Pain in the Virgo

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Rudieward

Pain in the Virgo

Post by Rudieward »

My current plastic kayak is a Virgo HV. Having paddled it for a couple of years I’m feeling increasingly unhappy with it for two reasons. 1. The seat seems to high and as a consequence I feel unstable in the boat and 2. After an hour or so the muscles on the top of my legs at the front get incredibly painful. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issues and whether there are any handy fixes out there. I also paddle a Romany Excel and feel very at home in its cockpit and don’t get any of the issues mentioned above. Thanks
Chris Bolton

Re: Pain in the Virgo

Post by Chris Bolton »

Seat position is always a problem, as paddlers are not all the same shape. Some seats suit some paddlers, the same seats really annoy others. I have a Virgo LV and was just thinking about whether to modify the seat, in my case I think I might find it better tilted forwards a bit. The seat in the LV is almost on the bottom of the boat, surely P&H haven't used the same seat on the HV and hung it off the higher deck? If it's too high, I'd either take it out and lay it on the bottom of the boat or fit a foam seat, see viewtopic.php?t=134617
seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

If you have got the P&H 'Connect' seating set up in your Virgo, before you do anything else drastic just try un-popping the fabric seat cover/cushion/liner and removing it. The hard basic seat is surprisingly comfortable beneath. I have a P&H Delphin and after my first paddle in it when new, an experienced coach suggested this to me and it was amazing the difference it made just being a few mm lower.
Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I also took the fabric cushion off the seat in my Virgo, mainly to allow me to rotate in the seat for efficient paddling. It also seemed pointless, and liable to soak up water.
Rudieward

Post by Rudieward »

Thank you both. I suspect P&H have just used the same seat for all different volumes of Virgo. I may be wrong.

I will try taking the padding out as you suggest, then may do some more drastic tinkering!

Return to “Sea Kayaking”