Best Cag?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Stuart Yendle

Best Cag?

Post by Stuart Yendle » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:32 pm

I fancy treating myself to a new cag this winter. I've had my Palm Tasman for four years now, it's served me well but it's starting to break down. I'm torn between the Palm Alaska and the Peak Explorer, I kind of know what to expect from the Palm and would like to know more about the Peak. Has anyone had any experience with either? Basically looking for a expedition cag that's going to keep me protected in the worst of conditions. Thanks.

journeyman

Re: Best Cag?

Post by journeyman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:35 pm

Have been using the Alaska - gets a big thumbs up - really nice fit for me. The lack of restricted movement has me thinking I hardly know I'm are wearing it. The hood rolls up out of the way - nice feature.

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:45 am

Basically looking for a expedition cag that's going to keep me protected in the worst of conditions. Thanks.
Hi Stuart : Pointing out the obvious I suppose, but wouldn't a dry suit be more appropriate, especially in winter ?

Phil

Stuart Yendle

Post by Stuart Yendle » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:42 am

PhilAyr wrote:
Basically looking for a expedition cag that's going to keep me protected in the worst of conditions. Thanks.
Hi Stuart : Pointing out the obvious I suppose, but wouldn't a dry suit be more appropriate, especially in winter ?

Phil
Hi Phil, ideally yes but I've always got on ok with the two piece. Plus your looking at £500+ for a good dry suite, and when I've also got to fork out for a new tent and I've just bought a new set of paddles it starts to mount up.

Journey, the hood on the Tasman has been great, free movement, fully adjustable. The hood and collar on the Alaska look a great selling point for me.

I've heard a few issues with Palm, there area few here... http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... =3&t=97340 I've had mine 4 years and almost everything has gone on it. The latex has disintegrated, the neoprene on the collar is flaking away, the Velcro has lost it's grip and the rubber fallen away from the straps, the elastic cord on the hood has disintegrated and snapped, the seams inside have peeled, and some toggles on the zips have fallen off, and finally it's doesn't keep me dry in the slightest. I rinse it and hang it up after every use, and on occasions wash it with Nikwax wash and wax. But in fairness it's had it's use. If you flick through any book or magazine all the top coaches are wearing Peak cags, but I'm sure this probably has something to do with sponsorship.

soundoftheseagull
Location: Lives in a Pineapple but NOT under the sea, Prestatyn, North Wales

Post by soundoftheseagull » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:56 am

Peak adventure a solid cag had it for a couple of years really pleased.
Dave

Rockpool GT

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Kokatat Tec Tour in Gotetex. U won't regret it !

andreadawn

Post by andreadawn » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:34 pm

I've had the Peak Explorer Double for a few months; not long enough to comment on its durability but it feels extremely well made. I use it with the Kokatat Whirlpool Bibs. The waist seals mate extremely well.

It is very comfortable to wear. The hood is reasonably good for a lightweight roll-away affair. I've never had a cag with a hood before and didn't think I would use it, but it earned its keep on Skye back in April during some particularly violent squalls.

Personally I wouldn't want to use it in the depths of winter. The neoprene neck seal isn't as watertight as a latex seal. Even with it cinched down as tight as was comfortable there was some leakage when practising self rescues recently. Perhaps not an issue for someone with a bombproof roll and the leakage was certainly a lot less than with the more typical velcro type seals on touring cags. I also find it a really comfortable neck seal so am happy with the trade off outside of the winter season.

Overall I'm pleased with it so far. I bought it as a replacement for an eight year old Kokatat Gore-Tex cag which had started to leak like a sieve. If it lasts that long I will be very happy with it.

Andrea Collins

JuanChanKane

Post by JuanChanKane » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:41 pm

Got a couple of Peak cags (Tourlite & Creek) and both are really well executed, I particularly like the X4 fabric (4 layers) as I find it much more comfortable than 3 (it's also warmer, beware). Peak usually publishes some promotional products now and then, so if not in a hurry...
P&H Cetus HV -Aleutian paddle -Peak UK apparel

Stuart Yendle

Post by Stuart Yendle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:17 pm

Thanks for all the replies, a few people have recommended the Kokatat jacket especially the Tropos because of the price, so will definitely check that out at my local store. The Peak cags seem to be getting good reviews also. Apparently the problems with the Palm was an issue with the glue they were using but is all sorted now.

Andrea I thought I would never use a hood, until I went to Skye.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:39 pm

Stuart Yendle wrote:Thanks for all the replies, a few people have recommended the Kokatat jacket especially the Tropos because of the price, - -
While the price of the Tropos is good, the Goretex is really much, much better - - - even at the price - -

Stuart Yendle

Post by Stuart Yendle » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:55 pm

MikeB wrote:
Stuart Yendle wrote:Thanks for all the replies, a few people have recommended the Kokatat jacket especially the Tropos because of the price, - -
While the price of the Tropos is good, the Goretex is really much, much better - - - even at the price - -
I know, it is expensive but if it's going to last me twice as long as the one I just had then it'll be worth it. Don't think the wife would agree though. The tropos one is on sale at my local store for £150.

Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:39 pm

What's on the market now that you can recommend please? Cheers

Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:39 pm

What's on the market now that you can recommend please? Cheers

RichJ

Post by RichJ » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:24 am

My vote for separates;
Kokotat Tec Tour in Goretex
Kokotat salopettes in hydrus

Hydrus is not their most expensive, although hide price tags from any significant others, but as said by MikeB .....You really won't regret the choice! And actually, if you are paddling regularly and in my experience, cheaper. This kit LASTS!!

Richard

Mrstratos61

Post by Mrstratos61 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:53 pm

Just a thumbs up for Palm. None of my more recent gear has shown any sign of problems in quality.

Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks.

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:16 pm

Yak Glacier which is three layer and great value too I paid £129 for it down from £260, Escape Watersports have them. Also got a Yak Titan drysuit for WW and it's been great.

T4Mac

Post by T4Mac » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:39 pm

[/quote]I know, it is expensive but if it's going to last me twice as long as the one I just had then it'll be worth it. Don't think the wife would agree though. The tropos one is on sale at my local store for £150.
[/quote]

Hello Stuart, I lost my Kokotat Tec-Tour Tropos (Pumpkin colour) a couple of years ago and can't find a UK seller to replace it. I would be greatfull if you could let me know the shop. Don't mind paying the going rate but 150 notes would be even better.

Or if anyone is selling an xxl I would be interested. Maybe you have moved to a drysuit?