kayaks on scillonian

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
blurpup

kayaks on scillonian

Post by blurpup »

I'm off to the Scilly Isles in a couple of weeks, taking my boat.

Just a quick question regarding boats on the Scillonian. What sort of protection do I need to take to prevent bumps and scrapes on the journey - some simple foam pads, or is this not necessary?

Also will they allow simple lightweight kit inside the boats? I'm thinking splitting my paddles and putting in cockpit area with a deck cover on and BA, deck, helmet, shoes, cag in the hatches.

nikhoward

Re: kayaks on scillonian

Post by nikhoward »

I would not bother with protection, they are fairly use to loading boats. Be around to supervise and/or help. You cod
Put some stuff in hatches but all this makes a boat heavier and so more likely to be damaged, so keep it light. Dont worry about taking to much stuff, take even more! When we last went a couple of years ago, we took loads, but wish we had taken more, space and weight was not a problem. Have an amazing trip

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

The above advice is good...but when all is said and done, the fate of your boat will be in the hands of the loaders. I've acquired some fairly significant cracks and scuffs in the past...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Chas C

Post by Chas C »

I used pipe lagging foam with garden hose inside then string through the middle. Cut to size and wrapped around the sea kayak infront and behind the cockpit, tie the string and sorted.

Worked very well and foam did get some damage so appeared worth it.

This can be stored in the cockpit for the trip and return home.

blurpup

Post by blurpup »

ok thanks for the heads up - I guess paddling kit will just go as a separate bag. Pre-prepared pipe lagging buffers seems a good idea, I guess the loaders will not be wanting to wait around for you to put foam in all the right places to stop abrasion and denting.

Quick question - are the boats left in the cradle that they are lifted onto the boat with, or are they man-handled into a hold area afterwards?

Thanks- heres hoping for the current good weather to hold out for another couple of weeks

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

This was 2007 so maybe someone who has used the service more recently should comment, but I was glad my kayak was on the top in this pile. We emptied all the hatches.

I noticed the back deck was cracked when I got to the camp site on St. Agnes. I'm guessing someone stood on the back hatch.

The Nordkapp ended up on the deck so it was man-handled once it was on board. Not sure but the sides of the coaming may have been cracked at the same time from being strapped down too tightly.
Great place to paddle. Don't let this put you off. I've cause more damage paddling it!!

. . . . Ben