Pevensey Bay - noob guidance please

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
toaster

Pevensey Bay - noob guidance please

Post by toaster »

Hi - having only ever taken my kayak on rivers and canals before, I was taken out on the sea around ramsey in the IoM a couple of weeks back and really enjoyed it, really calm waters and we saw seals and various seabirds.

Next week we're heading down to pevensey for a couple of days and I plan to take my perception scooter out on the waves for an easy paddle (ideally with dog alongside) - anything I need to be aware of or any tips? How should I time my paddle tides-wise?

Thanks,
M

toaster

Re: Pevensey Bay - noob guidance please

Post by toaster »

Nobody?

enjoyer

Post by enjoyer »

Sorry. I have paddled it quite a bit, but it was few years ago so I was hoping somebody with more recent experience would post.

I seem to recall one small issue was worn wooden posts from the groynes (spelling?) sticking up in inconvenient places. Just need to watch out for them, not a big deal. The area around Pevensey itself it fairly clear of these but elsewhere they appear. I think the tidal drift is too and from Beachy head direction i.e. parallel to the shore.

Not a huge amount to see as fairly flat coastland. However, it is always worth getting on the water.

You could also paddle round to Sovereign Harbour (or even in it). If you pop round to the harbour masters office they will give you a booklet with tide times and give helpful advice. It is easy to drive/walk to the office (right next door to the RNLI station). The lock system is also worth seeing.

The main thing is that it is fairly straightforward paddling with usual application of safety sense.

Hope that helps until you get something more useful. As I said my info is several years out of date.

Enjoy.

MartinW

Post by MartinW »

Welcome to the world of salt water paddling. Haven't paddled Pevensey Bay so can't offer you anything specific, but please be aware that in the Almanac on this site you will find links to useful website resources like Magic Seaweed for surf/swell forecasts and Easytide for tide times all around the UK.
Have fun and be safe.
Martin
Rockpool Alaw Bach

toaster

Post by toaster »

Thanks Guys,

I have tide tables etc but (ooerr) I'm not sure how I should be timing any paddle to fit the tides and err, why. That said I am really only going to venture out a little way as am with friends who are not in kayaks and just want to tempt the dog out a ways really ;)

M

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford »

Hi Toaster,

Like you I've mostly paddled inland, with a couple of guided sea trips. I don't know Pevensey Bay, but a couple of times I paddled round Weymouth Bay in good conditions. (Not with a guide, but with friends along.) One thing I noticed was that the water was "lumpier" close to shore. Further out you might get a harmless swell that bobs pleasantly up and down, but close in the waves start to break and throw you around more. From what you say about swimming the dog, you'll be sticking close to the shore, so it's something to be aware of.

If you do have waves breaking on the beach, you want to be quick when it comes to getting out of the boat, because the next wave can pull you off the beach again.

Sorry if this is obvious or simplistic, just a couple of observations made by another newbie the only times I've gone on the sea at my own responsibility, not with somebody paid to look after me.

Mary
Not in Oxford any more...

toaster

Post by toaster »

yup - thanks - that's all useful!

M

bjoern

Post by bjoern »

I have tide tables etc but (ooerr) I'm not sure how I should be timing any paddle to fit the tides and err, why.
Hi Toaster,

I don't know Pevensey Bay, so can't give you specific advise, just would like to add some words about tidal planning.

First and most obvious: if you have low tide, you might have to carry your boat further....

Second and this is the important one, in many areas there are tidal currents which flow at different times a day at different speeds and directions. You try to plan your trip, that the current is from your back when paddling in the morning and then has turned when you want to paddle back.... In some areas of the country (e.g. Anglesey) there are tidal currents (and tide races) which are so strong that you can't paddle against them.

You find information on tidal currents on nautical charts, Pesda guides or ask someone with local knowledge (the harbor master...).
A good book on tidal planning is Franco Ferreros book on sea kayak navigation. It is money well spent once you start going out further

Wind is the other thing to be aware of. If you have an offshore wind, it will be easy to paddle out, but can be really hard to paddle against.
Bjoern
Last edited by bjoern on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toaster

Post by toaster »

Brilliant - thanks to you and others - off to have fun :)