How to lock your Kayak????^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
s.p.i.d.e.r

How to lock your Kayak????^

Post by s.p.i.d.e.r » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:41 pm

Off on Holiday this summer to Scotland but not sure of the best wat to lock my Necky Chatham to a Kayak trailer so it stay where I left it?

In my old Kayak i put a locking wire rope under the seat as the seat was bolted into the Kayak and did not come out in 30 seconds, any good ideas Please.

Cheers Spider

Drahcir Ris

Re: How to lock your Kayak????

Post by Drahcir Ris » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:42 pm

In the USA there are various types of automobile steering wheel locks. Some designs could be used across the long axis of the cockpit coaming and then locked to a trailer or roof rack with a cable lock. Are such devices available in your location?

Drahcir Ris

Post by Drahcir Ris » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:48 pm

... and note that the cable must be of stout material. Here we have the 'lasso' cable lock meant for kayaks. A good pair of side cutters can gnaw through the 'lasso' rather quickly. Of course, if someone really wants the kayak, they can get it. We just want to make it difficult enough so thieves will take their talents elsewhere.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:09 am

Remove hatch covers, seat, etc, to make it hard for them to sell?
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

JinjaCoo

Post by JinjaCoo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:58 am

What about the chunkier, lasso type bike locks? One either side of the cockpit, round the kayak at the edge of the cockpit and under the roof / trailer rack cross beam and then any excess coiled repeatedly round the cross beam so that the boat is locked down at both ends but cannot be slid out either end as the widest part of the boat is between both locks. It works in my head but might need tested first to see if you can get the locks tight enough round the boat to be secure.

zec01

Post by zec01 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:10 am

They sell straps that have wire through the edges and they lock!
If it hurts, you are still alive!

Yakdiver

Post by Yakdiver » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:00 am

I put a pad eye on my kayak and used Allan bolts to fix it in and a backing plate
http://www.s3i.co.uk/padeyesquare.php
Name Richard
Point 65n Sea Cruiser
Ocean Prowler

s.p.i.d.e.r

Post by s.p.i.d.e.r » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:40 am

Had looked at pad eye type things not sure where in ended up with that thinking, will relook into then. Have you used this idea?

The lock straps with wire in do they work well or is it just that you can cut it with a knife quick and easily.

My wire rope is from my wind surfing days, where they pass through the dagger board slot and lock down, but a very big set of bolt cutters or battery power grinder would get it cut, but how far do you go.

As for taking the seat out etc, will they only just find out when they try to sell then it too late.

Erling

Post by Erling » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:54 am

s.p.i.d.e.r wrote:The lock straps with wire in do they work well or is it just that you can cut it with a knife quick and easily.
I have two sets of these: http://kanulock.com/
They seem quite solid and are as easy to use as standard straps, but I have admittedly not tried to cut them. If you choose to believe the manufacturer, it takes more than just a knife:
Reinforced with 2 x 2.4mm Stainless Steel cables, KanuLock straps cannot be cut with a blade or knife
The older I get, the better I used to be.

s.p.i.d.e.r

Post by s.p.i.d.e.r » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:05 pm

I did not mean can you cut though the wire with a knife.
Had heard that people have there straps cut and a boats pulled off roof racks, in no time at all.

s.p.i.d.e.r

Post by s.p.i.d.e.r » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:07 pm

Have found personal trackers on the net, so taped in the inside of a hatch (not the lid) in an aquabag might help get it back if it is nicked.
What is wrong with this plan? and how often do Kayak get nicked any way or am i worrying to much?

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:20 pm

I use something like this, Image

it is 20 years old and has lost its brand name, but closes very tightly to lock almost anything firmly in place. However this review is not encouraging on how secure this one is to an equipped and determined thief.

http://road.cc/content/review/35895-mas ... cable-lock

The alternative is an alarmed cable if anyone is likely to be within earshot.

s.p.i.d.e.r

Post by s.p.i.d.e.r » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:36 pm

secure this one is to an equipped and determined thief.
Is any thing that secure? It is a case of hopefully they will move on to something else.

orkfay

Post by orkfay » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Have not so far found kayak locks to be necessary in parts of Scotland outside the major cities.
I am somewat more wary in the central belt or south of Hadrian's wall.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:01 pm

Yakdiver wrote:I put a pad eye on my kayak and used Allan bolts to fix it in and a backing plate
http://www.s3i.co.uk/padeyesquare.php
s.p.i.d.e.r wrote:Had looked at pad eye type things not sure where in ended up with that thinking, will relook into then. Have you used this idea?
I used this on a Capella I had some years ago - initially as an expedient solution to needing a bulls-eye fitting, and then found it served well as a security point too. It was fitted with stainless hex-headed bolts and a couple of very tight nuts on each of the threaded ends, it's therefore (relatively) secure and will deter the opportunist thief as it would be a bit harder to cut though than the commonly used plastic bulls eye type.

