GoPro Timelapse

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Jon352

GoPro Timelapse

Post by Jon352 »

On a trip from Keyhaven to Yarmouth and back on Saturday I decided to try out the timelapse feature on my GoPro. Set to take pictures every thirty seconds the majority of shots were of little interest, but there were enough good ones to make the experiment worthwhile. I'll do it again, but will try some different mounting locations next time.

soundoftheseagull
Location: Lives in a Pineapple but NOT under the sea, Prestatyn, North Wales

Re: GoPro Timelapse

Post by soundoftheseagull »

Wish Santa would bring me a GoPro cheers
Dave

Rockpool GT

Thompo

Post by Thompo »

If you can get hold of Quicktime Pro, you can load the images and play them back as a video file.

Can be a good touch to add to video or for making sunrise/set and cloud movment shots.

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

I've not tried it but I think the GoPro software (download from website) also allows you to generate time-lapse video.

You might want to make a short stand, to raise the camera off the deck. I made one with a suction mounting and a length of old carbon paddle shaft. I can raise the camera from a few inches to shoulder height or have it off the side as an outrigger. That Greenlander looks like a very wet ride BTW.
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

Jon352

Post by Jon352 »

Thanks for the advice guys. I’ve got some suitably sized CF tube that will be good for mounts; old RC helicopter tailbooms.
Ceegee - you’re right about the wet ride. The Greenland T is my day trip/playboat; fast and manoeuvrable but the long low front doesn’t have much lift in steep, short seas, and it’s not much of a load lugger (use my Explorer for that). The flat front deck is a good place for stowing a spare Greenland stick though.

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria »

I think this is a great way to use the camera. I make it take pictures every 1 minute or 30 seconds while filming, or when I'm not. (Last option I use especially if I've forgotten the remote controll) When I look through, I delete most of them as you did, but there are always some useable too. And those are often the kind I wouldn't get in another way, in the middle of some action I wouldn't have been able to turn it on for.

So this is I great tip, I think.

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer »

The problem with timelapse, if you're trying to catch action shots is that a lot can happen in those 30 seconds which you'll miss. I prefer to shoot video and then lift the stills from Premier while I'm cutting the video together.

Geebee

Post by Geebee »

Ceegee wrote:I've not tried it but I think the GoPro software (download from website) also allows you to generate time-lapse video.
That was exactly how I did this, to try it out.

Glyn

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

Geebee wrote:That was exactly how I did this,
Excellent, now I MUST give it a go. What picture time interval did you use? (and what is the sound track, from the Bourne Identity IIRC?)
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

Geebee

Post by Geebee »

Ceegee wrote: Excellent, now I MUST give it a go. What picture time interval did you use? (and what is the sound track, from the Bourne Identity IIRC?)
Shot at 1 second intervals, I've since done it at 0.5 and it was much smoother, but required longer to play out. Sountrack is Rob D - Clubbed to Death which was in the original Matrix film.

Glyn