Repair/Refurb Advise

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
squid_uk

Repair/Refurb Advise

Post by squid_uk »

Hey guys!

I am new to the kayaking scene but have done some a long time ago when I young lad.

I recently aquired myself a very run down and beat up fibreglass kayak and would like to have a go at repairing and refurbing it.

I have browsed around on the web and found several very helpful sites giving advice on how to repair fibreglass and gelcoats. I was wondering if you guys could advise me and give input on what you think and if it is manageable.

This is a link to pictures I have taken of the damaged areas, some are the same photo just at different angles.

http://s35.photobucket.com/user/Squid_u ... %20Project

Thanks in advanced!

MikeB

Re: Repair/Refurb Advise

Post by MikeB »

Shows as a "Private Album" for me - -

squid_uk

Post by squid_uk »

Whoops!

Try the link now!

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Ok - here's what to do - first, get one of these - -

Seriously, it's going to be a massive amount of work, but anything is possible. What is it? Why do it? Looking at the pictures, those are the first questions I'd ask.

But, you've asked for advice. Follow my sig link, then look at the DIY and Repairs page, specifically the article by Chris Bolton on repairs, and also the thread on renovating an old Nordkapp, and you'll find a mass of useful information, and the one on the Sea King. Renovating a Nordkapp may well be worthwhile, only you can judge whether your project is worth the (massive) effort.

Good luck - and welcome to the Guidebook. Mike.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I'd endorse what Mike says, it could be done, but it's a huge amount of work. Building a whole new boat from a mould would be quicker, cheaper, easier and give you a stronger and lighter boat as a result - which is not to say don't mend that one, but do be clear about why.

I rebuilt a kevlar downriver racing boat for my son to learn racing in, fully expecting that it would be written off sooner or later, so a new boat would have been a waste. It was an interesting project, but if I'd been paying for my time I'd have been better off buying a less damaged one. It was, however, a well built boat in the first place, and from what I can tell from the photos, yours was fairly ordinary even when it was brand new (no offence intended to it!)

Good luck, and do keep us informed how it goes.

Chris

JohnK

Post by JohnK »

To be honest... Put it in the skip. I assume you didn't pay anything for it. You're going to have problems of delamination, excessive weight, and it's going to cost you more than buying another one. Get yourself over to eBay.