These days I tend to either loop a security cable round the sides of the seat (Tiderace) or I'll use the bulls-eye, that being one with a metal insert in the plastic body. All this said, if they want it, they'll take it irrespective of what you use. I just try to deter the opportunist and also make sure I can tell my insurers that I had secured it.

I managed to get the boats included on my household cover, new for old, all risks, so while it would be a hassle to have one stolen it's not a financial issue were it to happen.

If you're using a trailer, then I guess you'll also be considering using some form of hitch lock too?

I also echo Orkfay's views. Mike.

s.p.i.d.e.r

Post by s.p.i.d.e.r » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:43 pm

Not that worry about the Main two weeks as we are staying on the coast between Arisaig and Morar.
But it is the travel home Lakes and midlands area.

We have moved south of "Wall" a few years ago my Grand parents family where from Greenock, i am trying to find a way to getting a croft in the Western Isles but no luck yet.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:00 pm

I used to just use my towing eye, but the Taran has a security bar for locking it up.

If you are going to use a stainless eye to padlock to (it will probably be enough on it's own because it slows a thief down quite a lot) you could consider using one with security screws. There are various types, some only have the slot with a flat agaisnt the driving direction and a ramp the other way so they can be tightened but not untightened, some use a very unusual key (including types that use torx with an extra pin) although of course the keys can be bought as easily as the fittings so it is just a slow down thing really, and another type have a conventional bolt head that shears off at a pre-determined torque leaving the fixing tight and secure but not able to be undone. The first 2 types can definitely be found in stainless grades, not so sure about the last, but probably can.

Paddle Lochaber

Post by Paddle Lochaber » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Erling wrote: I have two sets of these: http://kanulock.com/
We have been using the same product on our trailers for a couple years. They definitely seem pretty solid and our insurance are happy with them.

A couple sets are starting to look a little worn and will probably need replaced at the end of this year- I'm looking forward to some destructive testing!

Mark

craigo

Post by craigo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:00 am

Hi folks i've been using standard wire lock through the seat post but also use a small rape alarm the type with a cord you pull this is tied to the trailer and the alarm body slotted under the other seat post not had anyone try their luck yet touch wood but i,m sure the noise would put anyone off

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:47 pm

As Jim says, once you're confident that something is in the right place, it's a good idea to use shear nuts on a pad-eye, e.g.
http://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/en/pr ... ar-nuts-a2

Don't forget to use A4 nuts on A2 bolts if you want to undo them at any stage.

s.p.i.d.e.r

Post by s.p.i.d.e.r » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:45 pm

going to how a look at fitting the pad-eyes, why A4 and A2 (i know they are both stainless) why not the same? e.g. A2 to A2?

Still looking at trackers seems some good ones out there that can track where you have paddled in the day a sit in your boat the rest of the time, can even set them up to send you a text if they are moved.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:25 pm

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:48 pm

Interesting references; I was broadly aware of the content but can't see anything that explains why not A4 bolts and nuts? Are you suggesting A2 bolts as they are less brittle, but A4 nuts as corrosion is more critical and brittleness less of an issue on nuts?

Chris

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:04 pm

I don't know how A4 nuts on A4 bolts compares to A4 nuts on A2 bolts.

What I do know is that there's a much wider range of A2 bolts, and they are significantly cheaper than A4. For example, so far I've not been able to source "security bolts" in A4. But then maybe that's because I got to screw shops rather than chandleries for nuts'n'bolts.

Anyway the main point is that if you're using A2 bolts, avoid using A2 nuts on them if you want to be able to easily undo them after repeated salt-water immersion.

s.p.i.d.e.r

Post by s.p.i.d.e.r » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:08 am

Thanks did not know that about using A2 and A4 together.
Have found in the pass that greasing the bolt reduces this galling type thing.

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:33 am

More likely to cold weld A4 on A4 than A2 on A2, if you are looking to be able to undo in the future a smear of copperslip grease on the threads is usually best - cold welding needs very clean threads so any contaminant can help. I am finding it difficult to to find a rationale for shear bolts that can be undone in the future though :-) Personally if I'm going to use shear bolts I expect to need to cut or grind them off if I ever have to remove them.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:40 am

OK perhaps I didn't make myself clear - use A2 security bolts with A4 nuts initially to check that the pad eye fittings are in the correct place etc.

When certain that the arrangement is correct, remove the A4 nuts and replace with A2 shear nuts....

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:02 pm

TechnoEngineer wrote:OK perhaps I didn't make myself clear - use A2 security bolts with A4 nuts initially to check that the pad eye fittings are in the correct place etc.

When certain that the arrangement is correct, remove the A4 nuts and replace with A2 shear nuts....
Ahhhh!

andyE

Post by andyE » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Works for me!

John N

Post by John N » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:51 am

I use a long double looped cable from Screwfix. http://www.screwfix.com/p/sterling-4-5m ... able/44084 Make a loop and pass it over one end of the boat, run the cable under any bars / through fixings and make a loop at the other end with a substansial padlock. Won't stop bolt croppers though.