Kayaker finds WW2 bomb

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
zec01

Kayaker finds WW2 bomb

Post by zec01 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:41 am

In the Southend echo there is a story of how 5 illegal immigrants were caught after police were called to the beach to help deal with a WW2 bomb.
A kayaker had found the device and dragged it to within 200yards of the shore!
The Thames is littered with old bombs that were dropped by our German friends, many were dropped by pilots who apparently ducked out of rising the flight to London and obviously around Foulness there are even more, just off the Foulness coast there is an area we called the graveyard and the sands are always moving and spit out the occasional device, these are best left where they are!
If it hurts, you are still alive!

Green.media

Re: Kayaker finds WW2 bomb

Post by Green.media » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:28 am

Cant stress enough if you do find anything like this contact the coast guard and they will organise with navy divers and bomb disposal, DO NOT TRY AND MOVE IT YOUR SELF! Navy divers are very well trained and rather enjoy getting to blow a actual bomb uprather than a training dive or looking for bodies or missing things in murky lakes canals and rivers.

My dad had a similar incident on a wreck diving (possibly a sub to my memory) a few years back, hit the bottom in a fair currant so pulled him self along a cable to get to the wreck only to find the cable was snagged in the depth prop of a depth charge! Think at this point he was glad to have the currant to make a rapid run for it!

Excellent story. myself and my college were cracked up imagining immigrants shouldering the bomb to try and convert it into a shelter or a new house.

Cheers
Rich

zec01

Post by zec01 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:22 pm

I worked for the MOD at P&EE Shoeburyness years ago and people don't realise what these things can do even in their salt soaked state. As Rich said, leave it alone, even if you can't mark it with GPS or by a landmark, its best left
If it hurts, you are still alive!

Hasis

Post by Hasis » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:09 pm

"Think at this point he was glad to have the currant to make a rapid run for it!"
Was that the 'currant' [sic] he left in his drysuit?

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:32 pm

Thank Heavens for natural selection...
http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/104199 ... eauty_spot_/
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Vulch

Post by Vulch » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:42 pm

Mark R wrote:Thank Heavens for natural selection...
http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/104199 ... eauty_spot_/
I think technically that they would be required to have removed themselves from the gene pool, for natural selection to be of any value at all in this situation. However, the day is still young...