Abrasion where heels rubs on the hull

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
JuanChanKane

Abrasion where heels rubs on the hull

Post by JuanChanKane »

Hi there, my much loved Cetus HV is showing some (pic here) abrassion signs where my heel rubs on the hull inside the cockpit.
I've been thinking about gluing a small rubber layer on the area, but I fear it may not be ideal in case of replacement for some reason.
Maybe adding a layer of fiberglass should do? I'd like to hear if somebody is facing similar issues or any thoughts on a fix.
Thanks for reading, Juan.
P&H Cetus HV -Aleutian paddle -Peak UK apparel

michelin

Re: Abrasion where heels rubs on the hull

Post by michelin »

Reed sell a product called HealEazy it's 2 pieces of the same stuff they use for keel strips and you just peel the backing paper off and stick it were your heels touch the hull.Ive put it on my boat to eliminate this happening. Quite a few people are trying it. Here's the link
http://www.chillcheater.com/aqshop/cata ... 3128&page=
Well worth the money

blurpup

Post by blurpup »

It's not completely clear from the photo but it looks like a very light patch of abrasion. Just painting a little resin on the affected area should keep things protected. Give the area a little rub down with fine glasspaper to make sure there are no rough spots afterwards.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Quite common, most of us just add a new layer of fibreglass over the top, although I still haven't got round to it on my Taran.

The Heeleazy stuff looks like a good idea, but I think I'll get a thin layer of glass (or carbon/kevlar depending on how close inspection goes) down first to ensure I retain hull strength, and then use Heeleazy to protect it.

I can't remember this problem in my Sea King, but I repaired it so frequently I probably just glassed over any heel damage before it became noticable, over and over again :-)

Oh yes, Douglas always recommends rinsing the boat out with fresh water regularly - it's not just our heels doing damage but the sand and stuff that collects in boats and gets ground into the laminate by our heels!

Boots

Post by Boots »

glue some karrimat type stuff on the floor... comfy as well

Derek Marshall

Post by Derek Marshall »

The foam will ware out in no time i fear.
I have glued 2 small sections of formica laminate into my sprint kayak and they have now worn through the decorative layer after 6 years.
The Reed product above sounds a much better option.

michelin

Post by michelin »

The HealEazy from Reed that I mentioned above is the quickest and easiest fix for you. I think you will be pleasantly suprised how good it is. I am totally happy with it on my boat

Boots

Post by Boots »

it hasnt worn out on mine .....