Brittany guide

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark R

Brittany guide

Post by Mark R »

Now translated into English. Looks great...
http://www.canotier.com/english/sea/gui ... -brittany/
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Robbie C

Re: Brittany guide

Post by Robbie C »

Top right on the webpage is a translate button.... Heading over there for some paddling later in the year.

Might have to buy it!
Cheers Robbie C.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

I hesitated to start a thread on this as I have a vested interest. It should be widely available in the UK on 19th April. I would welcome any comments or reviews. This English edition incorporates quite a few updates and corrections which have turned up since the French edition came out last June and more tidal information. We seem more concerned about paddling with the tide than the French! It is completely up to date.

The launch spots are all on kayakalo http://www.kayakalo.fr/ along with many alternatives. So really easy to find.

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. »

Where's a good place to buy this?

Amazon has it, but I prefer to avoid UK firms that don't pay UK taxes.
============
Northshore Atlantic
============

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

http://www.cordee.co.uk/Sea-Kayaking-Gu ... &schtype=0

I have no idea if Cordee pay their taxes or not.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

jockey495

Post by jockey495 »

The boss assures me Cordee pay their taxes here in the UK. Only if we sell enough books though!

Lots of stock here in Hinckley.

Free P+P for any private purchases of this title in May.

Selkie

Post by Selkie »

PeterG wrote:I hesitated to start a thread on this as I have a vested interest. It should be widely available in the UK on 19th April. I would welcome any comments or reviews. This English edition incorporates quite a few updates and corrections which have turned up since the French edition came out last June and more tidal information. We seem more concerned about paddling with the tide than the French! It is completely up to date.

The launch spots are all on kayakalo http://www.kayakalo.fr/ along with many alternatives. So really easy to find.
Excellent website Peter... Thanks for posting. I will be ordering the book.
www.selkiekayak.com
Surfskikayak on Facebook

JulleG

Post by JulleG »

What an excellent site - anybody out there thinking of doing a similar thing for launch sites in the UK?

/JulleG

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

I started playing around with the Solent as you can see. http://www.kayakalo.fr/zone.php?id=184. The interface is not that easy but entering sites gets quicker as you become more experienced. I will also do it all in English from now on.

If anyone out there is interested in working on their local area I could put you in touch with the webmasters to create an area and give you the codes for entering sites in that area. They don't want to lose control and have a free for all with random entries

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I've had a copy of this guide for a few months, but not found time to jot down some notes about it.

In short, it's outstanding. Anyone thinking of going to Brittany should get a copy, anyone who isn't thinking of going to Brittany should definitely get a copy - the book alone is good enough to make you re-think and start planning a trip.

I've paddled in Brittany a few times; it was great, but of course there is a tendency to assume that hence you have 'done' Brittany. This book makes it emphatically clear that I haven't; the range and extent of paddling potential is vast, at least as much as SW England for instance.

Pros...
* Really attractive design and layout - sorry to admit it, but I think the design approach here is better than the Pesda sea guidebooks, in visual appearance anyway.
* Translation from the French is good - certainly doesn't read like you're getting the text 'second hand'. I have no idea why the publishers went to all the trouble of producing an English version (presumably the sales won't be spectacular) but I'm glad they did. I wonder if they'll now translate their Med guide?
* Good photography, nice mix of types of image.
* Useful info on local regulations, maritime authorities etc
* Clear summary maps
* Big appendix full of useful info - addresses, key translations etc

Cons...
* Tidal info is there, but mixed in with the text (and not shown on the maps). I think this works quite well, but if you just want the dry 'almanac' stuff, the style won't suit you.
* The great design layout does mean less emphasis on text - in short, there is less info in total for each section than in the equivalent Pesda books.
* The emphasis is on specific selected trips - and describing those trips - rather than info on the whole coast. There are however 60 trips, spanning the whole coast.
* For some reason they miss out a handful of the most demanding trips - the isles of Ushant/ Ouessant have always been on my wishlist for instance, but they're left out of the book (not even outline notes included), seemingly (as far as I understood the notes at the end of the book) because it's too advanced a trip. I'm not sure this makes any sense, given that they have various rather challenging spots like Pointe du Raz included.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

CharlieS

Post by CharlieS »

I'd second the positive review. I tried out a couple of the trips this summer, and the guide was great.

The translation seems really excellent.

Like any printed guide it's going to go out of date - the biscuit factory at the start point of the Quiberon Peninsular trip is now a closed-down biscuit factory, and I'd guess it'll be something else before too long.

My version had lopsided pages which means you can't see most of the page numbers. Probably just a one off, and not a problem in using it anyway.

Charlie

Le Canotier

Post by Le Canotier »

Hi, I'm the publisher of the guide.
I must apologise for my poor English.

Thank you all for your positive reviews.
I'm happy you enjoyed paddling in Brittany.

CharlieS: It may happen that the printer doesn't put out all the faulty copies. It seems that yours is one of them. I'm sorry.
I understand you can use it, but I guess you would prefer a nice one.
Please call Richard Robinson at Cordee (01455 611185), he will send you a replacement copy free of charge.

Mark R: No trouble in producing this version (maybe except for the accountant, as you guessed), it was very pleasant to work with Peter.
Regarding the guide Méditerranée, I've not planed the English version (do you really want it? and how many could you be?). Currently we are working on the other French coasts: Channel and Atlantic.
I let the authors and Peter answer to the "cons…" you listed.

Patrice

Maarten Z

Post by Maarten Z »

Le Canotier wrote:Currently we are working on the other French coasts: Channel and Atlantic.
Looking forward to that!!
I've used the guide in Corsica and am hoping to get to Brittany pretty soon... Excellent stuff and as Mark said, they really draw you to the area.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Le Canotier wrote:Regarding the guide Méditerranée, I've not planed the English version (do you really want it? and how many could you be?).
I'm certainly interested. How many would you sell? It's a circular thing - a good guidebook generates interest in the area that might not have been there beforehand. Classic example is Pete Knowles' 'White Water Nepal' which singlehanded made Nepal THE destination to paddle in, back in the mid '90s.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

CharlieS

Post by CharlieS »

CharlieS: It may happen that the printer doesn't put out all the faulty copies. It seems that yours is one of them. I'm sorry.
I understand you can use it, but I guess you would prefer a nice one.
Please call Richard Robinson at Cordee (01455 611185), he will send you a replacement copy free of charge.
Hi Patrice,

That's a very generous offer, but please don't worry. Put the cost of my free copy towards translating the Channel coast into English.
Thanks for producing the guide. We'll be back another year.

Charlie