Deck Slates

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
MikeB

Deck Slates

Post by MikeB » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:04 pm

A while ago there was the hope that these were getting produced but all went quiet - here's some pics of the pre-production sample I've commissioned. They are produced on decent quality self adhesive vinyl of the same type as the name stickers I use on my boat - and the original was still perfect after well over 10 years. Knoydart used to do these but don't anymore. They are also sometimes called Sea Slates.

(The air bubbles on the left one are just where it separated from the backing paper as I removed the protection paper for the pictures. Normally, you'd leave the decal on the backing paper as it makes application easier. The "notch" on the right hand one won't be in the production version - it's just been reproduced from the set on my Aleut where the original had been cut to flow around the pump handle recess.

Having the data on the left side makes it easier to write it before launching - leaving the right side clear for easier writing of notes etc on the water. (Assuming you're right handed of course)

(Edit 7/9/13) For those of you who are left handed, John tells me he can easily produce sets with the info printed on the right hand side - just ask when ordering.

Regs, Mike.

icklepaddler

Re: Deck Slates

Post by icklepaddler » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Not sure if you have seen the post in the comercial forum, but it looks like art and sea are about to start making these.

They are after that input ahead of finalising design.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Ah - thanks for that. I hadn't seen it.

richard2

Post by richard2 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:43 pm

I would be interested in one set.
Thanks
Rich

Gillies

Post by Gillies » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:53 am

Hi,

And thanks for taking the initiative :-)

I'd be interested in two sets, maybe three, depending on pricing ..

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:08 pm

Update - the original Mk I design has been complimented by a slightly modified one as I found it too big for my Tiderace XcapeX owing to the little fore deck hatch. The deck profile also caused some problems. The Mk I fits on the rear cockpit of my Aleut albeit with a bit of trimming round the recess for the pump handle. I know from past experience that they also fit Valley boats like a Nordkapp - and also P&H Capella and a Quest. I'm uncertain as to how well they will stick to a polythene boat btw.

So - for the Tiderace design and similar, we've developed an alternative Mk II variant which should fit better as it has a curve to flow better around the fore deck hatch on boats like this. It measures 15 cms across - 12 cms height.
I've no plans to make anything out of this, and not interested in getting involved with ordering / posting etc - SO - if you'd like some, all you have to do is use PayPal and send £9.00 per set (which incs postage) to a lovely guy called John Woods via norsewood99@hotmail.com

Tell him whether you want the Mk I (the large one as per the top set) OR the Mk II (the smaller one, as per the examples later in this thread). If you want multiple sets and/or international postage then you need to discuss that with him. (Each pair is costed at £7.50)

Include your postal address in the PayPal message, and make sure you also mention "Kayak Deck Slates".

You'll need a suitable pencil too of course - eBay or your local artshop will satisfy that for between .50p and £2.00. When these were last available, they were sold at £20 or so - (including a pencil - - )

Enjoy - MIke.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:29 pm

I'll have an example of the MK II version in a day or so - I'll stick up a picture once they arrive. Mike.

Simon Willis

Post by Simon Willis » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:50 pm

I don't know if this is any connection to yours Mike?
S

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:15 pm

No connection at all Simon. The ones I commissioned are available now though, only £9 a set (inc P&P). For the record, I make nothing out of arranging this. Mike

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Mk II arrived today and I've just fitted to the XcapeX. Rather pleased actually.

Fitted on the boat - the profile flows round the hatch and it's designed to fit just aft of the drainage recess. Accepting that it's kinda hard to see white on white, the next pic (the backing paper) shows the actual shape.

Port side

Starboard side.

The Mk I version (taken from the original Knoydart design) is far too big to fit these boats properly. This one does.

I've no plans to make anything out of this, and not interested in getting involved with ordering / posting etc - SO - if you'd like some, all you have to do is use PayPal and send £9.00 per set (which incs postage) to a lovely guy called John Woods via norsewood99@hotmail.com

Tell him whether you want the Mk I (the large one as per the top set) OR the Mk II (the smaller one, as per the lower set). If you want multiple sets and/or international postage then you need to discuss that with him. (Each pair is costed at £7.50)

Include your postal address in the PayPal message, and make sure you also mention "Kayak Deck Slates".

Regs, Mike.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:30 pm

For Chinagraph pencils, it seems that there are loads on eBay and the like, but those obtainable from diving equipment suppliers are apparantly best as they seem to be more resistant to water - they use them for dive slates. I've just bought a pair on-line, the packet is marked "Hydro tech".

I've also found that there's a Staedtler Propelling Chinagraph available which I've just ordered. I'll update in due course!

(Edit - 16/8 - a Google search will bring up Proaviation as a supplier of these - I cannot recommend dealing with them - no item - no response to numerous emails and phone calls. Now waiting to see if PayPal will sort out a refund)
(Edit - 18/8 - I finally got them to correspond with me and got the problem resolved amicably)

Bards

Post by Bards » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:30 pm

MikeB wrote:For Chinagraph pencils, it seems that there are loads on eBay and the like, but those obtainable from diving equipment suppliers are apparantly best as they seem to be more resistant to water - they use them for dive slates.

I've also found that there's aStaedtler Propelling Chinagraph available which I've just ordered. I'll update in due course!
I look forward to that; I'd only ever found them for a gazillion quid from U.S. I started snapping my bog-standard chino's into chunks a while ago so one whole one doesn't turn to frilly mush over a wet weekender... Decent deckslate with a chino fit for purpose... who knows; I suppose it's possible?!

Bards

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:46 pm

I finally got Proaviation to correspond with me and got the problem resolved amicably.

However, that particular product (the Staedtler pen) isn't any use to "us" as it turns out to be water soluble chinagraph!

The Dive Slate Pencils I got elsewhere seem to be ok - although after only one outing it's a little hard to confirm for sure.

Mike.

4x4maddog

Post by 4x4maddog » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Just ordered up a set of MK1s. Just need to get pencil from fleabay now.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Excellent! Try to find a "dive slate" pencil - -

stewh

Post by stewh » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:53 pm

I ordered and paid for (Paypal) a set of deck slates on the 20th, but have had no reply. I also sent an E-mail to Norswood99@hotmail.com, but the mail didn't go (Remote host said: 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable [RCPT_TO] )
Anyone know what's going-on?

Stewart

Bards

Post by Bards » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:06 pm

Strange. I received mine very promptly. Hope that gets resolved

Bards

stewh

Post by stewh » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:25 pm

Now resolved.
My FU. I sent the payment to the wrong address (one incorrect character in the E-address) Paypal didn't take the money from my a/c, and I hadn't noticed that.
Many thanks to Mike for helping sort this out.

Stewart

stewh

Post by stewh » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:20 am

Received them yesterday. :-)