A different side to Loch Lomond.

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Owen

A different side to Loch Lomond.

Post by Owen »

leighv

Re: A different side to Loch Lomond.

Post by leighv »

I watched that video a while back and it was both heartbreaking and infuriating. When I visited in February I picked up as much litter as I could but there was so much that I couldn’t (a lot of litter is strewn along the steep rocky shores of the islands that just aren’t possible to safely land on). Some of the litter I found was completely bewildering too; like the full, tied rubbish bag full of litter near my one campsite that had been tossed into the bracken. So they collected their rubbish, sealed it up, and then… just ditched it anyway.

I cannot fathom why people litter. I’ve seen a lot of apologist nonsense over the last few years about “people don’t know the outdoor code”, but that’s just ridiculous. I knew littering was wrong by the time I was four or five. People who litter are just selfish pigs.

And don’t get me started on the shit.
Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

What REALLY annoys me (on my local beach) is collecting various litter, flotsam and jetsam (including numerous plastic cups from Coffee Vans plying their trade), either on walks or floating offshore, then finding ZERO bins in the council car park (hosting aforesaid vans) and having to take it home in my car and pay to dispose of it at the local council recycling centre.
Cheers,
Steve C. G.
leighv

Post by leighv »

You have to pay for recycling?
Owen

Post by Owen »

leighv wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:05 am
Not for household waist but if it's deemed commercial waist then yes.
Mark Graham

Post by Mark Graham »

Landing on Luinga Mhor a few years ago I came across and abandoned rubbish filled campsite. Everything from half eaten food, clothes, packaging, sleeping bags, blow up mattress, etc etc.
There was way way more than I could ever have conceivably taken away in my kayak, even with multiple trips (and it wasn't as if there was anywhere nearer than Arisaig where I might possibly have been able to dispose of it). A moral dilemma ensued - I didn't feel able to just leave it but the only and least worst option seemed to be to try and bury the lot in the depths of an overgrown gully just inland of the bay. So that's what I did, with no little regret and a troubled conscience.
I just don't understand some attitudes to leaving rubbish behind anywhere, especially in wild places. Hopefully the group that left this lot behind (who might not have been kayakers?) are happily back in Benidorm or somewhere now.
ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

I guess we all get irate with litter, Especially when it must be hard to avoid the fact that it should be well known that litter and plastics in particular are harming the environment. There seems to be a huge lack of taking personal responsibility. Just look at many roadsides and roundabouts.
Today I went for some physio on my shoulder which I painfully tweked during rolling practice about a month ago, she had only just returned to work having seriously hurt a foot picking up litter along a local beach, the harm occurred a little inland retrieving dumped dog poo bags which is another issue.
Apparently the litter situation is exacerbated by the fact that coastal erosion has exposed an old landfill site
rockhopper

Post by rockhopper »

It seems completely imbecilic......to decide that somewhere is beautiful and go there but be content to leave rubbish/debris/litter when you leave thus spoiling the beauty of the location...how does that even pan out in their heads...or maybe the point is that they don't even consider their actions.
It is the same with some people who go fishing. Turn up somewhere lovely to spend some time in nature and possibly catch supper and then leave a pile of rubbish that you can't be arsed to take back to the car.

Rog.
leighv

Post by leighv »

Last month a friend and I were paddling on Ullswater, and found an almost brand new Eurohike tent abandoned in some bracken at Silver Bay because the door zipper had partly broken (it was repairable). Just another example of our ludicrous throwaway culture. Suffice to say, we took it away, and my friend is organising for it to be repaired.

Whilst it's a good thing that affordable gear makes the outdoors more accessible, the downside is that idiots who have no respect for the environment will go out camping and ditch all their budget gear when they decide it's not worth hauling back.
Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

leighv wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:05 am
In Ireland, where I'm currently, yes there's a €5 (£4) flat fee to enter the facility, even for "free" items like electrical appliance. Bottles, cans, paper are free but other stuff gets charged again by weight, on top of the entry fee. I wouldn't mind but I often collect a black bin bag full of other peoples rubbish when I walk the dog on the beach, and it can cost me up to £10 😡
Cheers,
Steve C. G.
Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

Mark Graham wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:38 pm
Hopefully the group that left this lot behind (who might not have been kayakers?) are happily back in Benidorm or somewhere now.
Spain is pretty strict on littering and recycling, and the rules are enforced. The popular beaches are combed nightly for rubbish, and even leaving a cigarette butt gets you a €300 fine.

So maybe Benidorm isn't their best choice.
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

Return to “Sea Kayaking”