well.

esbegan

Post by esbegan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:10 pm

Hi all,

I have been following this forum for a while but not posting anything till now that it's time to move a step forward a better and bigger kayak, and I'm a quite...large kayaker, at least for Chilean standards. I am 189m tall and 130 kg of mass.
I paddle an unsinkable and eternal Necky Zoar which is great, a lot of space, very maneuverable but the problem is that is not as fast as I would like and cannot store as much gear as I would like. I carry in general mountaineering stuff so it's pretty large too.
I have been looking for the Wilderness Systems Tsunami 167 and 175 due to price and size. Some reviews say that the 175 is the "MAck Truck of the seas". What are your opinions and options you would recommend?
Thanks in advance and congrats for the great Forum.

Just to present myself I paddle in Patagonia (Punta Arenas, Chile) mainly in the Strait of Magellan so we are used to the wind and rough conditions. We have a lot of plans in our club for expeditions but we still are beggining :D

Cheers and thanks
EBG

"Frío...Mucho frío..."

blades

Post by blades » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:33 am

This post was recommended to me... I’ve currently been losing weight in order to be healthier, feel better and get back into kayaking! I looked up all of the boat recommendations but it seems most of the boats are no longer made. It would be great if this post could be brought up to date if any larger / heavier paddlers have particular experience of boats that fit them. Larger cockpits and weight capacities please! 👍
take nothing but pictures!

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:40 am

it seems most of the boats are no longer made
Indeed, but they will be available second hand. if you are buying a boat to lose weight (as mentioned in your other thread), and may be selling it on soon, you would be wise not to buy new anyway.

pugwash

Post by pugwash » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:25 pm

When I was your weight I used to paddle an Ocean Kayak 15ft sit on top, and had to use scupper plugs to stop water coming in. At around 115kg I moved into a Valley Argonaught, I can still paddle it but I do rattle around now at 85kg. Don’t worry the weight will come off, just think how long it took to put it on!

blades

Post by blades » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:24 pm

pugwash wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:25 pm
When I was your weight I used to paddle an Ocean Kayak 15ft sit on top, and had to use scupper plugs to stop water coming in. At around 115kg I moved into a Valley Argonaught, I can still paddle it but I do rattle around now at 85kg. Don’t worry the weight will come off, just think how long it took to put it on!
Thank you 👍
take nothing but pictures!

esbegan

Post by esbegan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:32 pm

blades wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:33 am
This post was recommended to me... I’ve currently been losing weight in order to be healthier, feel better and get back into kayaking! I looked up all of the boat recommendations but it seems most of the boats are no longer made. It would be great if this post could be brought up to date if any larger / heavier paddlers have particular experience of boats that fit them. Larger cockpits and weight capacities please! 👍
Hi blades, I bought a P&H Scorpio MKII and so far I have't had any problems, I can carry a lot of stuff and the kayak itself is amazing, it tracks like a dream and under a lot of stressing water it works perfectly. Maybe it's a good choice for you.

Cheers and keep losing weight! I'm on the same track now!
EBG

"Frío...Mucho frío..."